Please help wit ET Issues

Neal

Hi guys,

I just got a new toshiba laptop and I get kicked everything time after 1 game....

The kick message says something like -----Crash Information---------- and when I hit the button below Esc to see more details the most information I can get is:

Warning: Refusing to create a relative path

Can someone help me solve this problems... once I get this message 5 seconds later ET closes... then I have to restart et all over again and fix my name..

Please help

Best,

BadFi$h

Screenshots might also be helpful, if you hold ALT and open console, you get a full screen console, or hold ctrl and open console you get a small console at top, and the can use /autoscreenshot to take screenshots.

Or simply printscreen and paste into mspaint and save as a jpg.

And what ET version are you running? 2.55? 2.6? 2.6b?

Are you using 2.55 cfg in 2.6b install? Have you tried removing the cfg file and playing default ans seeing if the problem still happens?

Are your cfg files read only? right click cfg files, properties, security tab, edit, add, and ensure all checkboxes are checked for all groups/users.

Hi,

Thanks a lot for the responses... much appreciated.

Yes I do run ET as administrator... bc if I run normally I get kicked for something... I tried fixing that problem myself and my solution was to run et as administrator.

I do not know my operating system.... it is a brand new toshiba labtop that cost almost 900 bucks.

I am under the impression I am running an older model of et because I have seen a message while I play that I am running an older model.. 

I tried downloading et from this site but it took forever and once it finished I was not able to download btw.

I tried taking a screenshot... lemme know if this helps.

OS: Control Panel> System> View amount of RAM and processor speed

Post the screenshot here. Make sure you click ADD TO POST when the SS is uploaded. Or link from another place you upload the jpg. And you can't link from your desktop either.

You should have no problems downloading 2.6b from the forum and installing. I have done so myself several times, without issues.

The download time with depend a lot on your connection speed and available bandwidth on your network at the time of the download.

Do you mean were able to download and not install? You should have no installation problems either. I believe it just downloads as an executable, so you should be able to double click to open it, select the locations, and begin the install.

EDIT: Also a note.. please try to be a little more polite on the server. Ordering admins to kick someone when you give no other information about what's going on, then insult admins and say we should know what's going on, on the server is a little rude. 10 players. 1 admin in spec, 2 admins playing. It's difficult to watch everyone. And it's almost impossible to tell from looking at console which TKs are accidents, and which are deliberate. Anyone with past ET Admin experience worth his salt will know this.

But here you are, asking us for help, and here we are, still working to help you fix your problem.

• Like 2

Make sure to download from Splash Damge website. I had a bad time from Castlewolfenstein enemy territory site.

We have the 2.6b version on our website in the download section. And it works perfectly.

And back to the issue again, what was the exact problem when you tried to install ET? What happens/what does the window box say when you double click file: WolfET_2.60b_custom?

8 gig ram and 64 bit OS.

Idk how to access wolf cfg files either.. unfortunately im am not real tech savy and know how to put screen shot on this page or save it to a .jpg file.. sorry

thanks again for your help

It will also help if you take your time, and read each thing that is said, or suggested by everyone that replies, do it, and then report the results on each specific item.

Otherwise, we can't help you.

Reading will also help as I explained how to attach a jpg in my first response, and your cfg files are located in etmain and silent. you're looking at autoexec and etconfig.

from what all i read it sounds like it trying to  save a file  and something is blocking it from doing so  the main thing that  can be blocking it is  firewall or virus protected but other then that i have no clue what your deal is

maybe you installed the game wrong i know when i first got this pc  i was have lot of trouble with run as admin so i turn that off  and it fixed 90% of my problems 

• Leader

I got the same error statement today:

Dumped console text to .abc...(scores).txt.
WARNING: refusing to create relative path

"C:\PROGRA~2\WOLFEN~1\jaymod\.abc...(scores).txt"

In this case the "relative path" error refers to the dots in the file name. 

In DOS, we used to be able to do "dir.." or "cd...", which would refer to directories/folders  relative to the one we were "in".  "Dir." would show you the current directory, "dir.." would display the folder 'above' the current one in the directory tree, and "cd..." would change your current directory to the one two levels above. In other words,  "Dir..." would refer to the parent of the parent of the current folder.

My Vista64 would interpret the filename ".a9...x.txt" as trying to put the folder path inside the file name, something like "FA-C:\program files\wolfenstein\.txt", instead of "c:\program files\wolfenstein\FA-.txt".

In my actual error statement, the path line was too long to fit on the page after the WARNING, so Windows put the whole path on the line below.  If you are able to capture an image of the lines before and after the error statement, we will be able to see the actual path that was refused by the system.  (If that is actually the problem :) )