GLW_StartOpenGL( ) - could not load OPENgl Subsystem

*Baleon*

• Leader

I think that everyone who replied thinks that it is a driver problem of some sort.  The newest drivers sometimes cause problems.  I installed the latest drivers and software for my graphics card and it became slower than my old 3ghz Pentium 4, even on the lowest resolution and graphics settings.  I could see in Task Manager that all of my core-threads were busy, instead of ET just using most of one.  

In the last part of my message, where it starts as:
"ADDED:
forum messages in http://www.urbanterr...in/page__st__10 with a very similar problem:
"Saftnase" says:  "Ok, it is solved now... just so it may help someone else: I removed"

The poster is saying that his copy of opengl32.dll was corrupt (or wrong) and that he replaced it.  "Mitsubishi" replies that opengl32.dll acts as a "go between" between the system and the actual openGL functions in the drivers for your graphics hardware.  He is also saying that you can put a known good copy of opengl32.dll into the Wolfenstein folder where et.exe is and test run ET.  This is easier than booting to Safe Mode and replacing the current opengl32.dll file that is in c:\windows\System32.

I found two "opengl32.dll" files on my Windows 7 Pro system.

One was in c:\windows\system32 and is 0.99 MB (1,039,872 bytes) and the
other was in C:\Windows\SysWOW64 and is 773 KB (791,552 bytes).

I made screen-caps of the properties of both files and have attached the images in the zip files below.  You can right-click on the files on your Win7 Ultimate system and compare their properties to mine from Win 7 Pro.

C-Windows-System32.zip
C-Windows-SysWOW64.zip

The console dump that the poster had on the page prior to my link shows his game acting very much like yours, with the game trying several settings before giving up:

Initializing OpenGL driver
...getting DC: succeeded
...GLW_ChoosePFD( 32, 24, 8 )
...35 PFDs found
...GLW_ChoosePFD failed
...GLW_ChoosePFD( 32, 24, 0 )
...35 PFDs found
...GLW_ChoosePFD failed
...failed to find an appropriate PIXELFORMAT

and so on...

I think that everyone who replied thinks that it is a driver problem of some sort.  The newest drivers sometimes cause problems.  I installed the latest drivers and software for my graphics card and it became slower than my old 3ghz Pentium 4, even on the lowest resolution and graphics settings.  I could see in Task Manager that all of my core-threads were busy, instead of ET just using most of one.  

In the last part of my message, where it starts as:

"ADDED:

forum messages in http://www.urbanterr...in/page__st__10 with a very similar problem:

"Saftnase" says:  "Ok, it is solved now... just so it may help someone else: I removed"

The poster is saying that his copy of opengl32.dll was corrupt (or wrong) and that he replaced it.  "Mitsubishi" replies that opengl32.dll acts as a "go between" between the system and the actual openGL functions in the drivers for your graphics hardware.  He is also saying that you can put a known good copy of opengl32.dll into the Wolfenstein folder where et.exe is and test run ET.  This is easier than booting to Safe Mode and replacing the current opengl32.dll file that is in c:\windows\System32.

I found two "opengl32.dll" files on my Windows 7 Pro system.

One was in c:\windows\system32 and is 0.99 MB (1,039,872 bytes) and the

other was in C:\Windows\SysWOW64 and is 773 KB (791,552 bytes).

I made screen-caps of the properties of both files and have attached the images in the zip files below.  You can right-click on the files on your Win7 Ultimate system and compare their properties to mine from Win 7 Pro.

attachicon.gifC-Windows-System32.zip

attachicon.gifC-Windows-SysWOW64.zip

The console dump that the poster had on the page prior to my link shows his game acting very much like yours, with the game trying several settings before giving up:

Initializing OpenGL driver
...getting DC: succeeded
...GLW_ChoosePFD( 32, 24, 8 )
...35 PFDs found
...GLW_ChoosePFD failed
...GLW_ChoosePFD( 32, 24, 0 )
...35 PFDs found
...GLW_ChoosePFD failed
...failed to find an appropriate PIXELFORMAT

and so on...

I have checked both screens and infos are completly the same as yours ,

OpenGL.dll from 'system32' have 0.99 MB and the other one have 773kb's

And btw i can't remove or replace opengl.dll files,check this ;

29xhx78.jpg

Edited by Alessandro

• Clan Friend

I tried,still nothing happens..;/

because most probably (I might be wrong here) Windows opengl dll is just a wrapper for your graphics card driver, and the problem (again most probably) lies there not in Windows part

can you run other opengl (not directx) stuff? I don't know, things like benchmarks or opengl demos? or it's just ET that fails?

Edited by SunLight
  • Like 2

because most probably (I might be wrong here) Windows opengl dll is just a wrapper for your graphics card driver, and the problem (again most probably) lies there not in Windows part

can you run other opengl (not directx) stuff? I don't know, things like benchmarks or opengl demos? or it's just ET that fails?

I really tried everything u said guys,i guess my graphic card doesnt support games like ET ... 

If u have anything else please post it!

Otherwise i will have to buy new card or even laptop.

Thanks a lot,

I tried and tried everything..updated those last driver from both links and yes,my notebook is Acer,i read it,dl it,still nothing :/

• Leader

When I said to try putting a copy of the opengl in the et.exe folder, I meant a known good one, not the one in your system32.

Why don't you upload copies of your system32\opengl wow64\opengl to a file-sharing site, labeling them sys32 and wow64.  You can email me the links.  I can download them and use an MD5 program to compare them to my known-good files.  Just in case.

===========================

Another quote from user with similar problem, on an Acer 5750Z.

Aha! I have found the correct driver to fix my problem, temporarily if nothing more! This driver, version 8.15.10.2342 works for the Acer Aspire 5750Z, if anyone else is having problems with theirs! Here is the link!   http://global-download.acer.com/GDFiles/Driver/VGA/VGA_Intel_8.15.10.2342_W7x86W7x64_A.zip?acerid=634761931954606771&Step1=NOTEBOOK&Step2=ASPIRE&Step3=ASPIRE%205750Z&OS=ALL&LC=en&BC=ACER&SC=PA_6   BTW, clicking that link downloads it immediately!

• Leader

The two files in those links have the same size, 773 kb, which is the same size as my sysWOW64 opengl32.dll.  My sys32 file is over 1,000 kb.

Either you sent me two copies of your sysWOW64 opengl32 file, or you have the wrong version in your sys32 folder.

I suggest that you check the size of the opengl32.dll in your sys32 folder and send me another copy.

The MD5 hashes for both of our sysWOW64 files are the same and are the same as the sys32 file in that link.

Later...looking at the images of the file properties you had sent me, I am sure your sys32 file size is the same as mine and you just sent me two copies of the sysWOW64 file.  Unless the file got moved.

• Clan Friend

imho you shouldn't focus on opengl32.dll but the other dll that is called by Microsoft's one.

I don't know what is the one for Intel, for Amd cards it's something like atioglxx.dll - and it's part of the drivers of course, so it all goes back to gpu drivers again.

And maybe other than ET you could try some other opengl benchmark or test tool, I don't know if there is some utility that's able to list all opengl capabilities for your card.

You should look around for infos about hardware acceleration support for opengl, and your exact card model.

• Like 1

• Leader

He is using the Sandy Bridge CPU graphics.  His first card failed and he is falling back to the integrated graphics.

• Like 1

The two files in those links have the same size, 773 kb, which is the same size as my sysWOW64 opengl32.dll.  My sys32 file is over 1,000 kb.

Either you sent me two copies of your sysWOW64 opengl32 file, or you have the wrong version in your sys32 folder.

I suggest that you check the size of the opengl32.dll in your sys32 folder and send me another copy.

The MD5 hashes for both of our sysWOW64 files are the same and are the same as the sys32 file in that link.

Later...looking at the images of the file properties you had sent me, I am sure your sys32 file size is the same as mine and you just sent me two copies of the sysWOW64 file.  Unless the file got moved.

Im sry,you are right,i sent the same files,

here's the one from sys32

http://speedy.sh/mtxVn/opengl32.dll

My apologies,

• Leader

Im sry,you are right,i sent the same files,

here's the one from sys32

http://speedy.sh/mtxVn/opengl32.dll

My apologies,

That one is also 733KB, like the sysWOW64 file.

I uploaded a copy of my windows\system32\opengl32.dll from my Windows 7 pro to SpeedyShare.

http://speedy.sh/n38jy/redBaird-SYS32-opengl32.dll

You can download this file and put it into your wolfenstein installation, in same folder as ET.exe.  Trim off the leading "redBaird-SYS32-", leaving only "opengl32.dll", and try running ET with that.

(It's a little safer to work on a copy of the downloaded file and delete the opengl32.dll if it does not work for you.  Leaving the original titled as "redBaird..." means that it's origin will not be lost nor will any software try to use it.)