Mobo question?

Monoxide

I'm looking to slowly up grade my computer as money allows and I have a few questions. Can i run my Athlon 64 x2 am2 socket in an am3 or am3+ mobo till I can get some money together for a new fx series processor? Also I would need to run my ddr2 till I upgrade to the newer processor correct? I've done a bit of internet searching and I can't find a definitive answer.

No you cannot put an AM2 processor in a AM3+ slot. AM2 and AM3 processors are often inter-compatible though if the TDP is within the limits.

I'd suggest getting something like a Athlon II x4 620. It's cheap, quad-core, and overclocks well. It's aging now, but it holds it's position as a performance processor and you can probably get one for a mere 50 bucks now.

• Like 1

Yea I figured that was the case. Maybe that's what I'll do is just get a new AM3 board and just get a decent Athlon like you suggest for now. I figure that way ill have room to upgrade later.