General movie making help plz

Achiyan

okay, i tried converting demos with Overwolf and Fraps (watch demos and record screen to make .avi files.) and then edit with Sony Vegas Pro. but, Overwolf wont record, says in game only, and Fraps has multiple issues like files are friggin huge. 13 minutes = 24+gigabytes. but of course i play 1920x1080 and also would prefer to record with as little lost data as possible. so if i play 1080p then i'd like you to watch 1080p. and the other problem i have with Fraps are my frame drops. i can go from 250fps and start recording with Fraps and drop to 29-41 frames....dafuq yo -_-

so basically guys, what programs do you use or what methods do you guys recommend?

Record demos, then use those to record .avi's (using cl_avidemo xxx, where xxx is the fps you want). Put those into Vegas, then VirtualDub, finally render in MeGUI. Best quality and smallest file size

Edited by hobbit
  • Like 1

cl_avidemo 60 will work. The higher the fps, the higher the quality will be, but the longer the avi will render.

http://www.crossfire.nu/tutorials/123/moviemaking-tutorial

That's a good guide on programs and commands for quality, etc if you want to  maximize it all

• Like 1

I think at crossfire.nu (already mentioned) you will find the best moviemaking tutorials.

You can also render online here by simply uploading your demo: http://www.igmdb.org

Works with all Q3-Engine games, tried it with a few demos a while ago.

Works pretty well with Quake demos:

With Jaymod demos the sound is getting async after a few minutes. Didn't contact an admin to look into,

maybe it's some bug, maybe it works better with other mods or shorter demos:

Downside is you can't configure much except resolution, fps and timestamps. Quality is so-so. You can only render at more than 30fps if you donate, but for a short clip for the lulz its quite useful imo. If you want to do a high quality movie with sound and editing this is of course no option.

Edited by S3ti
  • Like 1