steady ping but unstable fps

PiaNist

i need the pro's help....it only started recently. it was never like this before. i have good ping whenever i play ET but my fps is unstable especially when i move. if i stop moving, fps stabilizes at 125 but when i started moving, it fluctuates.  what could be causing this problem?

Any changes on your system recently?

My first guess would be to update video card drivers. If you recently updated them, possibly check video card settings. If no settings have changed, you might want to roll back the driver to the previous version.

• Leader

Windows and other Update Services have been known to offer-to-update or auto-update slightly wrong drivers.  I never allow auto-updates in the background from any source.

if Nvidia graphics

go in the config window if your driver

- 3d settings

=> select w:et

=> disable thread optimalization

=> SAVE

- try again, problem should be fixed

=> had exact the same problem when I switched from AMD to nVidia graphics and searched for hours for an answer :P

EDIT: ow wait, I had exact the opposite problem. Stable fps but unstable ping. You can still try it but I guess it won't work => sorry

Edited by DrJoske

Any changes on your system recently?

My first guess would be to update video card drivers. If you recently updated them, possibly check video card settings. If no settings have changed, you might want to roll back the driver to the previous version.

yeah, Nvidia recently auto-updated my driver..my settings weren't changed. i'll try to roll back to previous driver. tnx! i'm running full virus scan also in case of malware

Windows and other Update Services have been known to offer-to-update or auto-update slightly wrong drivers.  I never allow auto-updates in the background from any source.

i have disabled auto update. when this Nvidia driver update pops out, i have allowed it to update my driver without thinking it could do bad -_-

if Nvidia graphics

- 3d settings

=> SAVE

=> had exact the same problem when I switched from AMD to nVidia graphics and searched for hours for an answer :P

EDIT: ow wait, I had exact the opposite problem. Stable fps but unstable ping. You can still try it but I guess it won't work => sorry

my thread optimization was always turned OFF, so it didn;t work :P

• Clan Friend

If you move only your mouse fps goes down? What do you mean exaclty by 'when I move', the game sends a command every time you move your mouse for example, so I was thinking maybe could be that

If you move only your mouse fps goes down? What do you mean exaclty by 'when I move', the game sends a command every time you move your mouse for example, so I was thinking maybe could be that

when i practically move in game (WASD, mouse)..if i stop moving (no WASD/mouse activity), my fps stabilizes at 125

crap, i was so desperate i've reformatted my laptop. now my fps is stable in NQ servers, but not in silent & hardcore, still same shit. i'll try glyphz advice.

Do you only experience this in ET? Also, if it happens still after a complete reformat, did you copy your entire etmain folder and everything? Maybe try reinstalling ET and just put the key maps and your cfg in and see what happens. ET sometimes does weird things to me when there is too much stuff in the folder. 

Do you only experience this in ET? Also, if it happens still after a complete reformat, did you copy your entire etmain folder and everything? Maybe try reinstalling ET and just put the key maps and your cfg in and see what happens. ET sometimes does weird things to me when there is too much stuff in the folder. 

yeah, what you said is true :)....did just that & everything is back to normal again. case solved. thanks guys!

• 2 weeks later...

if Nvidia graphics

- 3d settings

=> SAVE

I'm having the same problem, and I cannot find where to enable/disable the 3d... I can open the nvidia graphics, but can't find the control panel or whatever to fix it...