Can putting a good CPU in a potentially bad motherboard fry it?

Xernicus

Hey guys, I have a rather important question-

A few days ago my friend bought a case, HDD, and processor bundle. He put a new Zotac motherboard *that had been sitting around for a year or two*, installed everything properly- and when he tried to boot it up, the fans spin up for maybe a millisecond, and that's it. No beep code, no POST, nothing.

To nail whether it's the CPU or Motherboard that's faulty (I personally believe it's the motherboard), I was thinking of pulling my AM2+ CPU out of my desktop computer and mounting it on his motherboard to see if his computer will boot up then.

However, before I do this, I want to make sure that if the motherboard is indeed faulty, that it won't fry my CPU- as my desktop computer is used for critical uses for me, and even a week of downtime would be very, very bad for me. Can anybody confirm whether my CPU will be safe or not?

Thanks! :D

Might I suggest you try the other way around? Test his CPU in your motherboard? Assuming it's compatible :)

That's an idea that I'm actually seriously considering, and it sounds better than putting my CPU in his mobo. ;)

• Leader

Well, you could first remove his CPU and then turn the unit on and see if it does the same.  That milisecond fan is interesting.  When you take the CPU out, you can see if it is oriented correctly.  It's hard to mount them wrong these days, but ya never know.

You could also try putting your power supply in his computer, or look up the "short two jacks" to see if PS is probably good.  Putting a known good PS in is better proof of goodness.

Heretic has a good idea.  Even better, does he have another friend he can test his CPU with? :)

Could also be the 'power supply'. To test it, take the graphics card out and unplug CD\DVD\Floppy.

If the computer starts = you need a stronger power supply

Edited by redy.

Could also be the 'power supply'. To test it, take the graphics card out and unplug CD\DVD\Floppy.

If the computer starts = you need a stronger power supply

I have a much better way of testing a power supply, trust me. ;)

But this is a known good one (according to my friend at least). If not the motherboard, I'm thinking that his CPU might want more power than what the socket on his mobo will support. I'll know for sure in an hour or two though.

And for the record, let me quote from my profile...

I am a private IT consultant with certifications from Microsoft, Red Hat, Cisco, and CompTIA.

:P

Thanks for all of the advice guys! We shall see... dun dun dunnnnnnnn...

I have a much better way of testing a power supply, trust me. ;)

Now I'm curious :)

BTW: I dont thing the power supply is broken, it sounds more that it is to weak or a connection is missing.

The new generation of PCI express cards and also CPU's require sometimes a additional 6 pin power wire from the supply.

Did you check on that?

sku_28979_2.jpg

atx-4pin-molex-39-01-2040.jpg

Did you install RAM?

Is it the correct RAM for the motherboard? Is that RAM listed as compatible on the motherboard site?

Test PSU unplugged from motherboard. short the green wire to any black wire. Here's a guide: http://www.overclock.net/t/96712/how-to-jump-start-a-power-supply-psu-test-a-power-supply-and-components

Are there any extra cards installed? sound? graphics? lan? Remove them all and test PC again. If it works, add 1 card at a time until the PC doesn't work, the last card installed is faulty. To confirm, remove all cards again, and only install the faulty card. retest PC again.

Post results.

Did you install RAM?

Is it the correct RAM for the motherboard? Is that RAM listed as compatible on the motherboard site?

Test PSU unplugged from motherboard. short the green wire to any black wire. Here's a guide: http://www.overclock.net/t/96712/how-to-jump-start-a-power-supply-psu-test-a-power-supply-and-components

Are there any extra cards installed? sound? graphics? lan? Remove them all and test PC again. If it works, add 1 card at a time until the PC doesn't work, the last card installed is faulty. To confirm, remove all cards again, and only install the faulty card. retest PC again.

Post results.

I'm not sure whether the RAM is good or not, though I can test it in another computer. It is the correct RAM for the motherboard.

This person's computer has an ITX motherboard, so no PCI-e cards are in it.

Even if it were one of the above though, I don't think it would produce what's going on, I'd presume there'd be a beep code, or the fans would run full blast.

I'm not sure whether the RAM is good or not, though I can test it in another computer. It is the correct RAM for the motherboard.

This person's computer has an ITX motherboard, so no PCI-e cards are in it.

Even if it were one of the above though, I don't think it would produce what's going on, I'd presume there'd be a beep code, or the fans would run full blast.

I've seen a bad hard drive also cause the no POST beep, if the boot mgr is missing/corrupt, or if the drive itself is bad. Try unplugging the hard drive and turning the PC on, see if that produces a POST beep, if so it could have bad IDE controllers on the mobo.

I've seen a bad hard drive also cause the no POST beep, if the boot mgr is missing/corrupt, or if the drive itself is bad. Try unplugging the hard drive and turning the PC on, see if that produces a POST beep, if so it could have bad IDE controllers on the mobo.

Well I just put the CPU in one of my mobo's, so it's not the CPU. There's no HDD in the computer, though I have seen fried Southbridges (HDD and Graphics controller) on AMD computers that have wrecked havoc with booting like that. Though as the motherboard has never been used, that would surprise me.

I'm guessing either the motherboard was/is DOA, it got static'd :P, or he didn't use the right screws and it shorted it to oblivion.

Sitting around for a long time can also cause electrolytic capacitors to fail, but if it's only been a year or 2, I can't see it happening in such a short period of time.

If you can test it with known working RAM, and there's no hard drive or expansion cards installed, and you're still not getting a post beep, you can try checking the CMOS jumper to see if its set correctly, make sure CMOS batt is good, and just for the hell of it, try to boot with NO RAM installed, it should give you a series of POST error beeps...

If you get no response, my best guess is a dead/damaged/shorted mother board also. Beyond that, I don't know what else could possibly be wrong.

I just got confirmation that the RAM is indeed good, and apparently my friend tried 4 other sticks to no avail. I'll have him boot it with no RAM- and triple check the jumpers. I wouldn't be surprised if it's the jumpers to be honest, as he's way overconfident and doesn't pay very much attention to the small details.