How To Connect Xbox 360 To Wifi?

(do not read this and be like: "Why such a big essay!!!"... but I ain't forcing you to read this!)

Ok, so this may sound nooby and stuff, but seriously how do you do it?

I hope no ones like "OMG he has an Xbox but can't connect to the internet!!!"

I've tried everything but it just doesn't work... I used to have a usb wifi of 9.3 mbps speed, the Xbox didn't connect to it..

Later on I changed internet to wired wifi and It still didn't work! The computer internet used to be super fast and all that stuff but it Broke later... FYI it was just 4mbps but faster...

Now I have a Cloud wifi, you know the one that charges and can be used on the move... It is 36mbps and probably Pakistan's fastest internet but still does not connect to the Xbox! Downloading torrents is super fast but gaming is laggy...  :(

Can anyone tell me why that's happening?

Please don't start a console war or force me to buy a ps3 or ps4 because I can't afford it.... I can't buy a Xbox One either... I'm stuck with this stuff... Every Xbox 360 game is pirated and costs like $1.3 or cheaper whereas others are expensive...

The internet test on Xbox always gives an error while connecting to the internet but there's a green line between Xbox and network (see in the picture)

If it matters, It is a Xbox 360 Go 250gb edition... Please ask me if any other info is required... 

And yeah I know most of this was unrelated stuff but my f'ing mind thought it would help!

Thanks!  :D

post-17506-0-35704800-1433078974_thumb.png

Edited by Derpazing

Try reset console, then start again. Usually it will get to a screen where you have to select your wifi and you have to enter your WEP and password to access your router.

• Like 1

Hmmm its strange that it'll connect to the router but not the internet. Are you able to change the DNS settings on the xbox?

============= Edit =============

Changing DNS on xbox360:

1. Go to My Xbox, and then select System Settings.

2. Select Network Settings.

3. Select Wired Network or the name of your wireless network, if you are prompted to do so.

4. Select Configure Network.

5. On the Basic Settings tab, select DNS Settings

6. Select Manual.

7. Select Primary DNS Server and Enter the primary DNS server with following Smart DNS Proxy Service IP and then select Done.

Set primary dns to: 8.8.8.8

Secondary dns to: 8.8.4.4

8. Restart your xbox

Edited by ajnl
  • Like 2

... It is 36mbps and probably Pakistan's fastest internet but still does not connect to the Xbox! Downloading torrents is super fast but gaming is laggy...  :(

Can anyone tell me why that's happening?

Iirc, a fast internet does not just have one factor that decides wheter it's good for purpose a (surfing, streaming) or purpose b (gaming). In this case, purpose a needs high bandwith and does not really care about latency aka ping. This is usually sold in a package for TV over internet. Ofcourse, we gamers like low pings so it needs another setting at your internet provider's side. In my country, I have to call my provider to make him set the fastpath / low ping stuff, since they don't do that for all, and I need to have some things checked (close to their knot, good inhouse cable etc.).

I'm no console expert what so ever, all I ever had was a super ninendo when I was 10 or so :D

• Like 1

From google:

you may have to open / forward the ports depending on what method you are using (Router setting):

• Port 88 (UDP) 
  • Port 3074 (UDP und TCP) 
  • Port 53 (UDP und TCP) 
  • Port 80 (TCP) 

source

• Like 1

ajnl and docwarren it doesn't work.... same error: DNS server encountered shit and stuff :help

what is the exact error?

The DNS server can't resolve xbox live server names. 

Put that in google, result.

Disclaimer: please consider that I'm not aware of your network installation, your needs or your customizations of the latter, so what ever steps you take and what ever the outcome is, I will refuse to be responsible. Just tryin' to help you out. Just read carefully & think ahead, k? =)

• Like 2