Anyone use Google DNS?

Thinking about using google dns to help my browsing a bit. I noticed here lately with my at&t uverse internet that my speeds will be fine but I have had problems loading facebook stuff and videos.

I ran namebench  https://code.google.com/p/namebench/  and it said google dns is 49.5% faster and Open Dns would be 21.5% faster.

I guess my only worry is that the google dns collects information... which from their statement they don't keep personal records long term.

Anyways just looking to see if anyone uses it or recommends it or another dns. thanks!

Also I was wondering if these results have anything to do with maybe why some things on facebook don't load very well?

|------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
|                                      WinMTR statistics                                   |
|                       Host              -   %  | Sent | Recv | Best | Avrg | Wrst | Last |
|------------------------------------------------|------|------|------|------|------|------|
|                       dsldevice.att.net -    0 |  131 |  131 |    0 |    0 |    1 |    0 |
|                   No response from host -  100 |   27 |    0 |    0 |    0 |    0 |    0 |
|                            99.133.13.24 -   57 |   41 |   18 |    0 |   29 |   31 |   30 |
|                            99.133.13.14 -   90 |   29 |    3 |    0 |   29 |   31 |   28 |
|                   No response from host -  100 |   27 |    0 |    0 |    0 |    0 |    0 |
|                           12.83.101.137 -    0 |  131 |  131 |   27 |   30 |   80 |   28 |
|                   gar3.rcmva.ip.att.net -    0 |  131 |  131 |   50 |   68 |  208 |   58 |
|                 be2.bb02.iad3.tfbnw.net -    1 |  127 |  126 |    0 |   69 |   75 |   69 |
|                be14.bb01.frc3.tfbnw.net -    2 |  123 |  121 |   53 |   62 |   70 |   65 |
|                ae87.dr01.frc1.tfbnw.net -    0 |  131 |  131 |   62 |   70 |  121 |   71 |
|      edge-star-shv-13-frc1.facebook.com -    0 |  131 |  131 |   61 |   69 |  122 |   69 |
|________________________________________________|______|______|______|______|______|______|
   WinMTR v0.92 GPL V2 by Appnor MSP - Fully Managed Hosting & Cloud Provider
Edited by Corey
  • Like 2

interesting, did not know about google dns. i just tried namebench after not using it for a couple of years...it says opendns is 4.6% faster but that is it. googledns is -6.5% slower for me.

ive had bad slowdowns with opendns in the past so i'm keeping things status quo at the moment (verizon fios)

interesting, did not know about google dns. i just tried namebench after not using it for a couple of years...it says opendns is 4.6% faster but that is it. googledns is -6.5% slower for me.

ive had bad slowdowns with opendns in the past so i'm keeping things status quo at the moment (verizon fios)

Ya I don't see a point in you switching for just a 4% increase.

Ya I don't see a point in you switching for just a 4% increase.

Depends maybe your location too. You can also set many DNS to use. I always set Google DNS as having priority and then those of my ISP as secondary to use. Doable via Windows or your modem\router. Even for 4%, I'm taker.

If you're looking for the best DNS for you, use this prog: DNS Benchmark .

Edited by Ann!b@l
  • Like 2

Google DNS never got good benchmarks for me. But this reminded me to re-enable OpenDNS... I forgot to do that when I had my modem replaced. :P

Depends maybe your location too. You can also set many DNS to use. I always set Google DNS as having priority and then those of my ISP as secondary to use. Doable via Windows or your modem\router. Even for 4%, I'm taker.

If you're looking for the best DNS for you, use this prog: DNS Benchmark .

I ran the benchmark and here are the results

lT9Jje9.png

rNleRfV.png

should i run the test at different times of the day to see what differs? Google DNS was the fastest on the other namebench I used but this one says ultra dns is faster. Also opendns is below my dns on this test, but not the other one. Is there a reason why?

Edited by Corey

i like the GRC application better and think it is more accurate (and its results are consistent).

i personally use GRC suggestions.

you are not married to your DNS servers, i would recommend to try what GRC advises and see if it improves ur situation. you can always try the namebench results and switch and see if you notice any difference. of course placebo effects might be tough :)

should i run the test at different times of the day to see what differs? Google DNS was the fastest on the other namebench I used but this one says ultra dns is faster. Also opendns is below my dns on this test, but not the other one. Is there a reason why?

There's no point to use some stats at a moment you're never on net even if it shows better perfs. Run a benchmark at the time you mostly use internet. This will be enough and will be more usefull.

Use the 2 or 4 first IP addresses which should match at 1 or 2 different DNS (for 1 DNS=at least a primary IP+a secondary IP). Avoid all IPs\servers displayed in orange or red colors.

Edited by Ann!b@l

There's no point to use some stats at a moment you're never on net even if it shows better perfs. Run a benchmark at the time you mostly use internet. This will be enough and will be more usefull.

Use the 2 or 4 first IP addresses which should match at 1 or 2 different DNS (for 1 DNS=at least a primary IP+a secondary IP). Avoid all IPs\servers displayed in orange or red colors.

I read that I shouldn't use the level 3 dns servers. They apprently aren't supposed to be for public use?

• 2 weeks later...

I used to do "tech support" for U-verse, and I would frequently have customers change their DNS to Google's DNS if they were having browsing problems. It's amazing the problems you are able to help with when you go outside the bullshit script.