ET disconnects me from the Internet

Being

Hello,

I have been playing ET online for several years but just recently I can only play for a few minutes and then my connection is broken. I'm not just disconnected from which ever server I was connected to, my internet connection is broken too.

Interestingly, I also have a laptop connected to the same LAN and when my desktop connection breaks the laptop's internet connection is fine. The problem is definitely local to my desktop computer. I'm running Win XP Home SP3. I had thought my ISP was messing about but I think I can rule that out. I can only get my internet connection back by rebooting.

I have run various anti-virus/malware progs. and my system is clean. The same thing happens when Zone Alarm and SpyBot S&D are shut down. I don't use Windows' Firewall.

I have reinstalled and updated PB and run pbsvc but neither made any difference. I have run Process Explorer at the same time as ET (windowed) in the hope that I could spot which process cuts the connection but it didn't reveal anything. Some sort of process logger would probably show what's going on but I can't find one, any suggestions?

Has anyone got any idea what's happening please?

Thanks in advance.

• Administrators

Update router firmware, go to router manufacturers website download latest firmware and follow instructions on how to upgraded it. In my case my router did same exact thing, but my router had an option to auto upgrade and I found that latest firmware was the problem and would drop connection to my desktop after 10 min, laptop was fine, I had to downgrade and disable auto update. Also depending on your router make and model there are modified firmwares out there that get the best out of your router but I dont suggest you use that unless you know what you are doing.

i had issues with zone alarm killing my internet for no reasons during gameplay or just surfing. i know you said you have tried it off but i would try a different firewall all together if you cant get it figured out. Comodo and Online armor are both good ones if you want to try other ones.

The router upgrade didn't work. Ten minutes into the F/A game and the same thing happened. Dammit!

Downloading Comodo now.

Does anyone know of a system monitor that can log every process so that I can see what exactly does the disconnect?

Cheers.

The router upgrade didn't work. Ten minutes into the F/A game and the same thing happened. Dammit!

Downloading Comodo now.

just be ready to teach comodo everything again. all the programs including punkbuster will need to be given clearance or comodo put on learning mode or its equivalent feature

• Administrators

1. On which server it happens?

----

1. Try to remove all firewalls and see how it goes. If it works after removing all firewalls problem is with firewall. If still doesn't work follow 2nd step.

2. Are you sure your network card is working fine? Try to update drivers and see how it goes.

Try pinging server IP for 15-20 mins from your PC from your command line.

ping -t 74.63.64.44

Post the end result of ping after 15-20 mins.

Example:

Ping statistics for 74.63.64.44:
   Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
   Minimum = 84ms, Maximum = 116ms, Average = 95ms

• Administrators

Also check event viewer in administrative tools in control panel, click on system, do that when you lose connection. In netgear routers you can reserve the ip that your router assigns to the comp, also you can manually input that ip in the tcp/ip properties in network connection, if that fails, reset the winsock easy way of doing that is to click start run and type cmd, then in the command prompt type netsh reset winsock cataloge, it will ask you to reboot. One other thing that I would do before doing all this is when the internet connection drops off open comand prompt, and type ipconfig/flushdns then type ipconfig/release and ipconfig/renew. One more question when your internet connection drops off are you able to log into the router interface by entering router ip in the browser (ie. 192.168.0.1 some routers also have 192.168.2.1 or 192.168.1.1). Also change the desktop router port there are 4 I ve seen times when a port can be bad.

Patch to 2.60b and get the windows updates and router firware upgrades.

that should fix it.

Thanks Higgeo,

I reinstalled the 2.60 and 2.60b patches and that fixed it. Phew!