Pro

urby

I used to be super crap and now i'm just crap which is still a step up. I just play heaps on ETpro. Really does help a lot and i mean it, you will see in a few weeks, with some guidance, your gameplay, your aim and your movement will all improve. :)

I suggest to find your current config file, which is probably somewhere in etmain/profiles/<your_name>/, and examine the contents of that file. You can easily do that by opening the file in Notepad or something similar. If you don't know, what some cvar/command means, there is a pretty comprehensive list of all of them here: http://fearless-assassins.com/enemy-territory-cvars.html .

After you know what the basic config file contains, try modifying it a little by little and see, what happens when you change something. For example simply change crosshair size and see how it looks like in-game (cg_crosshairSize). To test the changes you've made to the config file, you can execute the file in console by writing /exec <name of your config>. If you've made changes to for example resolution (r_customWidth, r_customHeight), you should also after executing the config write /vid_restart to apply all changes. Writing your own config from scratch is quite time-consuming, as you need to test it alot and find that sweet spot, that fits your gaming style and hardware.

Another way would be just downloading some other players config and play with it. Chances are, the config you just downloaded is much better than your basic config, but you should keep in mind, that the player, whose config you're owning with right now, probably has different kind of hardware and preferences than you. So even if you take this route, I'd suggest to modify the config to fit your needs. Again, it comes down to knowing the basic commands and cvars, so what ever you do, learn the "theory", as boring as it may sound. That applies to pretty much everything actually, if you want to do the most awesome tricks with basketball there are, you should first learn to bounce the ball.

When it comes to scripts and such, my opinion is to learn to play without them first, and then apply them. Scripts do have some advantages over playing "old-school", but there are also lots of drawbacks, so learn the basics first so you know what you are diving into with scripts. Again, this is only my opinion and I personally don't use any scripts, besides of class-selector I've written, which takes away the inconvenience of having to go to limbo menu.

As the previous replies have stated, to get good, you have to practice. That also applies to everything: to become the best in something, it takes tons and tons of hours of practice and analyzing and studying yourself and others: why do I always lose to that one guy in 1on1, why can't I get my accuracy above 35, how does that one guy kill me in 2 seconds everytime etc. The guys you watch on YouTube have been playing years and they have been in and seen hundreds of similar situations, so they know what to do, where to move, who to shoot first and so on pretty much subconsciously. So I'm afraid there is no shortcut, you just have to put in the effort to become "pro". To know what to actually practice and where you should focus, read carefully the previous replies - they have pretty good tips.

So to sum up, learn the theory, practice, practice and practice. Google and forums like this can help you alot when it comes to writing your config, but to actually learn to play, you just have to dedicate the time needed.

• Like 1

• Clan Friend

nono how to tape in console

you don't type a whole config in console, some configs are even in more than 1 file...

you just copy those files in your etmain folder (usually) and then from the gaming console you type /exec configname

If the name is autoexec.cfg it will be autoloaded.

download some decent config, possibly from a good player and possibly trusted, and in the future you should learn how to write one yourself, remember: you can't get good at something you don't really like, no pain no gain.

If you think training is boring, writing configs is boring,  reviewing your games watching ettv or reading tutorial is boring, then improving will be boring too, aka impossible.

In 2009 I was like low+ because I played more, I also did some trickjumping which helps with mouse skill, I played only etpro, I had a lower ping, sometimes I trained or made 1on1, I watched ettv or played scrims, etc.etc.

Then I started playing jaymod and high ping and I forgot how to aim because all the things I was paying attention to (hit marks, hitsounds, etc.) were different, movement was different, and the average level was lower so I started playing randomly without paying attention.

I never had a top accuracy, like some players I knew who had always 50% but I had a solid 40+ at least in pubs and in wars too if I didn't prefire much. Now I get 30 sometmies, enough said. So practice practice practice. If you practice you improve, if you don't or you play the wrong way then you get worse.

And by the way, you cannot compare yourself with a frag movie, frag movies are a collection of the best actions from a player, if you watch them playing normally they don't play like that 24/7

• Like 1

plz tell me exacli how to tipe config in console !!!!

Hit the ~ key to bring down the console. you'll use the /set and /seta commands to change config in the console. set changes things temporarily, seta changes them for good on that server (until you change them again of course). so 

/set cg_autoreload 0

turns off autoreload until you quit and restart the game. then it will go back to the normal setting.

/seta cg_autoreload 0

turns off autoreload and the server will remember this next time you play.

there is a good list of cvars here.

if you like your current config at all, be sure to back it up before you start changing things so you can go back to it if you need to.

Edited by staticwarp

Learn the basic game (obvious game mechanics like weapons, classes, configs, strafing, mouse/hardware setup) Google will be your friend. It will help a lot if you play pickups and scrims or even in a more serious and organized team where you have to play against good/better people. Even is you get destroyed you will get better with time.

More important and deciding in the long run is learning the 'metagame' (stuff like dodging, timing, reading your opponents, beeing unpredictable, learn positions where you can win against better aimers, crossfire with teammates, camping spots...) This will come with experience and practice. Speccing good players will also help alot, there are always little tricks to learn from other players.

Always try to stay calm and concentrate, try to improve and have fun. If you start raging, quit and chill out, at this point you usually lose anyway ;)

• Like 2

many things can contribute:

/sensitivity - default is 5. i have 0.8

/cl_mouseaccel  - default 0 i have 0.2

then u got ur cross hair, you dont want this big mess on your screen, try just the single dot on its own.

when you crouch or go prone, your bullet spread is reduced.

shoot af the head only if you can, this will kill enemies quicker but is a smaller target.

when you shoot the head it makes a "dink" sound, if you notice in the video you posted, nearly all shots are in the head area. Dink Dink Dink.

and just play for fun, personally.. when i play serious and let my emotion run, i die much. but when i just play for fun and laughs, the kills come flooding in.

also there is moving, most (if not all) servers allow double jump. but there is more to it then this, look up strafe jumping on youtube, strafe jumping allows you to gain speed/momentum accross large expanses. like if you've ever played minas tirith, you see people zooming off? chances are - they're strafe jumping.

also, help if you're fair player, join the loosing team always, help them guys out.

there is also your in-game grafix setting & network settings. 

for best, smoothest movement etc, you need to be achieving 125fps no matter where u are on any map,

Edited by TheJuice

• Clan Friend

I used to play better when I was agry@someone, like 'now I'm gonna show that damn cheater that I can still kill him' :P

now it doesn't seem to work anymore, I still lose, but I remember one day @ purefrag there was an obvious cheater and since they didn't votekick I always tried to go where he camped to try and kill him, if I found someone else there, he was dead in 1 second because I expected to find the cheater lol...

This is the proof that focus (being mad and not playing for fun) + playing vs impossible opponents (cheater, in this case) = skill boost :)

• Like 1

and just play for fun, personally.. when i play serious and let my emotion run, i die much. but when i just play for fun and laughs, the kills come flooding in.

Same here :)

Btw If u want to be a good player u should be fair and friendly, team player. Shouldnt  be an ego shooter a-hole.

And train and train. And dont forget! Engineers win the game :D

+1: Play whit friendly fire ON ;)

Same here :)

Btw If u want to be a good player u should be fair and friendly, team player. Shouldnt  be an ego shooter a-hole.

And train and train. And dont forget! Engineers win the game :D

+1: Play whit friendly fire ON ;)

friendly fire Really sharpens up your skills, you have to choose precicely when to shoot, u cant just spray 'n pray!

• Like 1

i pllayed some games on the stopwatch No.2 server last night, Damn! now thats some hard game play!!! fun but hard!!!!

i'd advise some stopwatch playing to sharpen your aim up & time to shoot as friendly fire is on on these servers.