Learning English continues..

486f38cafbea8c08196a6f44374fbb9a.jpg

I have terrible issues when i need to use In or On..

sometimes i mix both and used incorrect that word in the sentence (but still it sounds correct for me) since its kinda a small difference spanish between both words

Right on, Lume. you're in the confused area of English grammar and should be on the learning curve. In regards to your post, and on the same subject, the two words can easily be confused when using them in a sentence where you want to be on target with correct grammar usage. 

Grandpa.jpg

• Like 3

'should of' instead of 'should have' is a common mistake as well

An example will be more helpful and appreciated.

• Clan Friend

An example will be more helpful and appreciated.

I read many times things like 'I should of done this', instead of the correct 'I should have done this'.

Again, it must be a pronunciation thing because 'of' and 'have' are 2 totally different words, I don't know how it's even possible to mistake them.

• Leader

BTW, "all bets are off" when we are quick-typing on the servers with no spell-checkers.  I call that "Gamer English", which is also influenced by other languages.  :)  

That is not the same as when you type with your fingers off of the home-row!

yjsy od mpy yjr ds,r sd ejrm upi yu[r eoyj upit gomhrtd pgg pg yjr jp,r=tpe@

• Like 1

Advice/advise, here advice is a noun and advise is a verb right?

AdviceThe word advice is a noun meaning a suggestion for a beneficial course of action.

(Advice rhymes with mice.)

Examples:

• Take my advice. I don't use it anyway. bultick.gif
  • He who can take advice is sometimes superior to him who can give it. bultick.gif
  • Many receive advice, but only the wise profit from it. bultick.gif

AdviseThe word advise is a verb meaning to give advice. (It rhymes with prize.) To advise can also mean to notify (e.g., I advised him I was leaving.)

Examples:

• I have found the best way to give advice to your children is to find out what they want and then advise them to do it. bultick.gif
  • The rich are always advising the poor, but the poor seldom return the compliment. bultick.gif
  • Attach yourself to those who advise you rather than praise you. bultick.gif
  • Women will never be as successful as men because they have no wives to advise them. bultick.gif
  • Like 1

Advice/advise, here advice is a noun and advise is a verb right?

Some noun/verb confuses me too for example : affect and effect.

I found an interesting word so thought to share :

Eccdentesiast : An eccdentesiast is a person who fakes smile to hide his pain .

• Like 2

• Leader

god damn english is hard

I once read that the son of an Australian diplomat was in school in Japan.  He was dyslexic in English, but not in Japanese.

Here are some interesting excerpts from http://www.hastac.org/blogs/cathy-davidson/dyslexia-differs-language-think-again

This is also one reason why English-speakers have among the highest reported rates of dyslexia. English is among the least regular phonetic languages, with more radical variation than almost any other language. Historically, English is a confluence of different languages with radically different relationships between the grouping of letters and the pronounciation of sounds represented by those groupings. You have to keep switching "rules" to be able to read modern English.

Modern English blends Old English, French and German. The rules of those three languages are already conflicting, but modern English spelling wasn't firmed up until the 16th century, with the advent of mass printing. The first printers tended to be Dutch and tended not to know the English language they printed. They often put a Dutch cast and Dutch rules onto the manuscripts they received where, previously, there was no standard of consistency in spelling. The child who learns to read English "phonetically" today is having to filter out a lot of irregularity and even more dissonance between the written and the spoken language. "Sound it out!" the teacher says. Right. Think about it. Look at this short paragraph and think about consistent rules for sounding out just about anything here. (Or is it hear?)

So you have kids learning the authority of school at exactly the same time they're being told rules for pronunciation and reading that don't make sense. Maybe it's hard to explain to a kid that the rules are inconsistent because of the history of linguistics and mass printing in English. But you can emphasize that the rules are contradictory and point to places where memorization is pretty much the only way to get them right.

That fidgety first-grader who "doesn't get" the phonetics rules? He's right! He should not have to be told to suppress his alert, critical instincts. He or she should be applauded for good observational skills, praised for not accepting rules blindly when they don't make sense, and helped with other methods. He shouldn't be branded LD.["Learning Disabled"] (I keep using "he" because the majority of dyslexic kids in the US are male--and that may well be as much about authority as it is about brains, too.)

Let us all blame the Dutch for this mess!   :)

• Like 3

• Clan Friend

I once read that the son of an Australian diplomat was in school in Japan.  He was dyslexic in English, but not in Japanese.

I must be the opposite :D

never had this problem with other languages, but last day I read honjitsu (本日 = today) as nihon (日本 = Japan)

• Like 1

What does it mean: "chuffed to bits of my bank account?"

Well chuffed to bits means happy or pleased....