Trouble with ET sounds.

Kostaja

Situation: All other sounds work fine, just ET is on "mute".

Yesterday evening I played and all was fine but today no sounds in ET. Winamp plays music, other games play sounds. I had to disconnect all my wiring from computer to change the CPU fan, but I don't see how this could affect anything. I did some tuning to my cfg, but today I have tried the unmodified version of that cfg + the ET's original cfg. No help.

ET sounds are on in ET itself and in sound mixer in my Windows 7.

Any ideas?

-Kostaja

I can't hear anything. No hit sounds, no effect sounds, no music in main menu. Also, in sound mixer in windows, i see that green bar flashing in other programs when sound is played, but nothing in ET's volume bar.

E: Other s_ values:

seta s_volume "0.9"
seta s_musicvolume "0"
seta s_separation "0.5"
seta s_doppler "1"
seta s_khz "22"
seta s_mixahead "0.2"
seta s_mixPreStep "0.05"
seta s_defaultsound "0"
seta s_wavonly "0"
seta s_bits "32"
seta s_channels "2"

Check also s_initsound "1"

What does /s_info say in console?

e:

And you could also fire up a map with devmap e.g. /devmap oasis

Then type in console /s_show "1"

If sounds are played by the game they will be shown in console, then your problem is most likely some mixer setting in Windows.

Oh you have set s_bits "32" :P Try s_bits "16"

Edited by S3ti

I´d go with sound drivers reinstallation, also did you put all wires back in correct position? Some wrong position could affect how sound card is working. Check sound settings and the box: disable front panel jack detection: tick it on and off...

Problem is solved.

After I had disconnected all my wiring and put them back, there is a popup menu which lets you choose what type of audiosystem you have connected to the computer. If I choose speakers, ET wont play any sounds. When I reconnected the wiring and chose headphones, all sounds came back. Could this be because I have only 2 small speakers, and ET somehow gets confused because my soundcard supports multichannel audio? Don't know, but I'm sure glad things worked out :)

E: Forgot the most important: Thanks everybody for all your help :)

No I didn't do that. Just went straight to gaming :) I will try that just to see if it works for me too, that way I will atleast learn how to adjust that if necessary in the future.

Does that front jack detection mute all the sounds coming from the back output or how does it work? I have a vague idea how it might work in some situations, but for me this was a very specific problem with only ET being the problematic program.

ps. Vacation started and writing this while destroying my hangover with some booze, so bear with me if I'm not so clear in my thoughts :yahoo

"disable front panel jack detection" I have no idea what it does or how it works, if you have sound output in front panel besides on backpanel from mobo then I guess it should disable front panel detection. But so far I´ve only noticed it mutes some sounds and sometimes it makes things working, in random order:P