Torchlight II

Name: Torchlight II

Type: RPG

Cost: Honestly don't know. VIggy bought it for me. :)

Never have played Torchlight, the original, I was weary that I would not enjoy this game. It sounded lame, devoid of promise and action, lackluster in the realm of adventure and fps, etc. I'm sure I could come up with more reasons and excuses not to play. Yet played I did. And with not internet this game soon became my friend. I'd play for hours delving into changing my pet into other creatures, enchanting my weapons and in general being a badass killing stuff. And as the hours progressed the more I enjoyed the game and picked up on the little nuances that were slighted. For example there was a reference in one part of the map to Silence of the Lambs, in which you place a bottle in a bucket and lower into a pit. Rewards?! By all means, gold rained from the skies. Who knew that being a pyscho killer for a second could reap such rewards. 

The game is pretty basic. It harnesses the general controls of a,w,s,d, ctrl, space. You start your game on a quest to find the Alchemist and regain control of the spirit gods (in a sense) with challenges and fights more epic along the way. As with all games you level up, eventually reaching the maximum level of 100. Which is unfortunate, because you just want to keep playing and playing, leveling up and becoming more powerful. Along the way you encounter bosses and mega-bosses, reaping rewards by the plenty. But what do you do with so many goodies? How do you decide what to use and what to sell? Well that's the beauty of the game. You have to be strategic; you have to learn what works best for you. Did I mention you get to choose between four characters all with their own specialty. You have the Embermage, whose strength lies in spells and use of wands and staffs. The Engineer, whose expertise of swords and large manual weapons can kill foes easily. The Berserker, who is just downright crazy calling upon the spirit of the wolf to bring down his enemies. Lastly, but not least, there is the Outlander who finds solace in bringing down foes with projectile weapons (guns, bows, you know). 

With these charcaters you develop skill trees, spells, and specials. Certain armor and weapons can only be used by your class, and in general get better and better as you go along. There are many types of weapons, from the basic to rare. Many weapons have the ability to insert gems or socketables, which give it special features, like calling dead foes forth to fight for you or rain acid and fire. As you progress through the game you really have to decide what to do, what to wear, what powers to harness. etc. 

But enough yimmer-yamering. Buy the game and experience the thrill for yourself.

Pros:

- Maps are large to allow for exploration and often times have hidden quests and rooms that allow for more loot and experience.
- The Phase Beast offers challenges that usually generate large rewards.

- The option of sharing items between all characters is a plus. Or you can be greedy and keep them for yourself.

- You get a pet, who often times is more powerful then you, which helps in boss fights.

- Depending on your class, when you die you don't have to start over.

- There is multiplayer.

- When you finish you have the option of starting over and over or go to mapworks.

Cons:

- Maps are large, so if you die, expect to walk all the way back. And you will die, many times.

- You have to read what your armor, fish and weapons do. Sometimes they can kill you.

- Bosses are generally easy to beat. 

- There are no extra levels past 100 so you have to really think about what skills you want to max.

I'd give this a 9 out of 10. :)

• Like 2

Its often compared to Diablo and I died a lot less than in Diablo II. Diablo III is a walk in a park compared to both, died only 2 times in first playthrough. But the game did still lack the feeling of Diablo, though it has the opportunity to LAN as in good old times. DIII in other hand is more expensive but had the old good Diablo feelin into it.

Not bad game though, especially if you´ll get your hands on it on steam sale.

• Like 1

Yeah. I think it's was bought for me during steam sale. Never played Diablo but I agree. It has a great feel for LAN or even basic host server.

• 1 month later...

A big + for TL II is that there are custom leagues / realms (sorry, can't remember clearly, long time ago) hosted by private players and not the company. You get the stuff in steam for free, even.

I had a blast playing TL II, mainly because I abused the prismatic-target-seeking bolts mage and went full glass cannon. Sure death had some drawbacks, but it's a game and about having fun for me :-)

• 2 weeks later...