Frontier (Verizon) FIOS problem solved

Ol Smoke

Problem: losing internet and phone service all the time

Observed:  Battery backup battery is dead or dying

System:  It keeps saying to replace the battery.

Steps taken:  Replaced the battery

Outcome: still doesn't work

The battery in the UPS system they use is a lead-acid sealed motorcycle battery. 12Volt

So I put it on the battery charger I have and let it charge until done at 6 amp charge rate.

Put it back into the system and the system runs fine.  I get phones and internet again.

After 5 hours, system shuts down and says replace battery.  Recharged it again and re-installed

and again the system runs fine.

Conclusion: Battery charger for system is not working.

Called Frontier and told them the story last Wednesday.  They made a trouble ticket and said a tech would be out on Friday morn between 8-12 noon.

He didn't show up.  Instead he went to the house across the street and replaced their UPS charger system.  So I went to neighbor to check it out.

He didn't call them, nor did he have any problems with his FIOS system.  So I called Frontier to see what the problem was.  They said the problem

had been taken care of and the system had been replaced with a new charger/battery UPS.  I then told them that they did that job at the wrong house.

They checked their paperwork and it listed my house number  710.  I told them that the tech did the work at house number 699.

They checked with the tech and he realized that the map had the check point at the wrong house.  But that it listed it on the map as 710. 

So now I have to wait till tomorrow to have the unit replaced.

In the meantime,  my account has been charged $99 for the battery.  Which they finally removed today.  I bought the same battery for $39 and installed

the wires for the connection from the old battery.

So I am still charging the battery with my charger and then doing the phone/internet, then recharge it again.  It is a nuisance but it will get us by till they

get here and fix it.

So I get a call from the Frontier office about the problem and I tell them about their screw up and how angry I am about it.  They apologize and tell me it

will be a free call and that I will get $10 off my next bill for the problems I had with them.  Wow  $10 !!!

The problem is that I cant b*** about all of this because my oldest son....is the head honcho of this area for Frontier.

Now here is the problem with this all in one FIOS system.  Phone-internet-TV.  If that battery system goes out....it all goes out.  And if you don't have a cell

phone,  you cannot contact them to tell them it is down.  So you have to go to your neighbors or relatives to call and put in a trouble ticket.

Technology !!  Gotta love it.   I remember when, if the power went out,  the phones still worked.  Not today.  Unless you have your wireless phone system

on a separate UPS backup.

Might want to think about that before an earthquake hits and all the cell towers are down.

I am going back to smoke signals.

I've got Verizon FiOS and while I get where you're coming from I gotta tell ya, I'll take the trade off ... FiOS is f***ing the BOMB ! Super fast 50/50 + Mbps internet speeds at a reasonable price compared to others, Great crystal clear HD TV that never is down or effected by a cloudy day, and the Phone is just packaged in to lower the over "Bundle" price. I priced out what I have WITH OUT the phone added and it's MORE money if I remove the FiOS Home phone service for some stupid reason, so whatever I get it and still have my $30 per month pre-paid T-Mobile Cellular ... and couldn't be happier with everything at this time.

BTW those replacement batteries ...  http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006LO9XHA/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_7?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3UNYF78MGMXY1 = $20 + FREE Shipping  :cheers and YES it's the SAME one and works, I've had to replace mine.

Edited by LA_Kings_Fan
  • Like 1

Super fast 50/50 + Mbps internet speeds at a reasonable price compared to others, Great crystal clear HD TV that never is down or effected by a cloudy day

On behalf of most of the EU I would just like to say: "That's cute"

• Like 1

Heretic I know many European players here on FA that complain about how piss poor their Internet quality is when living in the more RURAL areas of their countries, so not sure where YOU are or what YOUR speeds would be  ...  but when you consider that the majority of Western Europe would fit in the back pocket of the United States, and you realize just how spread out and Rural the majority of the United States is then it is not so cute.  I know in Major Metropolitan Cities you'd have super fast internet and often government supported and funded ... this is an area where capitalism fails our society and our infrastructures in the United States have become a deteriorated atrocity thanks to partisan politics of today, but in several Metropolitan areas with major colleges and or military bases in the city the internet speeds here in the US can be just as fast, it's just that the Majority of individuals can't get that delivered to their home, or it's effectively cost prohibitive.

http://www.netindex.com/

http://www.netindex.com/download/allcountries/ 

http://explorer.netindex.com/maps

Edited by LA_Kings_Fan

Got new battery system today and a brand new router/wifi unit.  The router cut 33ms off my ping to the COD4 server.  It was 143ms not its 110.

The image and everything is so much nicer.  Plus the game immediately loads without the setup screen.

I am happy.

The old Westell, I could only get wifi in the room it actually was in.

yep ... I had that one before too ...  vz9100em_fullethern_437a.jpg

... actually have 2 of them ... I'm trying to figure out how to use them as FiOS MOCA Brdiges to add ethernet plugs at my other set top box locations and for better WiFi coverage.

FiOS is great and can use the Coaxial cable to network your older wired house without the need to run new cat 5 ethernet cable everywhere, but I'm having a hard time finding a good service rep that can help me accomplish this, or website that explains it in non-tech-anese   :wacko:

Edited by LA_Kings_Fan

After using the new router yesterday here are all the things I found new about it.

1.  My ping is 30ms faster. My throughput is actually now  25/25.  The old router was 18/6.

2.  My COD4 game play is way better.  The weapons problems I was having are all gone.

Now when I click the trigger the gun actually kills something.  I was actually having to shoot guys multiple times to get a hit marker.

Many times I wouldn't get a hit at all. Especially with a silenced weapon.  It was like I was shooting blanks.

3.  The game starts right up now.  No longer does it pause and give me the system has changed window.  The whole game loads faster now.

4.  I no longer have a problem with the F|A website.  My posts get posted correctly now instead of timing out and I have to redo the post again.

5.  My Netflix movies are better now.  I could only get 1280x720 at 3MBs.  Now I get 1280x1024 at 6MBs.  The picture is absolutely gorgeous.

And the sound is much better.

6.  I now have WIFI in the whole house.  Before, on the old router, I could not get WIFI anywhere except in the room where the router was sitting.

7.  The router runs on different protocol now and I can actually have another hub run off of it.  So now I can put a hub at the TV to get internet

connection to both the Directv box and the Blu-ray player.  Before, I had to switch the cable back and forth.  The old Westell router would not do that.

8.  The battery back up now actually works as it should.  Before,  the battery had to be in the series to make it work.  Now the battery can be removed and

the system runs off the power converter/charger.

9.  One of the things that I noticed right away was that every screen on the internet looks better.  The image is sharper and much more clear.  I thought my

eyes were having trouble, because of the blurriness of the letters and stuff.

It's like Christmas came and I got all new toys !

9.  One of the things that I noticed right away was that every screen on the internet looks better.  The image is sharper and much more clear.  I thought my

eyes were having trouble, because of the blurriness of the letters and stuff.

Unless I'm missing something, or misunderstood you, there is no way that's possible. The state of your internet connection doesn't effect what your text looks like on the screen o.O

Unless I'm missing something, or misunderstood you, there is no way that's possible. The state of your internet connection doesn't effect what your text looks like on the screen o.O

I know.  I know.  But it is true.  It must have been noise affecting the video.  But it is true.