Rebuilding my PC again...

Ol Smoke

Everything was going great and then the dreaded "CHECKDISK" showed up when I was booting up yesterday.

So I took that HDD out of the system and put in another one and started building Win7 again.

After I got everything off the old drive that I needed, I reinstalled it alone and restarted the system.

Checkdisk came on and fixed a lot of bad sectors and some startup files.  Then Windows started.

It seemed to run okay.  Shut down PC.  Restarted   Checkdisk again.  More bad sectors, etc.....

So that HDD is toasted.  I am out of HDD's now.

I bought 10 WD 500GB Green drives from a dealer sale for $28 a piece.  They were brand new OEM's.

The drive that went toast the other day was an old Seagate that I was using to rebuild Win7 from the first

disaster.  So I have 2 of the WD's in the PC now.

This time I was able to install Win7 without the System Reserved Partition.  If anyone wants to know how I did it,

just ask me.  It wasn't that hard.  The internet is full of crap about that partition and how to get around it, I just did it

the old fashioned way,  trial and error.  Took about 20 minutes.

That SRP plays havoc with cloning the drive for a back up.  Without it, it's a snap.

• Administrators

Shift + F10 during initial setup and then diskpart. Also I have never had issues cloning drives and I do it quite often. SRP does not create any issue, its users that don't know how to properly clone hdd's that do.

The system reserved partition is actually quite handy- if you know what you're doing while cloning a disk. The reason for this is because that 100mb partition is what holds the bootloader. So if you go to encrypt your disk, compress the filesystem, re-partition your disk, etc. you'll still be able to boot Windows.

Also checkdisk can't check a disk worth crap. Use something that actually works like Ultimate Boot CD, or SpinRite. If it's not clicking or making any sort of weird noise, just low-level format it and you'll be good to go.

Also, with using the Seagate utility for cloning a hard drive (I had to use this because I bought a 3TB and needed to configure it with GUID instead of MBR) it just works, plain and simple. Not sure what you're using to clone the disk... I remember that Easeus has a utility that works extraordinarily well, as well.

Good luck next time. :)