Just a heads up: Playing on new profile

Jobba

My windows 8 os crapped on me, and i had no recovery disks. No way im going to buy it back just to get an iso. Anyway I just run ubuntu on it now and it's a pain to get Enemy Territory running on Linux. So i turned to my old windows 7 desktop that im playing with. I lost all my XP so im down 120k so i don't know if that makes me inelligable for a !setlevel for levels back. I also submitted a new guid. Although trackbase still recognizes me :huh: even on another computer .

Et on Ubuntu is actually pretty simple and from my experience with it runs amazingly. It was a big enough difference that I refused to load up windows to play on slac and quit playing etpro all together :P

• Like 1

Well as long as you have your product key aka "certificate of authenticity" or the sticker on the side/bottom of your computer, you technically own a copy of Win8, and you can download the 90 day trial ISO from Microsoft and use that code for activation to the full version. Otherwise, call the manufacturer of your computer, and b*tch at them. :P

If you are "anti-Microsoft" and truly want to go open-source, I would suggest any other distro (Linux Mint is good) than Ubuntu- the folks that have created the open source movement, the FSF and pretty pissed about Ubuntu working for corporations and profit, not for people: https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/community/blogs/6e6f6d1b-95c3-46df-8a26-b7efd8ee4b57/entry/gnu_project_creator_calls_ubuntu_a_spyware_ubuntu_creators_call_it_a_fud65?lang=en
Not to mention the creator of Linux himself uses Fedora, though that is a more advanced distro. ;)

Trackbase recognizes you, because it tracks your name and depending on your settings, color codes.

• Like 1

Et on Ubuntu is actually pretty simple and from my experience with it runs amazingly. It was a big enough difference that I refused to load up windows to play on slac and quit playing etpro all together :P

Trust me Haru, I've tried EVERYTHING. I've dedicated a day to try to get it running and all my google links are purple. It just wouldn't work out :(

Well as long as you have your product key aka "certificate of authenticity" or the sticker on the side/bottom of your computer, you technically own a copy of Win8, and you can download the 90 day trial ISO from Microsoft and use that code for activation to the full version. Otherwise, call the manufacturer of your computer, and b*tch at them. :P

If you are "anti-Microsoft" and truly want to go open-source, I would suggest any other distro (Linux Mint is good) than Ubuntu- the folks that have created the open source movement, the FSF and pretty pissed about Ubuntu working for corporations and profit, not for people: https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/community/blogs/6e6f6d1b-95c3-46df-8a26-b7efd8ee4b57/entry/gnu_project_creator_calls_ubuntu_a_spyware_ubuntu_creators_call_it_a_fud65?lang=en

Not to mention the creator of Linux himself uses Fedora, though that is a more advanced distro. ;)

Trackbase recognizes you, because it tracks your name and depending on your settings, color codes.

Wow I'll actually try that 90-day think and see if it will work. My Product Key is embedded into the Bios of my Asus computer. So if entered manually im not sure if it will work. Im going to try though. Danke

I just took a look at ASUS' website, if you did not replace your hard drive, there should be a recovery partition you can use. Regardless, the installation should automatically detect the product key in the BIOS (aka SLIC) and go on with the installation. If not, there *is* a way of extracting the product key from your BIOS, but you would initially have to install using the 90d trial product key from Microsoft Technet.

I just took a look at ASUS' website, if you did not replace your hard drive, there should be a recovery partition you can use. Regardless, the installation should automatically detect the product key in the BIOS (aka SLIC) and go on with the installation. If not, there *is* a way of extracting the product key from your BIOS, but you would initially have to install using the 90d trial product key from Microsoft Technet.

Hmmm I know the Prodcut key already as i've double checked using two different commands on linux to bring it up so I know its the true Product Key. Well right now im downloading the Windows 8 Enterprise Trial edition and ill try to use my product key on there and I'll see if it will work. :)

"If you are running Windows 8 Enterprise you must have active Software Assurance for the Windows desktop operating system to have rights to Windows 8.1 Enterprise licenses. Volume Licensing customers can download Windows 8.1 Pro and Windows 8.1 Enterprise through the Volume Licensing Service Center and new customers can purchase these products through Microsoft Volume License Resellers beginning November 1."

Meaning that your product key can't be for Enterprise- if it's embedded, it's either "Windows 8" Or "Windows 8 Pro" - product keys are not transferable across versions.

So I would need a windows 8/pro ISO since that's what my asus came pre-installed with

Edited by F3@R