Call Of Duty 4 Master Server - Development and discussion.

Heretic121

Contact Maydax@PBBans in PM. He will be able to help more. Also once the master list is ready don't make code public. Keep it private. Because you will end up doing all hardwork and someone will leach it out and start different versions of master list. 

That would cause fragmentation mess in COD4 community

Thank you for the suggestions, DD. I've sent Maydax a PM, and I think I'll remove the MS code from GitHub. You're correct about the fact that it would cause fragmentation. There's also the security implications, as you would need to hardcode "cod4master.activision.com" to the IP of the MS you want to use. This means that you would end up sending your CD Key and PB GUID to the server whenever you're on a server. I don't profess to be squeaky clean (Outside of gaming), but I won't hurt the community I'm trying to help :)

Right, a small update. The code is up to the stage where the amount of servers being given to the client is correct (In my case, just the 1), it's just not encoded properly. I'm trying a few different methods, of encoding, at the moment :)

• Like 1

Well, I made a change to the encoding after the above reply and have spent all my time since then trying to get it back to the state I described above...

I'm going to bed. I'm figuratively tearing my hair out trying to wrap my head around why this isn't working, even though it was not 9 hours ago :rolleyes:

Oh DD, could you just let Maydax know that you've told me to go talk to him? I get the feeling he either gets a tonne of PMs and mine got swamped, or he's just ignoring it because he doesn't know me lol

• 3 weeks later...

Just leaving a note here for myself, that I can come back to at a later date. Development is going slow because I'm working a full time job at the moment.

[23:45] =F|A=Heretic121: I think I know why...

[23:46] =F|A=Heretic121: The client keeps spamming the Auth Server with getAuthorize packets

because the GS authed with the MS first? So now it requires authorization from the AS for the GC to connect?

[23:46] =F|A=Heretic121: trying to get itself authed, so that it can connect properly
[23:47] =F|A=Heretic121: but when the GS doesn't get a response from the MS regarding it's heartbeat then the client just forgets about it's authorization and just carries on working as normal

.. or at least that's the way it works for me when I have my MS setup and both the GS and GC use it...

EDIT: because of the lack of an AS the GC was spamming the GS with getChallenges that the GS couldn't respond to because the AS hadn't responded to the GS earlier packet (getIPAuthorize) to the AS. Thus meaning the entire f***ing thing is basically not working because the Auth Server is down, but the MS is "sorta working"? ... I smell a conspiracy here.

Thanks to Soul for asking me the question that made me reconsider my perspective on the problem.

Edited by Heretic121
Credit, where credit due.

I've got a favour to ask of the COD4 community in general, not just FA.

I sorely need some packet captures of a server coming online and of client's connecting to a server. Specifically about how the packets that the server/client send/receive to the authentication server. Now, just to warn everyone that those packets DO contain sensitive information such as your PB GUID and your CD Key. So if you don't know what you're doing then don't do it. Also the packets need to be old enough to have been recorded before the authentication server went down.

I need these packets so that I can reconstruct the protocol accurately, otherwise I'm just flying blind with little information to go on.

If anyone has also got a packet capture of when they've requested a full server list (i.e. clicked on "Refresh List", not "Quick Refresh") that would also be immensely helpful.

If you can't help, then try your best to spread the word of what I need far and wide across the community.

Thanks one and all for any help you can give me :)

Gun, unfortunately what I'm asking people is for packets they've already captured. The reason is that since the authentication server is down, then the actual packet flow is not complete because it would be missing the packets from the auth server. See my problem? :( If it wasn't for that small, minor, detail I would have knocked out a Master + Auth server in a night. I'm just faced with a lack of working information on the packet flow... I'm currently following an anonymous suggestion to have a read through the RTCW source code, as it's "surprisingly similar". What I'm trying to do with the source code is come up with an image of what the packet flow looks like... just from reading it.

As you can imagine, this is probably going to take me a while lol :)

You can't use old winMTR reports filed by abner regulars in the past?

Unfortunately not. MTR only counts number of pings, and a few other stats. Packet capture is basically ... hmm... Well.. you know when you send information on the internet? Say... to watch a video on Youtube? Well you would send 1 (or more) packets of information to the server that Youtube runs on (Overly simplifying things here). Well, a packet capture, in this example, is basically a recording of all the information you send to the server and any information you get back from the server.

Like I said, that's an overly simple explanation but it's just to give you some idea of why they're different. MTR deals with "how many", Packet Capture deals with "what/where/when/who/etc".

TL;DR - No

Right, I was reading through the forums for COD4 on Steam. It would appear Acti has fixed the Master Server. Auth server is still down though. I'll continue with this project, but the main push for me to get it done has gone so it'll be moving onto the backburner. It does mean that I'll be able to get enough information from packet captures to accurately replicate the Master Server side of things, but the auth server stuff will take a while :)

• Like 3