Quitting smoking

castlin

Forget all these nicotinegums and plasters,forget acupuncture,forget the system where you are going to smoke less and less cigarettes every day,that's a lot of crap,you'r just lying to yourself like that,seen many of my friends trying that bulls*it,noone ever succeeded.Do like i did,just say no on one day,it's all about willpower if you really wan't to quit,if you'r just looking for a little pause then you can try all this crap above.

• Like 3

Read the book 'the only way to stop smoking permanently' by Allen Carr.. Ive seen people who smoked for 40 years fail miserably with everything else.. With this book though, literally everyone I know who has read it properly has stopped and never looked back..

Might sound crazy but I swear to you it works if you wan it to. Will power alone is not enough.. This guy has like a 98% success rate or something.. Will power has something like 12%.

• Like 1

Of course there are things that can help, chew gum often helps, all other things do not have much effect if the person really does not want to quit. Is propose one day quit and willpower, as most goals we set in life.

..Might sound crazy but I swear to you it works if you wan it to. Will power alone is not enough.. This guy has like a 98% success rate or something.. Will power has something like 12%.

don't mean to disagree with ya chuck but personally, i'm not sure that willpower is that low. quitting cold turkey, maybe. but half the battle is truly wanting to quit. just quitting because its too expensive lately or inconvenient won't last. mentally getting to that level where 'this is it, i'm quitting' takes a ton of willpower and determination. relying on patches, hypnosis, acupuncture, gum or whatever you chose is regarded as a tool to 'help' you succeed. like a crutch, they will help you.

in the end, if you truly don't want to quit deep down, and you try other methods like those above, you might as well continue to puff your lungs out. like anything in life, if you put your mind to it...

don't mean to disagree with ya chuck but personally, i'm not sure that willpower is that low. quitting cold turkey, maybe. but half the battle is truly wanting to quit. just quitting because its too expensive lately or inconvenient won't last. mentally getting to that level where 'this is it, i'm quitting' takes a ton of willpower and determination. relying on patches, hypnosis, acupuncture, gum or whatever you chose is regarded as a tool to 'help' you succeed. like a crutch, they will help you.

in the end, if you truly don't want to quit deep down, and you try other methods like those above, you might as well continue to puff your lungs out. like anything in life, if you put your mind to it...

Of course you need the right mindset, but I was talking about people who tell themselves 'NO!' when they start craving a cigarette.. If you outright didnt want them at all you wouldn't crave them.. Nicotine in the quantity you will find in cigarettes isn't actually very physically addictive.. only mentally..

But just to prove what I was saying.. Here's some statistics, courtesy of the American Cancer Society

Percentage of smokers who want to quit altogether 70%

Percentage of smokers who will try to quit this year 40%

Percentage of smokers who will succeed at quitting smoking on their first time 7%

Percentage of people who will quit smoking cold turkey 3.5%

Percent of people who relapse into smoking while intoxicated with alcohol 50%

So.. 7% + 3.5% succeed, right? that makes 11.5%... 50% of those relapse afterwards.. meaning just 5.5% of people actually stay a non-smoker..

Anyone can use will power to not smoke for a day or so.. Or even weeks.. But if you still crave it at all after the MAXIMUM of 10 days the toxins take to leave your body, then will power is clearly not enough for you :P

The reason willpower isn't enough is because smokers (and infact some non-smokers) are brainwashed.. Why do you start smoking? Two options really.. a) Because you think it's cool, and b ) Because despite how terrible smoking is, everyone's doing it.. So instantly you feel there's some void there.. Like you're missing out on something..

The book just helps un-brainwash you. I highly recommend it considering my indirect experiences with it.

Edited by Chuckun

The book just helps un-brainwash you. I highly recommend it considering my indirect experiences with it.

and thats why you is 'a bearer of wisdom' chuck. +1

I quit cold-turkey about 3 years ago. one of the few that i know that have done so without any help. not easy when your friends smoke or if you have a pint a two.

good luck castlin, and stay focussed on the goal.

Quitting smoking is a good news ...

I can give you some personal advice... You can use the nicotin chewingum, help a lot, especially at the beginning, but you do not abuse ... however you need a lot of willpower .... and then some chupa chups :)

I smoked for about 10 years, more than a pack at day... but one day: " I'll stop to smoke by tomorrow " ... and so was ... ;)

Good luck !

Doc's 3 stages of quitting smoking:

1) Stop buying cigarettes.

2) Bum off of your friends.

3) Friends get sick of you bumming off them and you either lose all your friends, start buying again or stop completely.

I have seen this one, too.

Light up, take one drag and put it out. You'll get tired of buying them or will go broke and can't afford them.

Edited by docwarren
  • Like 2

Read the book 'the only way to stop smoking permanently' by Allen Carr.. Ive seen people who smoked for 40 years fail miserably with everything else.. With this book though, literally everyone I know who has read it properly has stopped and never looked back..

Might sound crazy but I swear to you it works if you wan it to. Will power alone is not enough.. This guy has like a 98% success rate or something.. Will power has something like 12%.

This is a good book. Stay committed and let us know daily that you are smoke free at least for a couple weeks. Will be monitoring the thread.

• Like 1