Eggtato

Now most of you know that I'm 16 which in the UK means I can apply and join the army now. This is something I've been quite passionate for a long time, I haven't exactly mentioned it to my parents apart from the one time when at my school they had a like an open evening for local companies for possible jobs if we leave school...

Just a brief note for those of you people not aware of how the British school system works.

You have to stay in school until you are 18 now (unless you get an apprenticeship, training (army))

You have

Primary school consists of reception (year 0) - year 6 ages 4 1/2 to 11

Secondary school (year 7 to year 11) ages 11-16

I'm currently in year 11 important year for as it is gcses (general certificate of secondary education) this will give me results so that I can go on and study courses at 6th form year 12-13 ages16-18

Then it's uni.

So this is where I am at, I'm quite a healthy 16 yr old, always looked after myself, played football since I was 5. Predicted high grades for gcses and just made my decisions on what options to take for 6th form

I chose: physics, geography, biology and maths.

However my dilemma being I am extremely passionate about joining the army and wanting to serve for my country and seeing as I can apply now I was planning on waiting until the end of this school year and then apply and then use my application for 6th form as a back-up, but I have had many of my friends come up to me and be like joining the army is a stupid idea all you're going to do end up dead and it would destroy your family. I mean yeah okay they have a point but then I've have had others be like it's your life don't let anyone stop what you want to do.

But seeing as I am only 16 I would need parental consent... Which I know for sure I wouldn't get from my mum...

So do I wait until I'm 18 or try persuading my mum?

Also I have done a lot of research into joining the army and I can't find anything negative about serving for my country.

I ask you guys as a community for some feedback on this:

If you're either in the army or an ex-army member I would like to hear your stories about being in the army and your own experience was it worth it?

If you have a family member or friends in the army what has your experience been of if?

And for other members to just help and give there opinion on the subject and what I should do.

As this would seriously help me with this hard decision.

Much appreciated

$iLv3rfang

Edit: sorry if there is any spelling errors currently on iPad so auto-correct kicks in...

Wait until 18 ^^

As kids our perspective is very different than as when you get older. :)

You might be all for it now, but at 18 who knows? I even think 18 is a little young these days because of the generation shift (young adults grew up fast pre 60's) ..these days not so much.

I simply advise taking time to understand fully what you are getting into and how it may our may not affect you in the long run. :)

Whatever your choice good luck.

Also I'm on a phone, spelling bee damned!

• Like 2

• Leader

If you continue your studies, you might be able to become an Officer or a pilot.  A military person, like an FA Admin, needs patience.  :)

• Like 2

I was kinda thinking 18, because then I can get my a-levels and then try to join the army and if it fails then I can always apply for uni whenever because of my a-levels.

But thank you for the feedback :)

• Like 1

No stay another two years so you can kill me some more. ;)

$ilver, going into the army is a big thing. Somebody like me, I've always dreamed of going to university, getting a masters in business and becoming a billionaire. I've never really thought of going into the army, though. I think it is a great thing, serving your country, but it also has it's risks. You come back a changed man, if you serve and watch people get killed every day. Its not the same as a video game. If you have watched some good war movies like American Sniper for example, it changed him.

Although I have not been in the army and I am younger than you, I think that you should wait another two years to make the decision because it gives you more time to develop a perspective and to get information. But what do I know...

• Like 1

No stay another two years so you can kill me some more. ;)

$ilver, going into the army is a big thing. Somebody like me, I've always dreamed of going to university, getting a masters in business and becoming a billionaire. I've never really thought of going into the army, though. I think it is a great thing, serving your country, but it also has it's risks. You come back a changed man, if you serve and watch people get killed every day. Its not the same as a video game. If you have watched some good war movies like American Sniper for example, it changed him.

Although I have not been in the army and I am younger than you, I think that you should wait another two years to make the decision because it gives you more time to develop a perspective and to get information. But what do I know...

What do you know? A lot from what I just read I'm taking in everyone's opinions and stuff and I know it's not the same as a video game you don't get the chance to respawn... And I've seen how it changes people, I've also seen how some people go into the army and come out with a good experience and some come out with a bad one... And it's a life decision like the decision to go on to uni or go and get an apprenticeship or which subject you're going to take they all plan out your life pretty much.

Like I'm passionate about my football but you know when you were little and you dreamed about becoming a famous footballer (soccer player) or becoming someone really famous, most of my dreams I had were about the army and at one stage in my life I want to follow through with those dreams I had when I was 8-11 and not going to lie I still get those dreams about joining the army because it's just one of those things I have a massive passion for.

You should go through university first and then look at your options once you have more skills and education.

You should never make any life decisions without the blessing of your parents.

You should learn more languages.

You should join an acf first and look at getting some btechs before university

You should go through at least 2 paid jobs and pay taxes for at least a year.

• Like 4

The only problem with all of that is I could quite easily get the blessing from my dad, it's my mum that would be the problem... And already know French and Spanish and currently learning german with a personal tutor.

I'm in the US Navy currently. Been in for about a year now, I finished basic training on my 23 birthday, but I had thoughts of joining the marines as a younger man. I'm so grateful that I went to uni for a few years. I have a much better perspective on life and what I'm sacrificing for than many of my comrades. 

My joining was not just to serve my country; that is a huge part, but I joined to better myself. To push myself out of my shell, to give me unique experiences and to work with some of the most awe-inspiring machines and quality people.

I thought a lot about how I could best serve my country, and carrying a rifle wasn't it. There is a need for that and if that is what you truly want to do, get some uni experience or at least wait a few years.

just my 2 cents.

• Like 2

Definitely wait to finish your education before making the decision. The more education you have, the more options you'll have in front of you.

Further, those few extra years will give you a lot of insight into the world. Your whole outlook can change in a very short time. I'm not saying education will deter you from wanting to join, but it can give you a better idea of what you're walking into.

Personally, my plan is to join the JAG corps once I'm done with law school. I believe in civic duty and while I can say with a good degree of certainty I'd be useless holding a rifle, there are still ways I can contribute. Just my 2 cents. 

TL;DR: version. Wait a few years, get an education.

• Like 1

Just to add to the above from an old man lol. I agree with everyone who posted wait until you are 18. You won't miss anything and your decision on what you want to do might change. Finish your education! Unless you plan on making the military a carreer. Your education will be needed when you finish your enlistment. By that time you will be a man and might want to do other things. ;)

• Like 1