Killed through walls

Apocalypse

I am often killed through walls or solid objects. It looks the last bullets get me through the wall. In my opinion there is a problem of time difference / lag. Does it happen to other players ? Is it normal ?

I tried to play with the fire wall and the anti virus off but that changed nothing.

When you are killed, the screen view normally points you the view location of who killed you. How did you say that you were killed thru wall? Is it that you've been shot outside room and you died inside room? Maybe you have a demo so we can understand better?

It is also advisable to disable antivirus when in game mode, as it somehow frees up more CPU resources atleast when gaming

I am often killed through walls or solid objects. It looks the last bullets get me through the wall. In my opinion there is a problem of time difference / lag. Does it happen to other players ? Is it normal ?

I tried to play with the fire wall and the anti virus off but that changed nothing.

yes it happens. some people always think that they were killed behind a wall, but on the killer's view, you are still visible. lag is one reason. turning off firewall/antivirus isn't all that. there are other things to consider, like your internet (crappy or not?), pc etc..

If I am understanding what your talking about I experience the same thing occasionally.

I will be fighting someone and I run around the corner where I think I am safe, but I still manage to get hit and die :P

I believe this is caused due to the varying ping differences of the players.

If this is not what you are talking about then Pinoy is right and we would probably need a demo :)

• Clan Friend

It happens especially in servers where players have a high ping. As you said, it doesn't happen often enough to get a demo (so it's not a big deal), and it's normal, so making a demo is not necessary. It happens to you and to me, and everyone.

It can happen for a combination of 2 reasons:

1. your ping is high -> client prediction

In the game there are 2 simulations, one in the client (what you see), one in the server (this is the 'real' game').

When you move, the simulation in the client makes you move at once (as if you played in lan), but in the server you haven't moved yet, till your command reaches the server, so you might believe you are behind the corner when you're not in reality.

2. your enemy's ping is high -> antilag

With antilag, you can aim at players where you see them, but a high pinger sees you in a position you don't have anymore, he sees you and shoots, then when the message reaches the server maybe you have moved behind the corner, but the server registers the hit, because he aimed at you when you were still visible for him.

In both cases you would still die even if all players played in lan, so it seems fair enough to me.

(Even if I remember years ago I had an argument vs a skilled etpro player about antilag, and he insisted in saying this is important, implying that I was too low to understand the impact in skilled vs skilled games)

• Like 2

There's also the fact that ET has quite large hitboxes (depending on the mod), so while you may be visually hidden, your hitbox might be sticking out a bit and taking some hits (or letting somebody get those last couple hits in as you run behind some cover).

• Like 1

• Clan Friend

to make the game *almost* fair,

players bullets should register even when the player was already killed by a player with lower ping,

and they should remove bullet knockback, or at least allow the client to send his predicted position to the server, to remove prediction errors when it comes to hit detection

or maybe even make hit detection client side, anyway cheaters will always cheat, at least players would really hit what they see.

but then it could be possible for both to kill each other, and those lpb who already cry about getting hit behind the corner would cry even more... :rolleyes: