• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log In with Steam Log In with Google Sign In
  • Create Account
Photo

XP Issue

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

CanadaEh

CanadaEh

L2: Beginner

• Regular User
  • 41 posts
A step in the right direction
  • Server:Jay1
  • Alias:88

Hey all, to start off i'm gonna point out that I have 3 computers, (desktop and 2 older laptops.) I usually play on my desktop 80% of the time. But since when my desktop isn't around all the time, I Like to use my laptops to play ET. And since I want to keep my XP and stats for all my PCs, I transferred my ET folder, and my Punkbuster folder (that's located in the hidden appdata folder) And I put them on my laptop. All went well until i accidentally broke the screen and I still haven't gotten it replaced yet. 

So I transferred my files from my desktop to my OTHER laptop, and when I tried connecting it said I had an invalid GUID. I already knew that something wasn't right and now I don't have my XP on the laptop. So I had to download a new ET Key just to play. But i followed the same steps that i usually did. But I also noticed that on my desktop ET and PB folder, I don't have an etkey ANYWHERE but it still manages to save my XP. What files exactly should I transfer to save my XP on my laptop?

Thanks.

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!

Vanaraud

Vanaraud

L10: Grand Master

• ET Member
  • 3,419 posts
I am just really nice
  • Admin:15
  • Server:Jay2
  • Alias:Vael
  • T-M:ET:2-1
Contributor

You need only ETKEY file from etmain folder(might be somehere else in win7). Also you need to enable PB in etmain and in jaymod mods under Play Online options.

Gengis

Gengis

L7: Teacher

• Recruiting Team
  • 1,267 posts
I am just really nice
  • EvolveHQ:Gengis
  • Admin:17
  • Server:Hardcore ET
  • Alias:=F|A=Gengis
  • T-M:ET: 17-8

Donator

Hi,

You need an ETKEY to save your XP so it is somewhere. Look in your etmain folder for a file named etkey. XP and levels on the server are associated to an etkey that is unique. So if you get a new one you start from scratch.

Gengis

Gengis

Gengis

L7: Teacher

• Recruiting Team
  • 1,267 posts
I am just really nice
  • EvolveHQ:Gengis
  • Admin:17
  • Server:Hardcore ET
  • Alias:=F|A=Gengis
  • T-M:ET: 17-8

Donator

You need only ETKEY file from etmain folder(might be somehere else in win7). Also you need to enable PB in etmain and in jaymod mods under Play Online options.

I use windows 7 and my etkey is in my etmain folder.

Gengis

CanadaEh

CanadaEh

• Regular User
  • 41 posts

Hi,

You need an ETKEY to save your XP so it is somewhere. Look in your etmain folder for a file named etkey. XP and levels on the server are associated to an etkey that is unique. So if you get a new one you start from scratch.

Gengis

It's weird, my desktop version of ET doesn't have an ETKey anywhere (desktop runs Vista) , I noticed this because I uploaded my ET to drop box and it wasn't there either, but it works on my other laptop and its the same exact files.

S3ti

S3ti

L4: Apprentice

• Regular User
  • 579 posts
Has a spectacular aura
  • Admin:4
  • Server:None
Contributor

It's weird, my desktop version of ET doesn't have an ETKey anywhere (desktop runs Vista) , I noticed this because I uploaded my ET to drop box and it wasn't there either, but it works on my other laptop and its the same exact files.

Vista/Win7 makes a copy in "C:\Users\***\AppData\Local\PunkBuster\ET\etmain", but only if it can find a etkey-file in your gamefolder\etmain.

In your config if the cvar cl_guid is not empty but filled with your guid (32 letters/numbers) xp would also save, without having the actual etkey-file. Could have happened "by accident" when you have done /writeconfig some day and have deleted the etkey-file afterwards by reinstall and such.

CanadaEh

CanadaEh

• Regular User
  • 41 posts

Vista/Win7 makes a copy in "C:\Users\***\AppData\Local\PunkBuster\ET\etmain", but only if it can find a etkey-file in your gamefolder\etmain.

In your config if the cvar cl_guid is not empty but filled with your guid (32 letters/numbers) xp would also save, without having the actual etkey-file. Could have happened "by accident" when you have done /writeconfig some day and have deleted the etkey-file afterwards by reinstall and such.

That's odd, on my desktop I don't even have a PB folder where it's supposed to be (in appdata) However I searched for a PB folder and found a random one laying around so I transferred it. It doesn't have an etmain folder in it, just a folder called "pb" that has a bunch of dll's and a .exe file that does nothing when started. However I do have the same ET folder that i had on the desktop, when i put it there I still got invalid GUID, if i didn't have an ETKey on the desktop, why would it work on there and not the laptop?

Thanks for the reply and assistance, I really appreciate it.

S3ti

S3ti

L4: Apprentice

• Regular User
  • 579 posts
Has a spectacular aura
  • Admin:4
  • Server:None
Contributor

Well, it can work without an etkey-file and pb, but cl_guid must be filled with a guid in your config file. But very unlikely if you didn't do it on purpose...

Maybe the easiest way is to do a filesearch for "etkey" on your PCs, also for hidden files and in all folders :) It has to be somewhere.

CanadaEh

CanadaEh

• Regular User
  • 41 posts

Well, it can work without an etkey-file and pb, but cl_guid must be filled with a guid in your config file. But very unlikely if you didn't do it on purpose...

Maybe the easiest way is to do a filesearch for "etkey" on your PCs, also for hidden files and in all folders :) It has to be somewhere.

Don't worry, I won't have to worry about this problem anymore. I have jut ordered a new laptop screen and it will be here 1-2 days. So I will have my XP back and will be able to play like normal. Thanks for help, S3ti. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users