FPS / New Laptop

#ApeGoD

Hey guys,

As some of you might know i was thinking about buying a laptop.
I bought my new laptop this saturday, unfortunately i've noticed that the FPS in ET and one other quite old game is relatively low
In ET it's no more than 60 its like stuck between 59/60 even though I havent capped it on 60, i've set the max to 90 still the same.
In my other game the FPS is quite jumping from 26 - 50 but the thing is that my old PC with shit processor and GeForce 9200 could run it better..
Can someone tell me what's the problem?

Specs:
Processor : i7 - 4702MQ @2.20Ghz
Ram : 8GB
GPU : GeForce 740m
Laptop : Lenovo z510

I like to force it off for all games. This should get you close. It should be on the main screen on manage 3d settings. I would also set your video card's power management to max performance from adaptive if you are wanting to squeeze every FPS you can. You battery life will most likely decrease.

First thing you can try is to force it Off in the Nvidia Control Panel. No idea if this will override the ingame setting but its worth a try

*Right click Desktop
*Select/Open "Nvidia Control Panel"
*Select "Manage 3D Settings" top left
*Go to "Program Settings" Tab 
*Find ET on the drop down games list, scroll down and set Vsync to "Off. 
*Apply and you're done.

If Sleeping Dogs is not on the list then you can just hit "Add" and add the games executable.

If that doesn't work, another thing you can try is editing the games config file. I believe its in the Data folder inside the games root directory, its called "DisplaySettings.xml"

Open "DisplaySettings.xml" with notepad or better, notepad++ then simply find this line "VSync>1</VSync>" and change it to 0 to turn Off Vsync. When that's done simply save changes and close it.

If however Vsync turns itself back On when you enter the game, then do the above again, set Vsync to 0, but this time make DisplaySettings.xml a "Read-Only" file so that nothing can change the changes you just made. To do that just Right Click the file - Properties - Check "Set to Read-Only" box then apply.

Good luck.

You can also try downloading the latest drivers from nvidea.com and setting your graphics settings from quality to performance under image quality... You should be getting better FPS in ET.

http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx

You could also try installing direct x 9.0c if it hasn't been installed. 

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=34429

• Like 1

I play with 750m on high settings and easy stable 125fps. 200 is no problem either. the difference with 740m should not be this big.

However when on battery mode my laptop uses the onboard card and i get around 30-50 fps.

Right click ET -> Change processor -> more powerful nvidia card.

• 4 weeks later...