Star Wars Battlefront: probably going to suck

gibson66

(sorry for the click-bait title...)

"less is not more. More is more."

As I'm sure most of you know, the new trailer for Star Wars: Battlefront dropped recently. I've never been a massive star wars fan, but star wars: Battlefront II ranks as one of my all-time favorite games; naturally I was excited when I heard that Dice, the brains behind the battlefield series, were working on a new installment in the battlefront series. They've made some of the best modern arcade-y military shooters and I was interested to see how they'd handle such a beloved franchise.

But let's face facts. This game is going to suck. As I see it, there are 4 major issues that I've spotted based on the limited information we have:

1) no fleshed out single-player campaign.

2) only rebels and the empire.

3) 4 planets, two maps per planet.

4) NO f***ING SPACE BATTLES.

1) I never had multiplayer as a kid, back in the glory-days of the ps2. Naturally, I spent a lot of time in the campaign and the galactic domination mode where you controlled a capital-ship from one of the 4 major factions. For what it's worth, I really enjoyed the campaign of battlefront 2, which put you in the shoes of a clone-trooper who lives through nearly every major battle of the movie franchise.  And I recall enjoying the campaign in the first battlefront as well, although I should admit most of the time I played the second installment instead of the 1st. So what does Dice decide to do? screw the campaign, what gamers want is co-op side missions. And what's worse, the developers said that they're intended to be rather short and replayed on higher difficulties later. That's bullshit-ese for "we didn't really try, so we'll just stick less stupid AI in the same maps and hopefully players won't care." FFS, Dice. It's Star Wars. The story's already written (on that note, f*** J.J. Abrams. Stop ruining everything, you overrated franchise killer). You don't even have to hire writers, just watch the f***ing movies and take notes. When the movies end, look down at your notes. THERE'S YOUR STORY.

2) to be honest, I don't care for the rebels. The empire is interesting, but I've always thought the droids were far in a way the coolest faction. Most gamers my age (18-25 regions; you know, battlefront 3's target audience...) grew up with the latter half of the movie franchise as our introduction to the series. I'm not here to argue about the merits of those installments in the franchise, but it seems stupid to not have clone wars involved. On top of that, having 4 factions and 2 wars gave the combat some variety. Sure, many if not all of the gameplay elements stayed the same from faction to faction but playing as the droids felt a lot different from playing as the rebels. Cutting that down to 2 factions reduces variety and means that players are going to get bored faster.

3) battlefront 1 had 12 maps. Battlefront 2 had 24 maps, with 6 of those being space battles. Battlefront 3 is going to have 8 maps- wait, what the f***? Anybody else see something wrong with that?

4) YA DONE f***ED UP, DICE. If you need more explanation than that, go play the space battles in battlefront 2.

I hate being that guy, but this is utter bullshit. We're two consoles ahead of the last entry into the battlefront series and you'd think the considerable upgrades in tech during the gap would have allowed for a bigger, more expansive game, but nope. We're being given less maps, less combat scenarios, less factions, less everything. What do we get in return? Better lighting effects and the ability to put a paint job on my AT-ST? Gaming budgets are at a record high and it amazes me that as time progresses, were being continual served smaller and smaller portions of the same mediocre shit very year. Less is not more, Dice.

Oh, and don't give me that shit about how space battles and different planets will be DLC. Any proper game should be flipping tables at the thought of having to pay 60 dollars for 75 % and having to pay extra for the last 25%. I hate how this has become a thing in gaming and it's a goddamn travesty that gaming developers consider it ok to charge gamers extra if they want an entire game.

Sorry, Dice. Battlefront holds a special place in the heart of gamers and it deserves a hell of a lot better than what you're going to giving us. 

• Like 3

Why judge? How you know its gona suck when you didnt even play or saw it?

Edited by equaLz~

Why judge? How you know its gona suck when you didnt even play or saw it?

"Why judge?" I'm judging because the past iterations of the series are some of my favorite games of all time. I'd rather see the series stay dead than watch EA and Dice crap out some DLC-laden abomination of a game with nowhere near enough content.

"How you know its gona suck when you didnt even play or saw it?" They've provided enough information for me to determine that it will, in fact, suck. If what they've said is true, then the game is going to be a absolutely pathetic. 4 planets? Really Dice? the ps2 battlefront had 17 planets. f***ING SEVENTEEN.

I don't understand how someone can look at the information they've released (half the factions, a third the planets, no campaign, no space battles) and come to any other conclusion than battlefront 3 will be yet another reskinned, half-assed piece of shit that's somehow become the norm in the gaming industry.

And no, my anger is not directed at you personally. I logged so many hours on battlefront 1 and 2 that I'm absolutely infuriated by the idea that one of my favorite series of all time is being subjected to modern gaming mediocrity. 

I have never played Battlefront or even watched Star wars (yeah I'm one of those). But i like Battlefield games.

And this is going to be Battlefield but change the visuals for Star wars ones.

And the game will probably be 70$ with a premium pack for more planets, maps and maybe a new faction for another 60$.

It's EA and it won't change. Don't buy and other people will. I don't know what are the sales for BF Hardline, but I'm sure it's doing fine even though it should just be a big mode for BF4.

• Like 1

I played the orignal 10 years ago and it was good, but from the sounds of it, the lack of content is this one is killing it for me already, it looks like a half job, that will get some dlcs and then get abandoned

• Like 1

I kinda have to agree on the whole where the **** are our space battles, those where so much fun the battlefront 2, and yea a lack of maps makes things seem repetitive and boring, as does there being only 2 factions. I'm noticing new games seem to start of with fewer maps then add some, either threw DLC or general updates, so I can only hope this Is one of those times. However Im going to be so disappointed if they introduce space battles as a DLC, especially if the price is extortionate.

• Like 1

Sorry I only briefly skimmed the post xD

Is this all that has been confirmed? Like there still could be more? Or is it for sure all that is going to be in the game.

Honestly I have been wanting this game for years but after recent game release, I won't pre-order it or get their special bundle, or even buy it until I see an actual in game review of its contents and what it actually has to offer.

• Like 1

Sorry I only briefly skimmed the post xD

Is this all that has been confirmed? Like there still could be more? Or is it for sure all that is going to be in the game.

Honestly I have been wanting this game for years but after recent game release, I won't pre-order it or get their special bundle, or even buy it until I see an actual in game review of its contents and what it actually has to offer.

I don't blame you in the least for not reading it. It's kind of after the fact, but I openly admit that post was a mad rambling.

I tried to remain as factual as possible, and to the best of my knowledge, everything I said was true.

Another update came out recently that's worth noting: the AT-AT will be on rails. That's right. On the Hoth map, the place where the AT-AT was immortalized, the players won't be able to drive it.

This is the AT-AT for anyone who isn't privy to star wars:

All_Terrain_Armored_Transport_in_Star_Wa