Video has been glitching and stopping since Win7 install....

Ol Smoke

I have been writing about this problem since I built the new PC.  Well today I found the culprit causing the lockup in COD4.

The audio system on the motherboard!!

I have an Intel MB that has this IDT HD audio system on it.  Today, I removed all the software for that audio and also

went into the BIOS and disabled the HD audio system. I also removed the updated NVidia drivers and replaced them with

the 2nd generation 303.23. I did not install any of the other software for NVidia graphics card.  Just the driver.

When I restarted the PC and went into COD4, I was astounded by the clarity of the game and the FPS I am now getting.

I was getting 48-66 fps before and the game would glitch all the time, especially when bombs or nades went off by me. The

game would just halt for about a 1/2 second or so.  No matter what I did to the video settings, this glitch would not go away.

When ever I went into a building or just turned around, the video would stop.

So, it had to be audio.  And it was.

The remarkable thing was this.  I still have audio through my USB headset.  So the system must have a basic audio setup

built into the board somewhere. I have just finished two maps and not a glitch.  The image is really nice and my FPS is over

125 now.

It is nice to be able to play again.

• Like 2

NOW I have looked into how I can have an audio output when I removed all the audio drivers and even turned it off in the BIOS.

When I go to the hardware properties manager, NVidia is now driving my audio system.   I didn't know it would do that.

Anyone who reads this....have any idea how NVidia is doing the sound?

• Administrators

Your USB headset has a built in audio board that drives your sound. Many video cards have audio over HDMI hence why you see Nvidia in the sound controllers. Nvidia is doing nothing to your sound period.

• Administrators

Its clear from your image that your Logitech USB headset is driving your audio, the Nvidia drivers you installed for your videocard also drive the HDMI audio outputs on the video card. These HDMI outputs only work if you plug an HDMI cable into the back of the card and then in the back of your TV or monitor that has speakers. Otherwise they look like this. (random google image)

original.png