XP to WIN? Need upgrade, which to choose?

soulJAHmon

Issue 1:  I have XP, I love XP.   Now I must upgrade, but to which one? I have Microsoft Security essentials and a free version of Avast as my current security.

Issue 2:  Can someone who actually knows tell me the steps to upgrading, so I don't lose any data? I have never re-installed or upgraded an OS before. So, don't be afraid to talk down to me like a dummy, I is one.

I have an AMD 64 x 2 Duo-core 3800+, 2.01 GHz, 3.25 GB RAM. I think I have the Min Req. for Win 8.

I also have a 500GB external hard drive (NAS) that can be used to back stuff up. My current PC has the drive "partitioned", which was done by a friend of mine who is a pc tech.

My daughter uses my pc to home school, daily, and I am going to online university this fall, making this upgrade very very important to me.

Please help a brotha out.....

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/help/upgrading-from-windows-xp-to-windows-7#T1=tab01

That might help a little, from what they say, you need to back everything up. But you have partitions on your hard drive, you SHOULD be able to use one partition to save all of your important files, and just pop the windows disc in, and install.

You will also need a DVD player to read the newer windows discs.

It's really super easy though. Copy everything you want to save onto that external drive of yours, pop in the Windows 7 or Windows 8 DVD (Whichever you choose) and installation really takes care of itself. You just answer a few simple questions during the process, and enter the product key from the DVD case.

It's really super easy though. Copy everything you want to save onto that external drive of yours, pop in the Windows 7 or Windows 8 DVD (Whichever you choose) and installation really takes care of itself. You just answer a few simple questions during the process, and enter the product key from the DVD case.

or you can download the updates from online.

On that note, its all a preference thing.

If you do not mind tieing your email account to your computer account, then windows 8 is for you. You also have the sidebar slide motions and its easier to access/find programs. Though you also loss the free games like solitaire and hearts...though the updates are really really fast.

BUT

If you just want something thats easy to play games with and not a complete pain in the ass when you want to do 2 things at once, then I recommend windows 7. Though be prepared for slow ass updates...

Each one has its ups and downs really...so I suggested if you have friends that have windows 8/7 to ask to have a look at their computers before picking.

Just dont get windows 8.1....trust me on that lol.

• Like 1

Sounds easy, hope it is that simple. I only have an old CD drive now, so apparently I must also buy and install a DVD first? Part of my issue is knowing what to save. Things like pictures & documents are already on the ext drive., but what else should I consider trying to back-up?

It really is easy, and I'm just average with computers.

I'm also being told by my girlfriend, that you can purchase and download windows direct from the microsoft site, and install from there. Just make sure you back up your files first, and that will save you $15 +/- on a DVD player/burner

EDIT: I think that's what speedy meant by download the updates. I've never bought from online though, I've always used the disc to install.

Edited by Antichrist

With this (official microsoft) free tool, you can make a (bootable)"windows (7/8) install disk" on an ordinary usb stick.(4+ Gigabytes)

Installation is faster then with dvd, and it saves you a disc and in your case a player.

http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msusa/html/pbPage.Help_Win7_usbdvd_dwnTool

Hope it can be usefull for you,

Good luck!

Dirk 

• Like 1

or you can download the updates from online.

On that note, its all a preference thing.

If you do not mind tieing your email account to your computer account, then windows 8 is for you. You also have the sidebar slide motions and its easier to access/find programs. Though you also loss the free games like solitaire and hearts...though the updates are really really fast.

BUT

If you just want something thats easy to play games with and not a complete pain in the ass when you want to do 2 things at once, then I recommend windows 7. Though be prepared for slow ass updates...

Each one has its ups and downs really...so I suggested if you have friends that have windows 8/7 to ask to have a look at their computers before picking.

Just dont get windows 8.1....trust me on that lol.

FYI, u don't need a email account to use windows 8, u just have to select the *local account* option. Also, windows 8 is much faster than windows 7(if tried both on the same PC)

That being said, if u can't get use to a new way to use windows, go with the slower windows 7, as opposed to windows 8 :)

With this (official microsoft) free tool, you can make a (bootable)"windows (7/8) install disk" on an ordinary usb stick.(4+ Gigabytes)

Installation is faster then with dvd, and it saves you a disc and in your case a player.

http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msusa/html/pbPage.Help_Win7_usbdvd_dwnTool

Hope it can be usefull for you,

Good luck!

Dirk

My personal favorite kind of tool like that is this:

http://www.pendrivelinux.com/liveusb-install-live-usb-creator/

It has options for making bootable usbs for tons of OSes, including windows 7 and 8.

It really is easy, and I'm just average with computers.

I'm also being told by my girlfriend, that you can purchase and download windows direct from the microsoft site, and install from there. Just make sure you back up your files first, and that will save you $15 +/- on a DVD player/burner

EDIT: I think that's what speedy meant by download the updates. I've never bought from online though, I've always used the disc to install.

I think what speed is saying, is that windows 7 everyday updates take longerrrrr then the speedy windows 8 updates. Iv experienced the same thing coming for windows 7 to 8.

Sry for this massive triple post. Can a staff member plz make mine 1 post? Thx

Edited by kami

One of the things I want to back up is my contacts and folders that I have set up inside an older copy of Microsoft Office Outlook(probably 2004 or 2005). I have Gmail, but it is tied to my outlook. (which, BTW, was a terribly hard process for me which I never want to do again.)

If I upgrade, will I lose my outlook? Would I lose those folders and contacts? I am ok with the idea of using Gmail directly in the future if necesary, but I still want the contents of those folders saved. Do I need to back them up? If so, how to do it and get them to open afterwards?

BTW, thanks for the relpies I have recieved so far. :thanks

So far, I think I am leaning toward Win 8, and I think I must have the 32bit version. And I'm thinking that the downloadable is the way for me.  As for creating a flash-drive boot, is that something I do after I have upgraded?

And if I buy a 32 bit upgrade version for this PC, and make a flash/boot USB, would I be able to use the same key to install Win 8 64-bit on a rebuild of this same PC, planned for Sept this year?

As far as applications I use regularly, e-mail, browser, gaming, and occasionally Office stuff. Not much beyond those really. I'm only a light user of social media sites, but do have facebook.

Edited by soulJAHmon

Windows 7 or 8 for the OS.

you can save the outlook email, but you will have to look for the correct file extension:

Your configuration may not include all of the following files. Some files are created only when you customize Outlook features.

ShowOutlook data files (.pst)

ShowOffline Folders file (.ost)

ShowPersonal Address Book (.pab)

ShowOffline Address Books (.oab)

ShowCommand bar and menu customizations (.dat)

ShowNavigation Pane settings (.xml)

ShowRegistered Microsoft Exchange extensions (.dat)

ShowOutlook contacts nicknames (.nk2)

ShowRules (.rwz)

ShowPrint styles (Outlprnt with no extension)

ShowSignatures (.rtf, .txt, .htm)

ShowStationary (.htm)

ShowCustom forms

ShowDictionary (.dic)

ShowTemplates (.oft)

ShowSend/Receive settings (.srs)

ShowMessage (.msg, .htm, .rtf)

Ummm, I have absolutely no idea what to do with that Cruel.

I think the first four you listed would cover the stuff I want to save.

Maybe search for the ones that have address book/contacts or folders and copy them to my external drive? But what after that? Will they still open for me?

I'm guessing there is a way to restore the files directly from outlook once u have upgraded.

But be warned! *OUTLOOK IS NO LONGER FREE*

as to making a USB boot, that's not nessisary if u r gunna use the download method. USB boot is mainly if u already have a OS iso disk image ready to burn/extract

Assuming you haven't made a decision yet...

I just had a chance to check out Windows 8.1

If you're set in your ways, and don't adapt easily to major technology changes, I would suggest Windows 7 for you. Windows 8.1 Has a lot of icons, and at first glance seems difficult to navigate for me, being used to the classic Windows layout, folder names, having a start menu, among other things. I personally will be sticking with my Windows 7 for a while until I'm ready for the upgrade.

However, it also appears to run much smoother and faster as well. So take that into consideration. I'd definitely suggest stopping into a local store that sells PCs so you can see it for yourself first hand and navigate a little bit. You might like it, but personally it's not for me at this time. But I'm not very tech savvy, Hell, I don't even use most features on my cell phone, and I probably don't know what features I even have lol.

Yes, thanks for that Anti. I'm just like you and I'm fairly sure i would prefer Win 7 for those reasons, but for me, because of money and pain in the ass factor, I'm leaning towards 8.1 simply so i don't have to upgrade again for the longest time possible. Might as well bite the bullet and get used to the latest tech, like it or not.

Go 8.1. They've made it feel more like 7 with the inclusion of the start menu. It's really helped for those who hate the whole metro crap. A good article on the subject:

http://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/windows-xp-users-dont-fear-windows-8-anymore/

I run Windows 8 currently. I have not bumped up to 8.1 yet only because of the rough edges when it comes to gaming (many games refused to run with 8.1 at the start). It might be a little more stable now, so I may take the plunge myself.

I believe 8.1 has DX11.2 exlusive which is a bonus depending on your hardware.

I hated Win 8 when i first got it, but now that I'm used to it, it's not all that bad. Hopefully 8.1 makes it even easier.

• Like 1

Go 8.1. They've made it feel more like 7 with the inclusion of the start menu. It's really helped for those who hate the whole metro crap. A good article on the subject:

http://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/windows-xp-users-dont-fear-windows-8-anymore/

I run Windows 8 currently. I have not bumped up to 8.1 yet only because of the rough edges when it comes to gaming (many games refused to run with 8.1 at the start). It might be a little more stable now, so I may take the plunge myself.

I believe 8.1 has DX11.2 exlusive which is a bonus depending on your hardware.

I hated Win 8 when i first got it, but now that I'm used to it, it's not all that bad. Hopefully 8.1 makes it even easier.

Not to get into an argument, but imo the 8.1 start menu button just takes up space, and is just a different shortcut like the 8.0 one.  8.1 does not have a *real* start menu, atleast like windows 7.