The Battle...

soulJAHmon

I'm currently struggling with an issue, and I thought I'd ask my cohorts in "gaming" to see if anyone has any good real world suggestions to make this issue better. Now, I realize that if you devote too much time to staring at a screen you will alienate your loved ones, but I also believe everyone deserves to have some "down-time" to play with their friends in any way they choose, so:

1)     How much time do you spend daily (average in hours) either messing around on the PC, laptop, kindle, or mobile phone?

2)     How many of us have a wife, girlfriend, partner, or family who either don't understand, dislike, or outright hate your gaming habit?

and,

3)     Who has successfully minimized, or alleviated this issue and what did you do to make that happen?

For me,

1) I, (until recently) spent about 5 hrs a day

2) It has become a serious issue with my wife, who feels ignored, and even jealous of my fun time.

3) I have no answers........ :help

Edited by soulJAHmon
Added my answers
  • Like 2

I hear you brother. Yes i am on the cpu from 4am until 4pm and then get back on around 8-10pm to finalize things and get ready to do it all over again. Now i am not in game all day but i do get in and out to check on things and i also check the forums. I now have 4 monitors up so i can watch everything i can. Now I have 9 kids and 1 on the way. My wife knows how important it is for me to support the family since she is a stay at home mommy. However on the weekends I spend maybe 30-60 per day and try to stay 100% away on sunday. Since I work from home I try and help out throughout the day however I can.

Now I would suggest sitting down with your lovely wife and asking her what she would be comfortable with you playing and doing whatever you can to accommodate it.

• Like 1

Oh and 1 more thing. When it comes to our loved one we need to make sure that we are making deposits. Deposits means doing things for them with out asking and out of the blue. More deposits the better things will get my friend. Just my 2 cents 

• Like 1

1)Used to be 16 now its roughly 10 hours (though right now its almost 0 lol)

2) I got a wife and 2 kids. Wife just accepted she married a gamer after the first few months, though it still pisses her off some times...Cant tell you how many times shes cut my computer wires just to get me off this thing lol. My kids on the other hand like to go "pewpew".

3) I bring her flowers every day from the flower shop down the street, I get off whenever she tells me to and do whatever she asks me to do. We also plan nights just for us. You can ask jo and KG lol. I leave em hangin on date nights cause its 100% about her and what she wants to do or family nights when its 100% about family (which usually involves spaghetti, movie and pillow tents now a days). Downtime with friends is fine, just don't forget about your family in the process.

If that doesnt work try introducing her to gaming. What I did with my wife...now shes a mindcraft-a-holic....(traitor)

Edited by speedfact
  • Like 2

my time is really variable lately for various reasons, My wife mostly despises my gaming unless it is on the Xbox( she like to watch me game, so I guess I just need a cable to hook laptop to tv...hmmm :idea: ) as for rectifying the issue, I play at work and at night when her and the girls are asleep. That has cleared up most problems, that said she gets super pissed when I wander off and check the forums during the day then end up " hopping on" to quick check something, quick in my net time equals about an hour  :blush: I tried getting her into online gaming, ET was downloaded but she doesn't have the will to figure out all the steps to get it going, she is more of a console peasant.... :D So basically my solution was to do what all addicts do.....hide my addiction from the family , Good luck bud

Im Single and no kids, but i wish you and your family all the best and i know that you will find some solution that everyone can be happy :) Its like we Finnish people say kultainen keskitie (golden mean). Good luck my friend :)

• Administrators

1. Most of my time is spent on the computer, it goes with the job.

2. My wife tolerates my gaming, she knows that I game, but I would never game and ignore her. She is #1. I need her for sexy time.

3. I tried getting her into gaming with me, but it was hopeless.

• Like 2

1)     How much time do you spend daily (average in hours) either messing around on the PC, laptop, kindle, or mobile phone?

For gaming, it's usually no more than 5 or so hours. It's usually around 3-4 ish. 

2)     How many of us have a wife, girlfriend, partner, or family who either don't understand, dislike, or outright hate your gaming habit?

Since I still live at home, my issue isn't the same, but my dad (love the man to death) really doesn't care for my gaming. 

3)     Who has successfully minimized, or alleviated this issue and what did you do to make that happen?

Again, this may not help, but this is what I do: I try to be helpful around the house (sort of earn that few hours of gaming). I am social with my parents, I try not to be glued to a screen all day without talking to them. Lastly, when all else fails, I try to get off of the pc when he gets home from work to make it seem like I barely played :P 

Ending note: we may be F|Amily but we can never replace family. Do what you must to keep them happy, we'll be here! Good luck :)

Thanks for the feedback guys, it helps me to know what other folks consider appropriate, and to learn about ways to cope with this challenge. Things are pretty stark for me ATM, and I'm grasping for straws.    :(

we've all been there mate. Just take time off and go win her back. (suggest maybe doing sumthin shes always wanted to do or recreating your first date, shit like that. woman like it...for some reason) We'll be round when ya get back lol.

• Like 2

(suggest maybe doing sumthin shes always wanted to do or recreating your first date, shit like that. woman like it...for some reason) .

Even if we're not gushy ourselves, we like that kind of gushy shit.