Left 4 Dead Advice for Left4Dead noobs?

Summ3rLady

Hey all,

Just downloaded L4D2 last night and am mega excited!!!

Wanted to see if anyone has some advice on what character class and weapon combos they find the most effective?

Or what is a good combination to start with if you are completely new to the game?

Please feel free to share any other general advice or observations :)

There are no classes, no differences between characters, and all weapons are balanced for the most part. The only thing remotely class like is in VS mode, when you play the special infected. Each special infected has their own perks and drawbacks, so just experiment.

Two biggest things for doing campaign survival:

1: Don't piss off the witch. If you're going to try and take her on, a well placed shotgun to the head can kill her in one go.

2: When the tank arrives, run like hell.

3: In later difficulties, learn positioning. You can kill teammates easily if you're not careful.

As for weapons... just give it hell. You'll find favorites. Most are pretty balanced so there's not much noticeable difference, other than weapon type. (i.e assault rifle,pistol,shotgun,sniper etc). Only thing I would say is don't use pistols or snipers against witches/tanks unless you don't have anything else around. Usually for those special infected you want a good high damage or rate of fire weapon. Everything else will drop like flies no matter what.

Edited by SiD
  • Like 4

Aww a nooblet :3 That chart is good to follow for dealing with heavy hitting monsters. 

Snipers are powerful if you have range on the tank. But if he is after you, run around like a chicken with its head cut off. The slow firing isn't as helpful then. 

I will also leave this here for you ^.^  

http://fearless-assassins.com/tutorials/article/370-left-4-dead-2-modding/

This is a tutorial on how to make left 4 dead even more fun with custom maps and skins!

What left 4 dead did you get? If you only bought #1 I would suggest getting Left 4 dead 2 instead. It is basically both games in one. ^^

Thanks for the tips and cool color damage chart!!   WOW Lady*Raevyn* your mods post is really cool. I am going to check this out when I get off work today.

I got L4D2.  Played two campaigns last night....the guys I was with knew I'd never played, so they had me run in all willy nilly to fight the first witch we came across. *Hilarious*

I think I'm gonna have a lot of fun with this game. Glad to see FA getting a server.

Thanks for the tips and cool color damage chart!!   WOW Lady*Raevyn* your mods post is really cool. I am going to check this out when I get off work today.

I got L4D2.  Played two campaigns last night....the guys I was with knew I'd never played, so they had me run in all willy nilly to fight the first witch we came across. *Hilarious*

I think I'm gonna have a lot of fun with this game. Glad to see FA getting a server.

Get us some recruits!! 

• Like 1

• Leader

I played through the Left4Dead Single-Player maps on "normal" and then on "advanced" before I played online and the same for L4d2.  D1 now comes with D2 now, so your money is more efficient now. :)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hehe, I cannot wait till we play with the server and play with your minds. You may think you know the game, but in reality you don't!

But honestly, everyone has good points. 

Some others: 

1. The charger goes down faster with melee. Always good to have a melee weapon in your crew.

2. Hit the Jockey off first. If not you are likely to cause more damage to your teammate then saving them. 

3. If you really want to slow down a tank, throw a bile jar at it. This will attract reg zombies to him and make him move slower. You can follow this up with a well place mollie.

4. IMO, shotties work best on a tank.

5. If you are in a dark place or have limited sight (like an alley) stay in your group. If you separate you are dead. Especially in the sewers and the rain. Also these areas are best to use a pip bomb. Attract all the zombies away from you.

6. Gas cans are nice, but limited. Place them strategically and set them off when large crowds come. You will get better at figuring these points out. Tanks are useless in my opinion. Also if you are heading to the safe room and there are cans or tanks, take them. Then you will have them to start off the next round.

7. If you can shoot zombies from the safety of the safe room (before opening the doors) do so. However don't wait to leave either. If you do, they will just respawn and you will have wasted time. 

That's it for now. :)

• Like 2