bf3 tips: LMG's

gibson66

If you're like me, than the first time you played bf3, you saw the support class and figured the biggest guns with the most ammo are the most badass, and ergo the best class.

Then you get your ass handed to you and realize that things aren't as they seem.

Really figuring out how to make LMG's work is a tough challenge with a steep learning curve. They have the most spread, and at first glance, are miserably inept for aggressive styles of playing. 

So here's my tell-all guide to figuring out how to make LMG's work.

First off, stop using LMG's. At least if you're new to the game. One of the key requirements for LMG's is situational awareness and understanding where the enemy is. You need to know where people are going to come from, and if you're still learning the maps, that could be anywhere. Because LMG's are difficult to use at unexpected midrange combat or, god help you, close quarter combat, you need to know the nooks and cranny's of every map.

Once you know the map, using an LMG requires a very different style of playing compared to assault rifles or pdw's. You need to be ADS when you go around a corner. Frankly, you need to be ADS all the damn time.

Another trick to lmg's is starting on an easy one. I recommend the type 88 lmg or the qbb95. They have low rates of fire and are the easiest to control, especially compared to beasts like the m249 or the m240b. The simple truth is that those guns require skill to run and gun, and most players who are sub-colonel lack the skill to use them and get a +1 KDR.

If you're starting on LMG's, stick to the bipod and long quarters/hallways. The bipod is the saving grace of the LMG's and it turns a mediocre firearm into a ferocious, bullet-spraying, killing machine. Also, don't feel bad if you spend way too long trying to get the bipod to deploy. I've mastered many a LMG's and still can't get the bipod deployed worth a damn.

Once you've picked an lmg, you need to drill this into your head: NO FREAKING FULL AUTO. BURST FIRE, BURST, BURST FIRE. Hell, get it tattooed on your arm.  If you're brave enough to run without a bipod, you need to understand that your LMG does not care about accuracy, and it certainly doesn't care if you hit the enemy. She's a fickle mistress. You've got to fire in tiny little bursts before the gun goes bats hit insane and starts shooting things 90 degrees away from where your aiming. Ideally, stick to two round bursts.

Another thing worth noting: no two LMG's are the same. The mg36 is nothing like the m60e4 (my baby. Love the shit outta that thing), the l86a2 is nothing like the m240b, etc. You need to spend A LOT of time with each LMG to really understand it. Never expect to pick up an LMG and have a good time.

Now let's talk about reloading. The advantage of the LMG is a butt-ton of bullets. The downside is the reload. During a reload, you can get up, take a shit, microwave a burrito, eat the burrito,  digest the burrito, shit out the burrito, and sit down again. Now that's a lot of time you're sitting around doing nothing. So prepare accordingly. 

You need to be retreating well before you need to reload. When you're down to the last 10-20 rounds, start heading back and find a quiet corner to start the reload.

I'd imagine if you're still reading this review, you think LMG's must suck. That isn't even remotely true. They're hard to master, sure, but once you've got it down, you can crush your enemies. The trick is patience. And honestly, with all kinds of PDW's and shotguns sitting around, they can look pretty enticing compared to the soul-crushing burden that is learning how to use the LMG. But man, is your patience rewarded when you chew threw 2 squads without even reloading. So keep at it, and don't give up just because you got your ass handed to you in the first round.

• Like 1