Bugged Console

Foreigner

My ET has been having a problem lately that's kind of annoying, so if anyone could help me, I'd appreciate it.

The console is the most annoying problem. It either displays with most of the text missing (screenshot attached) or doesn't display at all. However, I can still type commands and they work. The other problem is that sometimes when I open the menu, only parts of it display (screenshot attached), and I'm unable to use the settings.

So far, I've only seen this happen on Silent mod, but usually I only play on Silent and ETPro, so it might happen in other mods.

Steps I've taken to remedy this:

Vid_restart

Reinstall ET (which worked for a short time)

Delete demos/stats/screenshots from the silent folder

Clean up unused .pk3 files

If anyone has any suggestions, I'd greatly appreciate it :)

post-11049-0-15555700-1360084976_thumb.jpg

post-11049-0-33483400-1360085306_thumb.jpg

post-11049-0-28689800-1360085326_thumb.jpg

the last time this happened to me was when i had a problem with my mouse. my mouse was defective & had it replaced then problem gone. though i'm not really sure what's the connection between this bugged & mouse but it worked for me.

Or try \vid_restart if that continues try fresh install on diff folder and test if that continues. If continues then there is someting wrong with graphics card/driver. Specially if console has worked before, then just try to update GPU driver.

Masa_1964

Open console and type \clear in it.. I don't remember exact command so it could be wrong also. It's been years I have played ET

Tried /clear and the bug is still present.

Or try \vid_restart if that continues try fresh install on diff folder and test if that continues. If continues then there is someting wrong with graphics card/driver. Specially if console has worked before, then just try to update GPU driver.

Masa_1964

vid_restart doesn't help. I've reinstalled it before in a different folder (currently running from a folder called 'Public ET', which has all my pub settings, while I got this error before in the folder 'Enemy Territory'. I've been running this GPU for about 4 years now, and I've never had any problems with it until this year (on silent mod), and I have the final driver release installed, as they no longer update it.

the last time this happened to me was when i had a problem with my mouse. my mouse was defective & had it replaced then problem gone. though i'm not really sure what's the connection between this bugged & mouse but it worked for me.

I've had this through two mice, actually, one was a laptop mouse that I used for about a year, then a few months ago I switched to a Logitech G400. I've had the problems with both mice.

Thanks for trying, but no solution yet -- anyone else care to take a crack at it?

• Clan Friend

It looks like a graphics card driver problem or something like that, weird that it happnes only on silent mod...

The console is drawn by the engine, so it should be in all mods.

And it's weird that reinstalling ET fixed it only for a short time. Weird, both the fact that it fixed it (because reinstalling generally doesn't fix this kind of problems) and that it didn't last. Unless it's a config problem with some setting I don't know.

Have you tried to play in window mode (r_fullscreen 0) to see if it still happens? That could give some clues.

And it's weird that reinstalling ET fixed it only for a short time. Weird, both the fact that it fixed it (because reinstalling generally doesn't fix this kind of problems) and that it didn't last. Unless it's a config problem with some setting I don't know.

My thought was maybe I'm not allowing enough memory in something, so it's cutting those to save resources, while in ETPro, the maps don't last as long and there isn't as much information to process, so it wouldn't have that issue. Also, something strange that I noticed is when I am speccing a player waiting for respawn, it won't show the console at all, even if it displays part of it while I'm actually playing.

I'll try windowed mode the next time it happens.

I'll try windowed mode the next time it happens.

Well, this did the trick -- what does that tell you? Playing in windowed mode is more annoying than the console bug itself, so hopefully there's a solution.

• Clan Friend

What happens if you open the console fullscreen (holding alt) or small console (holding ctrl)? Still one line of text?

Honestly I have no idea... you could try changing some settings for your gfx card (related to textures, etc.)

/meminfo
/condump memory.txt

Would tell you how much memory you use. But I don't think it's related... if the game ran out of memory it would probably shutdown.

Do you use anything which could interfere with the game memory? Xfire, or stuff like that?

What happens if you open the console fullscreen (holding alt) or small console (holding ctrl)? Still one line of text?

Honestly I have no idea... you could try changing some settings for your gfx card (related to textures, etc.)

/meminfo
/condump memory.txt

Would tell you how much memory you use. But I don't think it's related... if the game ran out of memory it would probably shutdown.

Do you use anything which could interfere with the game memory? Xfire, or stuff like that?

The fullscreen console still displays the same thing. As for what I use, I usually have iTunes, mIRC, and xfire booted up. However, I've had all three of those off separately, and I always have them open in ETPro without this error as well. I'll try condump the next time I get the error.

EDIT: I was told it could have something to do with the fact that I use bilinear textures. Does that sound plausible?

Edited by Foreigner

related to graphics card I think

Check your graphic card settings ?

Try deleting hunkusage.dat

and go into etmain and find a file called etconsole - if you have it - and delete it

after that use the Auto pk3 cleaner 7.0

load the game and see if it continues . . .

Oh yeah please list your

Your OS

Memory

graphics card

Mouse

Hunkmegs ingame

• Clan Friend

EDIT: I was told it could have something to do with the fact that I use bilinear textures. Does that sound plausible?

It could be related to textures, but I don't know why it should display only 1 line in your console and not the rest...

If you slow the console down with, for example, /scr_conspeed 1, you see only 1 line even while it opens?

p.s.

you can try with a default etconfig with deafult r_ cvars and see what happens, but if the bug is random testing will be harder.