Pro

urby

• Clan Friend

Another important thing, quoting the good old Latin maxim 'divide et impera', you need to break down complex things in many simple ones, and pay attention only to one.

For example, trying to give a headshot as fast as possible when you see an opponent could be one of these parts. One day you can focus only on that, another day you can focus - for example - on your movement or other things.

Talking about 1on1 (because you need also to know what to do when there are more players shooting at you, for example trying to move to a place where they cannot crossfire, or they would teamkill) in 1on1 it's mostly a matter of time (i.e. accuracy and headshots, since the better your accuracy, the faster you kill)

But it's not only about shooting, you must know when you have to wait and when you need to attack, etc.

I don't know if it counts as advertising but a really nice book which imho is a must read for gamers who want to improve is 'Playing to Win' by David Sirlin.

Even if it's not about Enemy Territory you have everithing in there, the difference between playing for fun and to win, the difference between Winning and making 'cool moves' or things which might look cool but they don't win in practice, etc. etc. I agree almost 100% with everything written on that book, even if according to that I don't play to win, if I really wanted to I think that book is the one to read (and it's also free afaik)

• Like 3

That book SunLight posted is definetely worth a look if you want to improve.

And never get trolled by others and just do what's possible to win no matter what (well, except cheating :P)

If some call you camper/backer, they are too stupid to be ready for a fight and get fragged the 10th time in a row in the same spot, not your problem.

If some call you runner/healer/hide etc it means they are too bad to frag you on the first run. Not your problem and it's more like showing respect and knowing when you will lose. If 2 good players meet with the same hp, it's often 1 or 2 hits that will decide, if not the one with more hp will win.

If you get called unhitable it means either your opponent sucks or you are dodging right.

It looks simple on the surface in most games but can get pretty complex if you start respecting your opponent and start thinking 5 seconds ahead when playing, that makes you ready and will give you a big advantage. You can just let someone run into your crosshair without moving your mouse too much.

Always loved this (pretty old) Q3 movie, from ~2:06 there are those little "prediction/possibility hints" shown, that's exactly what should happen in your head when playing, for me this is just a masterpiece. It's Quake but can be adapted to every shooter imo ;)

• Like 2

i really miss playing quake 3. used to love popping someone with rail gun then finish them off with machine gun :P

and once you got air rockets sussed, the run factor really upped.

Edited by TheJuice

• Clan Friend

About the word pro, I would say that many words are used with a differnt meaning than the original one, and still people understand the point. It's wrong, but who cares if people share a common (wrong) meaning.

Sometimes I hate it when people (not in English, since it's not my language, and maybe I wouldn't even be able to notice it) misspell things, or use words with a wrong meaning, but let's face it, in the future those words will probably have *that* meaning and spelling because languages evolve.

As regards camping, if a game is a competitive game (and ET is not, especially in public servers) there is only 1 thing: winning (or losing). If a game allows players to win in a lame way, then it's a lame game in the first place. If it's not obvious who wins and who loses then it's not a competitive game.

People should only play games like chess and such, where you win only if you are good, and never because you have a faster pc or better internet. But someone could say, having a better brain or being raised in a certain way or having the time to learn chess better is just as unfair as having a faster internet, or living closer to the server.

That's why I think you shouldn't play to beat other players but only to reach your limit, and be happy with that.

And anyway I have never seen a pro.. er.. very good, player who has been taught what to do, or who has been able to teach someone else. I remember once a skilled player told me 'Maybe I could teach you something' blablabla etc.etc.

It didn't happen, but chances are that my accuracy would have stayed at 40% and his at 50%

And accuracy *is* important. Engineers might win the game, but not if they are dead. As far as I know reaction time cannot be improved (actually it gets worse with time), so all a beginner can do is playing and discovering how much talent they got (if any). Once they reach a level they can keep it or get worse, nothing else.

• Like 2

the answer to this question is really simple actually.

if you want to be such a pro et player, you first have to be smart and know how to use brain when playing. Now if u have that, then all u need to do is practice.

You can also watch some matches that were played by pro players, you could learn something from there aswell.... (can find them on gtv)

Now you could maybe ask pro players personally for some tips, but this is definitly the worst place to do that, because i bellive there are no real etpro players on fa forums. Try IRC

aside from the mud-slinging comments its a good thread...to a point. then it disintegrates into crap.

back on topic - best point that was mentioned here - watch and learn from others. you can learn tips and what to do from good players, and learn what not to do from 'not so good' players. and then practise them yourself.

there's a bucketful of other things you can also do, but keep it simple as you learn

gl

Removed the bit where this topic got derailed and out of hand and re-opening it in the interest of helping the person who was looking for advice and not trying to have a debate on the definition of the term "Pro" or a pissing contest in the middle of a forum.

Assuming we can do that, it can remain open.

Thank you,

=F|A= Management Team

As far as my personal contribution to your search for glory, a wise man once said "practice makes perfect" and "practice, practice, practice!"

Edit: If you were not directly involved and think your post was hidden out of error, please PM me and I will look into it.

Edited by GI-JOE
  • Like 7

• Clan Friend

here is a tool I wrote some time ago to parse statistics from ET demos. It works well only with etpro demos, other mods don't give full stats:

http://fearless-assassins.com/files/file/734-et-demo-stats/

Statistics are not necessarily a good way to tell skills, but if you want to improve it can help if you know which areas you need to improve most, recording a demo and comparing your stats with other players in the server.

Here are some stats from a fail session of mine at some etpro public server:

TYPE          	GIVEN	RCVD	GV/RCV	% TOT.	SKILL FACTOR
1on1:         	2953	3034	97%	 63%,  55%	-0.1
back/side:    	690	1002	68%	 14%,  18%	
total 1on1:   	3643	4036	90%	100%, 100%	-0.3

crossfire:    	1038	1450	71%	 22%,  26%	-1.0
  2vs1:       	668	614	108%	 14%,  11%	
  1vs2:       	438	1052	41%	  9%,  19%	

total damage: 	4681	5486	85%	100%, 100%	-0.5
under fire:   	2398	2692	89%	 51%,  49%	

first hit 1on1: given 19, received 15

acc	headacc	hits/hs	HP/sec	seconds	shoots	hits	heads
overall acc.: 	39.5%	5.9%	6.7	49.9	93s.	595	235	35
1on1 acc.:    	45.3%	7.7%	5.9	70.3	43s.	285	129	22
underfire acc:	44.8%	6.7%	6.7	65.6	34s.	223	100	15

Kills: 26
Deaths: 34
Selfkills: 0

as you can see in 1on1 I was like my average opponent, slightly below but still more or less the same. Instead I got crossfired more than I did, and that's probably the reason why I had more deaths than kills.

I even hit first in more 1on1s so it's not a reaction time problem here, but skill is skill and here you have the stats of another player who was in allies like me:

TYPE          	GIVEN	RCVD	GV/RCV	% TOT.	SKILL FACTOR
1on1:         	1590	916	173%	 58%,  54%	+1.6
back/side:    	502	175	286%	 18%,  10%	
total 1on1:   	2092	1091	191%	100%, 100%	+1.9

crossfire:    	610	604	100%	 22%,  35%	+0.0
  2vs1:       	542	500	108%	 20%,  29%	
  1vs2:       	118	104	113%	  4%,   6%	

total damage: 	2702	1695	159%	100%, 100%	+1.3
under fire:   	1214	1122	108%	 44%,  66%	

first hit 1on1: given 12, received 9

acc	headacc	hits/hs	HP/sec	seconds	shoots	hits	heads
overall acc.: 	45.2%	8.9%	5.1	64.1	42s.	270	122	24
1on1 acc.:    	52.1%	9.3%	5.6	82.4	21s.	140	73	13
underfire acc:	50.5%	6.4%	7.9	74.3	16s.	109	55	7

Kills: 34
Deaths: 26
Selfkills: 12

he is way superior in 1on1 if compared with his average opponent, and also compare his accuracy with mine, he deals 82HP of damage per second in 1on1, while I had 70. Overall I give damage for 50HP/second, which is typical for lowskill, he has around 65 which is like med/med+ imho.

It might seem a small difference, but as it has been mentioned in this thread the difference between being ordinary and good lies in a couple of extra hits

edit:

the map was delivery, of course in maps like supply getting the same accuracy is harder

Edited by SunLight
  • Like 1

Was also mentioned before I guess, if you begin to play a game and are willing to improve and invest your time always watch your own game and compare it to better players. When you are playing you won't have much time to think about what could have been better in some situations and just react, but if you watch your own demos sometimes you will notice where you make the same small mistakes repeatedly. Small but deciding things in some situations like not using available cover when reloading or switching weapons and such. Reviving when it's obvious that you will die too. Not reviving when you could have used the revived guy for covering your reload. Always running in the same places with a cooked nade and get shot etc etc, you will notice patterns. Also stuff like always overshooting your targets (sens maybe too high) or trailing permanently (sens maybe too low).

With time you will develop weak points or bad habits, which everyone has. If you can get aware of them early you can counter them before they get ingrained.

For instance: I know I have trained some bad habits over the years which are really hard to break. For me it's usually easier to track an enemy from right to left, dunno why, but because of that I try to choose positions where I can do exactly that and therefore I get more predictable in places than I should be. And my strafejump to the right sucks because I got used to a strange keyboard layout. Another bad habit is to instantly reload after fragging someone even when 20 bullets are left and the next guy is already coming around the corner (which I see many people do too :P)

• Like 1

Use proper resolution 

Get your own graphic settings 

Get stable fps

Play with you mouse driver setting

Affine your ET mouse setting properly 

Nobody can help you for that cause every sync/cpu/mouses/mouse mat are differents and cant be same as anyone else !

Find a spot to kill wont make your skill better you will kill but wont be any better + that kind of gameplay simply kill da game and follow somebody else well up to you if you want be an ash killer i guess . Just keep play watch your crosshair while shoting you will know then if its too slow or too fast m_yaw for me is mainly tracking setting and sensitivity would be how fast you track even know sens affect m_yaw you will have to find the setting that suit you by your own !

Good luck and enjoy the game :) 

the answer to this question is really simple actually.

if you want to be such a pro et player, you first have to be smart and know how to use brain when playing. Now if u have that, then all u need to do is practice.

You can also watch some matches that were played by pro players, you could learn something from there aswell.... (can find them on gtv)

Now you could maybe ask pro players personally for some tips, but this is definitly the worst place to do that, because i bellive there are no real etpro players on fa forums. Try IRC

I think you have made one mistake, there is one pro ET gamer (I know only him) who is registered on =F|A= forum. His name is BossHK.

I think you have made one mistake, there is one pro ET gamer (I know only him) who is registered on =F|A= forum. His name is BossHK.

You are a pro gamer if thats what you do for a living. If you just play it for fun and you`re good at it you are not a pro gamer. Lets say in COD OpTic, FaZe, EnVyUs etc. they are pros because they get their money out of it. Get it?