Fingertool Search Text Tool - Enemy Territory Software

PiNoY

File Name: Fingertool Search Text Tool

File Submitter: PiNoY

File Submitted: 11 Oct 2012

File Category: Software

W:ET Finger Search Tool is a simple windows-based software which provides a little convenience and ability for a quick search of strings from your collection of text files inside or outside Enemy Territory. Can be used to search for specific search string from files produced by !finger command and !baninfo command.

This finger search tool searches a non-case-sensitive match of strings such as GUID, MAC address, IP Address, and player names from any type of files of current working directory. Basically any particular "search" string can be used as the basis to search your collection of W:ET finger text files.

Once the search string is found from those text files, this software will simply display all text files that has a matching search string inside or outside ET. You may then proceed to open those files using Notepad and Wordpad for your further use.

To Install:

Download and copy the software into W:ET folder.

NOTE: May require Administrator access when launched.

WARNING:

The software is at it is, no warranty or guarantee that the software would work for your or even implied warranty and/or guarantee to meet your expectations. The software is not designed to be an alternative to what software you are currently using nor even replace any software that you are using. The software is not designed to change the method of your searching text files. Software comes AS IT IS! If you are not interested to use the software, do not download the file then.

Click here to download this file

• Like 8

• Leader

My thinking was not so much "to open those files inside Fingertool", but to use Windows functions to open the found file using the Windows File Extension Associations, like clicking on a *.rtf file to open an associated editor and automatically load the clicked-on file.

I am visualizing clicking on a found file inside the Fingertool 'found files' window and FingerTool would call the specific windows function that opens the text file in the associated Editor, outside of Fingertool.

Hopefully, the windows function that does this when we click on a file in the Windows file Explorer is available to .NET.

The user could do any work in the external editor and then return to the still-open Fingertool to select the next found file to open externally.

Although...I guess you'd better try to avoid 'feature creep', the bane of any programmer that wants to finish a project! :)

Thanks again.

• Like 1

By default on Win7, *.TXT files are associated with Notepad. And we all know Notepad parses finger text files with misaligned visual format and without word-wrap enabled. To fix this, those finger text file must be opened using Wordpad instead of Notepad (which can be tweaked by Open With). Also by default, Notepad and Wordpad are both included on Win7 afaik.

One minor challenge we would have there, is that this auto-open Wordpad feature must not be done automatically considering the fact that by random idiocy, search string might be existing from 1000 finger text files. Then this feature would then open 1000 finger text files automatically probably leading to disrupted system operation. :(

Another challenge is that Wordpad does not recognized long folder names such as C:\Program Files\Wofensitein\Enem Territory\ etc etc ... not like Notepad , which turned out to be weird for me since Notepad was born first before Wordpad. Probably I may need to rewrite that part.

Doable if that is the question :P Will attempt and could be included on future release. Im not a programmer by default but hey appreciate the feedback and suggestion :)

I don't find the lack of newlines/hardreturns in notepad inconvenient any more.. I just CTRL+F to find "!finger" and then copy + paste onto forums, and the forum WYSIWYG editor actually takes it properly (for me at least).. Plus I've worked with so many whitespace-stripped files of programming that I sort 'adapted' to reading gobbledygook.

BUT - good job on making this program :) And I'm sure I speak for everyone when I say THANK YOU for making something to make admining easier for the clan (and others too!) - great work my friend :)

I really want to start making desktop applications myself.. I've only ever dabbled in Visual Basic (yuck) as a compulsory project for a Computer Science course I began a while back - but VB was so dull that I quit rather than spend a whole year doing VB xD

Anyway.. back on topic, kudos to you Pinoy. <3

Edited by Chuckun
  • Like 1

When you do /condump [name] and you forgot the .txt (or just dont bother as I do) you can simply open it with notepad later too, however I'm not sure if it will search in files without extension.

Can you test it?

• Like 1

When you do /condump [name] and you forgot the .txt (or just dont bother as I do) you can simply open it with notepad later too, however I'm not sure if it will search in files without extension.

Can you test it?

I have uploaded the latest build for approval and the tool can now search in all files under the current working directory including EXE, RTF, DLL or TXT files.

• Like 1

• Leader

... is that this auto-open Wordpad feature must not be done automatically considering the fact that by random idiocy, search string might be existing from 1000 finger text files. Then this feature would then open 1000 finger text files automatically probably leading to disrupted system operation. :(

Another challenge is that Wordpad does not recognized long folder names such as C:\Program Files\Wofensitein\Enem Territory\ etc etc ... not like Notepad , which turned out to be weird for me since Notepad was born first before Wordpad. ...

My thinking was that a user could click on a single file name dispayed in Fingertool and only that file would be opened, somehow using Windows FileType Associations feature to use whatever editor the user had previously associated with that certain extension.

That is, clicking a *.txt file would start Notepad, an *.rtf would start Wordpad and maybe a *.doc would open Word or whatever the user had told Windows they prefer.

=====

"...does not recognized long folder names such as..." ouch! I have ET installed in 'c:\program files\...' on this computer, so my path to the raw data files is fairly short. The problem is that I do actual FA work and editing in a folder with a much longer path, something like:

"C:\Users\RedBaird\Documents\Data-Commons\Games\Wolf ET\clan-FA\...\ [Various Subfolders]".

So, hmmm!

==========

Light said it all! :thanks

=========

Chuckcun said: "...then copy + paste onto forums, and the forum WYSIWYG editor actually takes it properly (for me at least).." I noticed that too, when I tried to copy & paste the mess from Notepad to a message to Pinoy to demonstrate what i saw. The irony is that the I had to edit the now nice-looking lines to mess them back up to properly show what Notepad had displayed to me! :)

I can't download... maybe it's being updated or something?

I am not sure why is that, maybe forum access? Coz just now I tried the dload link from here and it worked at least from my forum access. Though the latest update is for approval yet, I think that's the reason.

My thinking was that a user could click on a single file name dispayed in Fingertool and only that file would be opened, somehow using Windows FileType Associations feature to use whatever editor the user had previously associated with that certain extension.

That is, clicking a *.txt file would start Notepad, an *.rtf would start Wordpad and maybe a *.doc would open Word or whatever the user had told Windows they prefer.

On weekend, maybe I could work on that feature. All feedbacks and suggestions are ofcourse welcome. :)

• Leader

I can't download... maybe it's being updated or something?

I am not sure why is that, maybe forum access? Coz just now I tried the dload link from here and it worked at least from my forum access. Though the latest update is for approval yet, I think that's the reason.

Same for me, 5 yours after Sunlight's post. I get a

Sorry, you don't have permission for that!

at fearless-assassins.com/files/download/771-fingertool-enemy-territory-software/

Maybe Pinoy has special access rights because he is the uploader.

I don't want to sound like a **** or run down your work, but what's the difference between Fingertool and Windows Explorer (particularly its search function)? They have the same features, including the ability to open files with a double-click and Explorer even displays a brief preview of the content.

screen-shot-2012-10-17-at-23-12-16.png

• Like 1

Well this is no different from when you find yourself buying your own favorite pizza than somebody else buys your favorite pizza for you and enjoy that together :) the answer lies between the lines I guess.

Ok, one for example, in due time one can simply embed FA Google Ads on that GUI so that every time gamers use the software, it adds a little number to ads served by FA Google ID. Maybe another example is that, the more end users of software made by FA becomes popular, the more impact and attraction it creates to gaming community and for them to come visit FA website then possibly join FA gaming community. Also the fingertool doesnt require initial windows-indexing mechanism for faster search not like windows explorer.

It's a bit idealistic and technical but bottom line is re-inventing the wheel sometimes has its own fair revolutionized custom benefits to some if not the most. :)

EDIT: just wanted to say that the latest version at my end can now do multiple and parallel search at a time unlike windows-explorer

Edited by PiNoY