My webpage

parrot

While I am a CS major, our university has no classes on web design or development. This summer, I'm tasked, along with my immediate supervisor, with redoing our department website. We are using the Django framework. Prior to this (a month and a half ago) I had no knowledge of Python or any web dev related things, other than a small smattering of HTML.

After a month and a half working on the University site, I felt up to the challenge of making my own. I also used Django, and added Bootstrap for css.

www.jared-wallace.com

Any suggestions are more than welcome :) Always room for improvement.

Known bugs:

News Ticker is generating a shit ton of errors, I'm working on a replacement that's not from BlastCasta website.

Edited by parrot
  • Like 2

I'm probably going to make it responsive. I paid for a very nice template for an unrelated project, and will likely adopt some of those techniques on my personal site.

I'll have to research that ajax stuff ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Just wanted to let you know, that when you're on the "contact" page, the menu button for "calender" disappears.

• Like 1

Images that large as a background is bad design. When you have different resolutions of users it will mess it up. But if you absolutely wanted to use an image I would at least give it some kind of transparency as to not take away from your main focus (the information on the page). Your navbar and content are nice, even though I think the design you u sed itself is a bit overused. The one thing that is bugging the absolute crap out of me though is the padding for your content section. Add like a 15 - 25px padding to space it out from the edge.

I'm working on a design right now for my personal portfolio, the preview of it is live on the domain http://www.zacharysohovich.com but you can also see a full version here: http://zacharysohovich.deviantart.com/art/ZacharySohovich-com-Web-Design-451612702

Edited by ChaosEdition
  • Like 1

Good suggestions all, and I plan to implement them. Been too busy with work to do anything, and then I just find out the website me and my boss have been working on for the last 2 months (~22000 lines of code written) will most likely not be allowed; the university has some regulations concerning websites, it would seem.

Sure wish my boss had bothered to check this before we spent all that time on it :(

Images that large as a background is bad design. When you have different resolutions of users it will mess it up. But if you absolutely wanted to use an image I would at least give it some kind of transparency as to not take away from your main focus (the information on the page). Your navbar and content are nice, even though I think the design you u sed itself is a bit overused. The one thing that is bugging the absolute crap out of me though is the padding for your content section. Add like a 15 - 25px padding to space it out from the edge.

I'm working on a design right now for my personal portfolio, the preview of it is live on the domain http://www.zacharysohovich.com but you can also see a full version here: http://zacharysohovich.deviantart.com/art/ZacharySohovich-com-Web-Design-451612702

Looks very nice :D

• 3 weeks later...

Actually, surprisingly enough, we got approval. Still has to pass Marketing's critique and IT's security audit. Not to mention we still have a few things to implement before we can consider going live.

2 people is just not enough for a website of this size :/

My wife is a few credits away from a web design degree, and before she started she used to say to me when I'm working on a project, "Really? You're working on that same thing still? How long does it take to make a website?"

Not anymore.

• Like 1

• Leader

Love that story about your first exposure to programming:  as a 9-year-old in camp, whose friend started teaching him C++ with no compiler and beginning with pointers! :)  I guess your friend started with what he thought was the coolest thing!  I've seen many people make a similar mistake when they forget how it was for themselves when they began learning the subject.

• Like 1