Avast... Avg...

Eggtato

So this is the first time I have written about my PC problems... But this is a serious one.

So I've been urging my dad to get avast on the computer for ages as it is better than avg by a lot, so this week he does it and gets malwarebytes as well. Now ever since he has done this my in game fps has been f**king up, and the computer itself has been running really slow.

Now when he put avast on he did a whole PC scan nothing was found and I did a scan earlier today no viruses were found... But tonight around 8:30-9 usually when it gets really slow all the other nights I was playing COD4 and the fps went so bad it just lagged out my computer so much that it stayed crashed and so I had to do a manual shut down and restart it up.

So I restarted it and managed to get on to my account and it loaded up fine until I went to start up COD4 and it took 5 minutes to start up... Heretic knows about this :) so I get into cod4 finally and see my fps acting fine so I quit and then realize that my dad didn't uninstall avg... As I'm doing this I go to task manager but I am unable to and all I have now is a windows blue screen with please wait and the loading symbol.

Question number 1) would having avast and avg on my computer at the same time mess up the cpu usage and cause my computer to run slow? (If so my dad is stupid not to uninstall avg first...)

2) would it affect my in-game gameplay?

3) if avg and avast is the problem with the 2 anti viruses overlapping each other, I'm guessing the one to uninstall is avg?

All replies would be much appreciated and thank you in advance.

Edit: the picture I've just uploaded from my iPad is what my PC looks like trying to open task manager it's been like this for about 30 minutes.

$iLv3rfang

post-11184-0-78296700-1422826521_thumb.jpg

Edited by SiLv3rfang

Question number 1) would having avast and avg on my computer at the same time mess up the cpu usage and cause my computer to run slow? (If so my dad is stupid not to uninstall avg first...)

2) would it affect my in-game gameplay?

3) if avg and avast is the problem with the 2 anti viruses overlapping each other, I'm guessing the one to uninstall is avg?

All replies would be much appreciated and thank you in advance.

Edit: the picture I've just uploaded from my iPad is what my PC looks like trying to open task manager it's been like this for about 30 minutes.

$iLv3rfang

Answer 1: Yes. You should only run one (and no more than one) realtime scanner. Not only will lots of resources be eaten up, but the scanners can conflict and bring up bad results

Answer 2: Of course. You want as minimal of a system footprint as possible, to leave memory and CPU cycles for gaming, right? ;)

Answer 3: Uninstall them both, put on Bitdefender instead.

Cheers! :)

PS: Based on the picture, I'd uninstall the Antivirus in Safe Mode... might be faster.

• Like 2

Thank you for the reply.

I will do that tomorrow as I have personally had enough of it tonight :)

And yes I want all the CPU usage to be put into gaming and the music that I play with.

Anyways thank you for the reply much appreciated.

$iLv3rfang

Microsoft security essentials/ windows defender is free and more than enough imo.

I agree.

Never forget the security of your PC relies on you first.

Gengis

Just dont visit bad sites, dont click bad links and dont install untrusted .exe :P

Tbh, I don't use any antivirus a long time and use to backup my important files in an external HD and do a fresh reinstall every 6 month.

Maybe if you recover your computer with an old system config(choose one before you instaled avast)should help.

Edit: I remember now a friend that did same as you and avast catch some avg file as malware(Maybe a software conflict).

Use Comodo Antyvirus. Better than those avasts and avgs. Before that use adwcleaner.

Regards,

Unk

Edited by Unknown*