Controls lock up

Xernicus

Hi everyone, I've been having a sporadic, yet increasingly troublesome issue while playing ET, and connected to Jay3. That is, from time to time, my controls stop responding- both my keyboard and mouse. This can last from a split second, to several seconds- and it essentially just loops what I was doing when the problem occurred. So if I was moving sideways, I'd just be strafing- unable to do anything else. The same with moving forward or backward, if I have a mouse button depressed, that will repeat, causing me to waste ammo or switch between sniper/regular view.

My ping is a steady 220-230ms while connected to Jay3, which isn't the best- but isn't long enough to cause these sorts of issues, based on what I know. Though I know the quake III engine can be a bit of a pain in the ass regarding high latency.

Anyways, I appreciate all advice and help you can give me- and I'll frag ya later! ;)

Hi Xernicus.

This happen everytime you join only Jay3 or it happen also in other Jaymods (1 or 2)?

Have you tried after joining Jay3 going to ESC -> Options -> Controls -> Default

or /reconnect what happen if you reload your cfg after joining Jay3?

• Clan Friend

check if you can move your point of view with your mouse when this happens (mouse movement should be the only thing that's not affected by client prediction and network)

if you can move your point of view locally, then it's probably a lag issue. If not then it could be another problem.

• Like 1

Hi everyone, thanks for all of the quick and helpful responses. I play on Jay3 for the majority of the time, so I can't be sure, but it appears to only happen on Jay3. I had the lagometer on for awhile, and I didn't see any lagspikes, but that doesn't mean that they're not there.

I tried resetting my configuration yesterday with no avail; and I presume since I've played 2 or 3 times since then, that it's been reconnected enough. :P
I can't move the POV with my mouse, which I find odd. That's why I don't think it's lag. Nothing works- it all freezes up. Sometimes it seems like if I wiggle the mouse hard enough, it comes back to life- but that's probably just coincidence. Just like when you're waiting for a domain controller to log you in. :P

I recently upgraded my keyboard and mouse; my keyboard is a ROCCAT Isku FX (wired), and my mouse is a Logitech G700S. The problem occurs both when the mouse is in both wired and wireless mode. The only software I've installed recently (and this would be before this started happening) would be the games included in the Humble Origin Bundle.

I do not get the "Connection Interrupted" message either- though I don't think that's a telltale sign of anything.

Thanks for everybody's help so far :D

• Clan Friend

If you can't move your p.o.v. then it's a driver issue or other software or OS issue on your pc. Something freezing your pc.

Check cg_drawfps 1 and see if you have drops in fps (lag can never cause them). Check cpu usage and other processes.

Because the client simulation always allows you to change your point of view, even if you are on connection interrupted. Pov is not client-predicted in Quake3 Engine, only position is.

• Like 1

Check cg_drawfps 1 and see if you have drops in fps (lag can never cause them). Check cpu usage and other processes.

There's never been any FPS lag. (I have the FPS meter open all the time. It's flat at 90FPS) Now that you mention CPU usage though, ET only recognizes one core, correct? Right now I don't have ET set to use a specific core, though I often have various things running that will use the first and/or second core, and it's easier to leave them running than to close them. If I set ET to run on the 3rd or 4th core, could that potentially fix the issue? Or was there a patch released for dual core processors at some point in time that would render setting the affinity useless?

• Clan Friend

ET doesn't support more than 1 core (i.e. multithreading). At most you can prevent the os from switching its only thread from one core to another, but I don't think you can achieve much by doing this.

Trying never hurts, though

If you have a nvidia card, make sure you turned off "threaded optimization" in the driver panel maybe that helps. You can make a profile for ET only.

And try to uninstall that origin bundle to look if that's causing the problem...

• Leader

I'm on west coast USA, like you, and have a similar ping to Jay3. 

I have been occasionally having the feeling of being "pushed" along recently, so much so that I stop and look behind me for a pushy teammate.  This coincides with a green block on my lagometer. It is not like a lag-jump.  (no "Beam me up, Scotty!" feeling)

My signal path to Jay3 is 90 miles to  Silicon Valley, way down to LA, across to NYC, overseas to London, and then a channel-hop-and-a-skip.  Maybe someone is working on our signal trunks, like the perpetual Freeway repairs?