Ping help.

Catalepsy

So I recently started playing again and am currently living in Hawaii. My ping doesn't ever stay steady, but it usually is anywhere from 150 (if the server is relatively empty) to about 180 (when the server is full). I have looked around the net to try to find some self fixes, such as disabling Nagles algorithm in reg edit and what not. I have not actually been able to get a lower ping. I was speaking with Maluco on the server and he had mentioned using a proxy, and to be truthful I'd had no real idea of using one so I inquired about it and he told me about WTfast. I downloaded it, attempted it and my ping held steady around 120-125 for a good 15 minutes with the server at about half full.

I wanted to see if I could maximize on the new found stability and so I read a little more and asked this program to essentially find my best case scenario for a ping. It gave me a run down of all the places I could connect through (offering as low as 65 for my ping) so I attempted one such low offer and immediately got banned through it. Anti was there, and can vouch I guess that he saw this and immediately came on the server. I attempted to get back on and it gave me a prompt about the ban, I should have taken a picture of the ban to post, but meh I figured it was a f*** up on the games part or something small. So I turned off this WTfast and came back and was able to get right back on the server with no problem. 

I really hadn't read too much into the program itself, seeing as Mal was using it I thought it was perfectly fine to do so, but maybe someone here has a more direct route for me to get some help with this issue. I feel awfully stupid not knowing much about how to fix this, but meh.  

So I'm asking for ANY advice in this matter and would appreciate all the help I can get. 

-Cata/Shane

post-4795-0-34756400-1387103797_thumb.jpg

Whether or not it's true, I was always told that ping is only showing the connection time between you and the server, in milliseconds.

In order to improve your ping, you need to basically reduce the distance between you and the server.

A 10 ping means nothing with a bad or unreliable connection. I have a 50 ping, and if I have network issues, it doesn't mean anything.

A ping will also normally fluctuate a little. If you watch scores menu in TAB, you'll see that nobody has a steady ping 100% of the time.

Are you only trying to lower your ping? Or are you experiencing other problems that may need to be addressed first?

So this program uses fastest routes to the ET server. So I guess you should try the fastest and the one that doesn´t give you all kind of errors;) I play from europe in jay2 which is US based and I have also 140, sometimes jumping a bit up. So Hawaii is much closer and should have lower ping indeed.

For the starters I´d still go by this: http://fearless-assassins.com/forum-11/announcement-9-how-to-recognize-your-lag/

Just trying to get it as low as possible honestly, I don't expect that there are any problems network wise really. Or that my routers to blame for shit service in Hawaii. I'll give that link a read though, thank you Van.

• Leader

So Hawaii is much closer and should have lower ping indeed.

Actually Hawaii is further away fron New Jersey than Paris is. 

Hawaii to New Jersey = 7878km / 4895 miles    He gets 150-180 ping (he was getting 130 just now)

Estonia to New Jersey = 6796km / 4223 miles   (geo-center of Estonia)

Paris to New Jersey = 5914 km / 3675 miles

Hawaii to Sacramento, CA =  3875 km / 2408 miles  His location to mine

Sacra., CA to New Jersey = 4010 km / 2492 miles   I was gettiing 108 just now, lower than I get to Jays 1 or 2 !

Wow, was I wrong!   I thought Hawaii was about 1200 miles from California!

-----------------

@Catalepsy, I think you are doing well to get pings of 130,150 or 180 to Hardcore-FA in New Jersey.  I get pings over 210 to Jay3 on the French/German border (on 4mb/s DSL).

Then 150-180 ping is just fine. The Hawaii is portraid as its situated just at side of USA but in reality it "sits in middle" of the Pacific ocean.

And only way to get to show ET it has lower ping is to use proxies which just simulates as if ET client is more near to server. In reality you can not make electrical impulses travel faster with a program;) Not yet at least.

EDIT: Come to think of it even if data through cables would travel with 40% of light speed and distance between Hawaii and server would be 8000km it still would pass the distance with 30ms, so extra 150ms would be blamed on (bad) routing.

• Leader

Yes, Vanaraud, you're right.  Most maps of the USA we see on TV and such "pull Hawaii in" a lot closer to the west coast than it really is.