Haven't left, just can't play

TulsaGeoff

So I haven't been gaming in awhile... It sucks :/

I've been needing to fix my power supply for a very long time now. Probably over a year and a half. About 2 months ago, I installed a EVGA 750w or 850w to replace my Corsair 1000w and OCZ 500w. The motherboard connector on the Corsair was badly damaged (melted), so I was running two power supplies. It looked like shit with cables everywhere and the case open. I also know that I was wasting a good amount of money in electricity running both with the Corsair running via the paper clip trick (google it). The 10 year old OCZ couldn't do the job alone. Props to OCZ making a quality product though that still works.

Well I replaced the PSU's with the EVGA and once I fired it up, I saw my case lights flickering on and off. Then I smelled that terrible electric burn smell. Well it destroyed one of my WD Black hard drives that running in a raid 0 configuration. So now I lost my main drive and Windows install. That part isn't that big of a deal. They were pretty old and it is probably time to finally get a SSD. But now I can't get the motherboard to post. So I would say it is likely that the motherboard is damaged. I've only messed with it once so who knows. It may magically work. I do not believe there is a short anywhere. 

I'm thinking what happened was that the modular cables from the Corsair were not compatible with the EVGA... Who would have known. That or the is PSU is defective and f***ed up all my shit. I'm really not wanting to connect it to anything else. Unplugging everything will not get my motherboard to post the last time I tried to fix this. 

So, potentially I need to build a new PC. New power supply, motherboard, ram, processor, etc  :censored . Best case scenario is that my motherboard works and only that one hard drive is done. Not sure what I'm going to do, but I don't want to waste money. I am also super busy at work until the end of March, and need to pay taxes before spending any money.

Thought I'd check in. This also gives Mule and my fellow fraggers some time to get some practice in  :wub:  :camper

Cheers

:cheers

• Like 4

Im not playing too much either lately! Too much work and tired at night, but I still join server to talk and bond with the other players and have fun with the adminchat.

We miss ya Mr. Damage Dealer, even with practice I wont make it to your level! Im still bad, my KR was a lie in the past, is still droping and now im in 2.92  :(

Hope you get money after the paying the taxes and try to rebuild or fix your pc (or what can be saved).

:wub:  luv ya Tulsa and once again we miss you in HC!  :camper  

• Like 1

There should be standards but it could be that every manufacturer marks with rectangle\round wire connectors wires differently. And being Corsair has all black wires? mobos connection was inserted in PCI-e or vice versa and boom... Its even possible to force wrong wires in wrong connector on PSU...

• 2 weeks later...
  • Leader

I'm thinking what happened was that the modular cables from the Corsair were not compatible with the EVGA... Who would have known.

There should be standards but it could be that every manufacturer marks with rectangle\round wire connectors wires differently. And being Corsair has all black wires? mobos connection was inserted in PCI-e or vice versa and boom... Its even possible to force wrong wires in wrong connector on PSU...

Ow, ow, ow. :cry That reminds me of the old Dell PSUs and MotherBoards, which had non-standard wiring.  You could not replace a Dell PSU with a 'standard' one, nor use a Dell PSU on a 'normal' mobo.  In this case, the wiring problem is at the other end of the cable!

Tulsa, thanks for the hard-bought 'tip'.  I hope that I remember it when the time comes. :(