Some obvious things

Platonic

If I stroll through the forum, every day I see people treated like morons because they don't know some things.
I understand why people who are in the clan for several years think they're obvious, but for newbies they aren't.

My suggestion is to create a guideline (prominently displayed on the website, for example between website and forums), stating all important things in one guide.
It could link to all important topics: admin guide, admin basics, tracker, IP and MAC search,...
It could also state rules that we have, but aren't in the admin guide.

We could make a member and non-member part.

It could be called "Help".

At least, when someone does something wrong then, we could tell them "read the f***ing guideline you moron!". Instead of thousands of different insults of using common sense and so on.
New members can't read every single topic and reading the pinned ones doesn't suffice.

Today, I read: "Seriously, even the most absurd thing must also be specified so that everyone understands instead of applying common sense?"

In my opinion... Yes. One persons commons sense is not the other ones. We could teach people common sense with this guide.

I understand we want to make people search, but this way they would be able to search within a structure. If everything is in one place, people will find things faster, make less mistakes and thus save time of leaders.

If this, or something like this, is to be found a good idea, I always want to help. I can't do the website building, but I'm good with words and structure, so if people would send me the content they would like implied, I would be able to make it an easy-to-read document. 

• Administrators

You can't make someone learn common sense. If they don't have it they don't have it. 

All of the rules and things are on wiki: http://fearless-assassins.com/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

What else do we need? I bet half of the applications wouldn't even read wiki cos mostly just don't care and hence their app sits in application section for weeks. 

• Like 7

First of all, I think it's in the private section should remain in the private section of the forum and not make it public.

I think your perception of the issue has been quite erroneous in regard to my words, as I have explained what to do or not depending on the problem without having treated anyone like a moron. Among other things, because I've always tried to explain what to do in every situation even if that information is available on the wiki or already explained at some point in the forum.

Of course, common sense is not learned, as a rational person who is within this community, I like to know if anyone has that ability or not and is able to judge things reasonably, and for that we have a fairly comprehensive information guide throughout the forum. With all that, I've never had trouble answering when someone asked something, despite the redundant reply.

• Like 3

If I stroll through the forum, every day I see people treated like morons because they don't know some things.

Hmm very strange because i read almost every topic and post what members send here and i not see that they treat people so disrespectful. I know that some questions asked many times, but we have many members to ready help so same member not need to explain same thing many time. And if need he can always Quote his old post. So i cant understand where you see that members treat people like morons.

I bet half of the applications wouldn't even read wiki cos mostly just don't care and hence their app sits in application section for weeks.

You have a very good point there.
However, I don't know if every rule is on the wiki (I think I came by some rules that aren't, for example banning on one server or on all). The thing is, the only way to learn people common sense is by making a very large text, which not-so-smart people will probably not read. So you're right there, sorry if the suggestion felt like criticism.

To give examples: I mean, I could say tons of things that aren't in the wiki, but are there in pinned topics on forum.

To answer this myself: we want people to be looking for information. Yes I know, but some people just won't.

First of all, I think it's in the private section should remain in the private section of the forum and not make it public.

I think your perception of the issue has been quite erroneous in regard to my words, as I have explained what to do or not depending on the problem without having treated anyone like a moron. Among other things, because I've always tried to explain what to do in every situation even if that information is available on the wiki or already explained at some point in the forum.

Of course, common sense is not learned, as a rational person who is within this community, I like to know if anyone has that ability or not and is able to judge things reasonably, and for that we have a fairly comprehensive information guide throughout the forum. With all that, I've never had trouble answering when someone asked something, despite the redundant reply.

If this felt like a personal attack, I feel sincerely sorry. I understand people lose patience and I understand leaders need a whole lot of it.
My example was illustrative and therefore I will not discuss this matter here at all: the quotation could have felt like a normal quotation to anyone, I did not expect a reply from you here, which was bad estimated of course. If someone feels attacked, one wants to defend. I underestimated the impact of my words. Sorry.

Teaching people common sense: I did not mean this literally. I meant: we could teach people the things we want them to know by common sense. Very unintelligent people can know very much by learning.

Antichrist: you are very right. I think a majority of the members does not read the forum carefully. The thing is, we expect them to do so. That's why I did my suggestion. By making one crystal clear page about things we would have to know, I think more people would know what to do. Simply because it's easier to find and some people just don't want to spend hours reading forum.

I see we can better forget the suggestion and understand why, but I'd like you to understand why I made it: some people who are not so good at language, memory and so on, feel a bit scared to post questions on forum. They also don't read forum very well. That's why I was suggesting to make something easier to read, to help people understand very basic things.

some people who are not so good at language, memory and so on, feel a bit scared to post questions on forum. They also don't read forum very well. That's why I was suggesting to make something easier to read, to help people understand very basic things.

What? Like a wiki?

• Like 1

What? Like a wiki?

What is there to be sarcastic about? I know we have a wiki .If you read my post, you'll see I'm giving reasons why I taught it wasn't sufficient. You can disagree, but there's no need for sarcasm.

• Like 6

What is there to be sarcastic about? I know we have a wiki .If you read my post, you'll see I'm giving reasons why I taught it wasn't sufficient. You can disagree, but there's no need for sarcasm.

Fair point, I apologise as I hadn't seen you mention the wiki earlier in your post. I'm used to using sarcasm to show potential flaws in someone's thinking. It's nothing personal, just the way I am and the way I was brought up :)

However, my point still stands. The wiki is there as both an explanation, and a guide. If the wiki isn't sufficient, in your eyes, maybe suggest changes for the wiki, instead of suggesting we make something that's like the wiki but with more information?

• Like 1

You know that sarcasm and humor are one of the top ways that people ingest and actually learn things? On the note of the topic, I agree with Heretic. Instead of suggesting that we have an entirely new section titled help, essentially highlighting everything that can be read in the wiki, suggest changes to the wiki. The wiki is a dynamic thing, meaning it should change continually. That's how groups work; they change and with this change they grow.

You know that sarcasm and humor are one of the top ways that people ingest and actually learn things? 

My point was not that sarcasm is bad (I love it), but that there was nothing to be sarcastic about :)

Fair point, I apologise as I hadn't seen you mention the wiki earlier in your post. I'm used to using sarcasm to show potential flaws in someone's thinking. It's nothing personal, just the way I am and the way I was brought up :)

However, my point still stands. The wiki is there as both an explanation, and a guide. If the wiki isn't sufficient, in your eyes, maybe suggest changes for the wiki, instead of suggesting we make something that's like the wiki but with more information?

No problem, just my way of showing potential flaws in your thinking ;)

I was suggesting something different because I had something else in mind and thoughts always seem better than they are.

It seems like a good idea to me to edit the wiki. I think some things there are quite old as well (for example only auto-kick on silent is mentioned).

I guess it's the permanent problem of every moderator and admin - how to make people read and understand the rules before they are told to do it after they break it.

Well, I agree with you, Plat, that the best way is to get it all together in one place, such as wiki in our case, for example.

Here's one little quotation  from W:ET admin basics on wiki: "Also, these rules are not set and fixed, they are open for change." I do believe that it works for all the system of rules, provided you suggest really important things, and, as Daredevil has already written, make admins know if you find that changes are needed by reporting on tracker.

Edited by Svart Rev
  • Like 1

I will not report on tracker immediately. Will first post here so people could comment on possible flaws.

What follows is stated as if it must be implied, only because it's easier to explain. These are just ideas and should treated likewise.

Possible changes to the wiki:

W:ET server rules

Get your level on the servers as soon as possible. Report the lack of levels on tracker. Connecting to a server with tags and without levels = autokick after some warnings.

W:ET admin basics

Backup your etkey, as explained here. It will save yourself and staff+ lots of energy.

W: ET admin guide

If you want to report trouble players/suspected cheaters, first seek related posts by using the search methods explained on forum. There might be more proof out there than you think. The person you suspect could already be banned for cheating.
Don’t know if we should explain the search methods here as well.

Under ban command usage: cheaters will be banned on all FA-servers. Trouble players will only be banned on the servers where they make the trouble.

Structure: move ‘higher level admins’ just above ‘admin abuse’. Make title 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 9 and 10 subtitles under main title “trouble playersâ€. Under this title you could give an introduction about trouble players, containing the info in the first paragraph (If you want to report…). Maybe repeat here: always be patient with trouble players. Only act when they are affecting the gameplay of other players. Don’t use their behavior as an excuse to abuse your admin commands.

Comments about some ideas being not good or additional suggestions for changes to the wiki are very welcome. Will integrate them into one post.

• Like 2

Yes its good if you can find all important in one place. And i understand you point that every member cant remember all of our rules and when english its not your first langauage you doing mistakes more easily, maybe because you read wrong or you have not so good memory. As DD already say that if we discover good new rule or tips what can add in wiki you can send message to tracker. Its always good to tell if you think that something missing, what we can possible add to new rule. But sometimes something what can sounds good when you thinking that its not rule because good reason. I think our wiki is already very good and i not find any what we can add, but its good if you members find something good what we can add. We are clan and we do all together. You not need to be afraid to tell if you see something what we not see!

Merry Christmas!

• Like 2