Fan Error

n30cortex

Hey Guys,

my pc fan (CPU FAN) started to turn up to 100% of speed the whole time.

>SpeedFan< does not find the Fan :(

any suggestions? (the fan of my GTX is available to set the speed manual)

CPU: Intel® Core i7-2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz

RAM: 2x 4GB (M378B5273DH0-CH9)

Graphic Card: nVIDIA GeForce GTX Titan

Monitor: 30" Dell Screen 

There can be a overload of dust in your PC, try to clean the inside and remove all the dust if it's there, I had the same. But after cleaning my case it was fixed.

Also do you use a custom CPU cooler or just the stock one?

Edited by Motafied
  • Like 1

HAHAHA Thunder...

@The Problem - Try finding internal fan speed controls that may have come with your mobo. Check the thermal paste compound used on the CPU, perhaps you need to wipe it off and apply more. Perhaps even test a new fan (not a likely solution but possible)

Is there a "Thermal" section in your BIOS?

100% fan speeds are always lovely. I'd flash your BIOS and maybe take out the CMOS battery, press the power button for 5-10 seconds with it out (and unplugged), then put the battery back in and see if it works.

100% speed - stock cooler - sounds like... meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

:D

if you love ur cpu - go get a cooler that actually has a chance to keep it low!

the fan stays after boot at 100% no game nothing running exept "SpeedFan", Skype & xFire...

But the Fan isnt listed in SpeedFan.

After several boot it doesn't stop.

checked my other cooler. same problem XD

gonna buy a 18cm ventilator and place it infront of the pc (open case and just the passiv cooler on the cpu)

mini-ventilator-cu-usb-3-smart2buy-500x5

the fan stays after boot at 100% no game nothing running exept "SpeedFan", Skype & xFire...

That's why I believe it is either a BIOS or motherboard issue (hopefully the former, as that requires no money to fix :D). Like I said earlier, flashing your BIOS can be a great place to start. I've had harddrive controllers that I thought were dead start working on me again, I/O errors fixed, etc.

bios flash? no thanks.

one time done, not again...

i can live with the noise ;)

got a little subwoofer now beneath my pc sooo i don't hear it anymore when i'm listening to music :P

How many of time you let your pc turned on?

If not enough then try this:

-Power Off (no use).

-Power On (want to use it).

Let it turned on all the day doesn't further to help your cooling system.

• Like 1

gonna buy a 18cm ventilator and place it infront of the pc (open case and just the passiv cooler on the cpu)

mini-ventilator-cu-usb-3-smart2buy-500x5

For the cost of that fan, or less, you can buy ONLY the CPU fan (Assuming the heatsink is a quality unit, if it's low quality, It should also be replaced), and new thermal paste. If those items don't fix the problem, Then it could be the fan speed controller in BIOS/motherboard, at least that's my guess. Or BIOS settings are doing it.

But if your fan is bad, and it dies one day while on your PC, that monstrosity won't cool your CPU enough, and if your BIOS doesn't have thermal protection shutdown, guess who needs to buy a new CPU fan, new CPU, and maybe motherboard?

You :P

First thing I would do, is verify fan speed settings for the CPU in BIOS. Especially since you said both coolers are doing the same thing. If you don't know how, you can find guides online, or simply google search a BIOS item, and it will tell you what it does. Obviously you need a second working PC to do that at the same time you're in BIOS.

QUESTION: How old is the CPU fan that you are currently using that is showing this problem?

You can also check your fan condition by opening your case and spin with fan with your finger (With the computer off, obviously). The fan should spin easily and freely. Some fans will have a smooth spin, others will have stronger magnets, and if you spin the fan slowly, you can watch the blades reach a certain point, then they advance forward themselves. But if your blades don't spin much, your fan has dust inside it, or is worn down and needs to be replaced.

If those items fail to correct the problem, It might be time to flash your BIOS. I've done it a few times, as well as updated BIOS, without any problems.

How many of time you let your pc turned on?

If not enough then try this:

-Power Off (no use).

-Power On (want to use it).

Let it turned on all the day doesn't further to help your cooling system.

always turned off if i'm not working...

For the cost of that fan, or less, you can buy ONLY the CPU fan (Assuming the heatsink is a quality unit, if it's low quality, It should also be replaced), and new thermal paste. If those items don't fix the problem, Then it could be the fan speed controller in BIOS/motherboard, at least that's my guess. Or BIOS settings are doing it.

But if your fan is bad, and it dies one day while on your PC, that monstrosity won't cool your CPU enough, and if your BIOS doesn't have thermal protection shutdown, guess who needs to buy a new CPU fan, new CPU, and maybe motherboard?

You :P

First thing I would do, is verify fan speed settings for the CPU in BIOS. Especially since you said both coolers are doing the same thing. If you don't know how, you can find guides online, or simply google search a BIOS item, and it will tell you what it does. Obviously you need a second working PC to do that at the same time you're in BIOS.

QUESTION: How old is the CPU fan that you are currently using that is showing this problem?

You can also check your fan condition by opening your case and spin with fan with your finger (With the computer off, obviously). The fan should spin easily and freely. Some fans will have a smooth spin, others will have stronger magnets, and if you spin the fan slowly, you can watch the blades reach a certain point, then they advance forward themselves. But if your blades don't spin much, your fan has dust inside it, or is worn down and needs to be replaced.

If those items fail to correct the problem, It might be time to flash your BIOS. I've done it a few times, as well as updated BIOS, without any problems.

Change Fan: done, still 100%

Flash Bios: done, still 100%

change CPU:  net yet. going to buy a asus board wirh dual cpu sockel...

Flashing BIOS is different from verifying CPU fan settings in BIOS, make sure those are all set to Auto/Quiet and Cool  or something like that, and not set on Maximum/Full.

Also, can you verify that the CPU fan is plugged into the correct spot on your motherboard? It should be Labeled as CPU FAN, and ensure it isn't plugged into one next to it which would be a similar connection, but for case fans.