A memory thing you can do to remember more...

Ol Smoke

I saw this on a TV show and I am surprised how good it works.  This show was about how when we get older we remember very little

of the day to day stuff we did as kids and young people.  It seems that we were 8 years old...then blam! we are 60.  I have trouble

remembering what I did yesterday, but what I did 40 years ago is clear. So I started doing this exercise and I can't believe the 

difference it has made.

When you go to bed at night, before you turn the light off.  Sit up in bed and close your eyes.

Now, start remembering, step by step, what you did all day, beginning with getting out of bed that morning.

Don't let any little thing escape being remembered.  Walk through your day completely.  If there were things you needed to 

remember for tomorrow, remember them now, clearly and distinctly remember your day you have just lived.

Then tomorrow, when you get out of bed and you are eating  breakfast, try to remember yesterday.  You will see a huge difference.

You can recall the whole day clearly.  And those things you needed to remember to do today,  they are vivid in your mind.

How does this work?  At night your brain removes stuff that you haven't thought about again, and then places the other stuff you

did or said into long term memory. But what this exercise does is it makes you remember everything just before this happens.  So

the whole day is written to long term memory.

It is working for me.  Right now, I can sit here and remember yesterday, fully.  I remember days last week.  This doctor who teaches

this says that we have enough memory cells to remember everything, from everyday of our lives for as long as we live, and still only

use up about 20% of our brain's memory area.

Cool heh?  If you start trying this, write your response here and lets see if it works.

• Like 2

I tried, all can remember is opening a bottle of wine, after that its a blank.

But seriously, I once tried to do this member stuff, using word association. It does work, but I got bored with it. Someone smarter and more motivated than me could probably make it work.

I dont remember anything... I walk into a room and forget why I went in there

Sometimes I suddenly remember, most times its lost to me lol

Will give it ago

Hate when that happens :D

Lately i'm just getting some flashbacks from my past, some scenes from my life or even some dreams i saw years ago come up to my mind like lightning from a clear sky.Surely i'm gonna try this little trick right here,just wanna see how well my brain can deal with this s*it. :)

• Clan Friend

I find it interesting because we often live in 'autopilot mode' and we don't really live and remember our lives, that's probably why time seems to pass by so fast sometimes

But I don't want my brain to 'fill' with information I don't really need anymore ( don't know if it's even possible tbh :D )

I don't think our brain can ever be 'full', but since memory is based on repetition and review, when this review would take all our time, then it's as if our brain is full even if we still have memory cells left unused, I guess...

I cannot believe how this is working.  I am remembering things much more clearly now.  When I sit and remember things I did on Monday, they are as clear as if I just did them.

I can remember everything I did up to today from Saturday to now.  This is great.