Really bad FPS problems..

Chuckun

For some reason, for the past hour or so, I have had TERRIBLE FPS.

I usually get 125 Stable (Generally I can get 180 on most maps but 125 covers ALL maps so thats what I cap at)

But I'm getting a MAXIMUM of 60FPS right now.. And even looking @ the sky, FPS is dropping right down to 12/13FPS :/ I really dont get what's going on..

I've updated all graphics, run CCleaner, quit all unnecessary processes etc.. I have nothing running that shouldn't be.. I am totally baffled.

No config changes, executed autoexec.cfg to make sure.. Nothing. And threaded optimisation is off..

Anyone got any suggestions? I'm running High Performance power plan, tried using Windows Basic theme etc.. Nothing helps!

Win7 Home Premium

Nvidia GeForce GT525M

Thanks for any help!

Edited by Chuckun

Strange issue, i would like to know, when did this start going on, and did u change anything particular at that moment, as normally ur fps wouldnt drop without any major changes, make sure u check ur rate, fps ratio over ur command, make sure u are execing ur own cfg and if needed do /cvar_restart and exec it again, other than that, application process list is the best solution to check what big programs are running at background that u aren't aware of.

Is that happening at one map only or is the issue going at more maps? Did u try to switch to other server and did u try to go on empty server to see if the issue keep repeating?

I did have that also since January or feb, and trying to solve it many ways, now it seems solved. but it was conclusion of many small things. bios settings was wrong (louvered my speed from 3,6GHz to 2,4) screen was not set high speed input mode, xp registry errors, vid driver, mouse drivers (using win or mouse sw).... I played these settings 4 days and seems working now. Only what I can say is at just look what processes are using time and test connection speed.

Masa_1964

Check for viruses/malware as they can slow down processes as well. Try to remember ANY modifications you did to your computer that may have caused the problem (physical changes; such as a new graphics card, added ram, etc., or a new game; or program as well)

Also make sure that, if you play any other game as well, to see if the other game runs smoothly unlike ET, if this is so then you can rule out physical problems and focus on the things that revolve around the game, maybe run the pk3 cleaner the clan provided as well.

GPU ones should be before 90 F, just fyi.

90° F that's like 33 °C

mine are running at 80 °c stable atm (overclocked them a bit too far, just testing it out how stable it stays ^^)

Had some fps problems to (couldn't get 40fps stable :s), but they magically disappeared. Running again on 125fps XD

Edited by DrJoske

• Administrators

Bad hard drive can also cause FPS drops.

If you experience slow ET start up then it's hard drive.

If you experience fast loading by lag while playing then it would be GPU or CPU over heating.

If you get random lag spikes then either CPU spikes or some processes causing issues by accessing HD or something else.

Try to roll back drivers?

Well lately i have been having a high ping on the server's themselves (120-180) but on my ventrilo it says my ping is around "70" think its the servers on this one.

• Clan Friend

you can't get past 60? is that by chance your monitor's refresh rate? maybe some vsync issue.... r_swapinterval is 0? is vsync disabled in your gfx card's control panel?

even if you didn't change your config, I would still try a default one and see, since I don't know if you have *all* cvars in your autoexec

Temperatures are fine, hard drive SMART test passes, process list is clean, nothing open other than ET (usually I can have 9million tabs in firefox open and still get 125FPS) and nothing updated to cause the issues - I manually update EVERYTHING to prevent unexpected problems such as these.

Also no viruses or anything.. I ran a complete scan yesterday.

The ONLY thing that changed on my computer is I downloaded that 1944 Huertgen Final2 map from HC (which reportedly causes major FPS drops - and did for me too).. It was fine for a couple of maps after that though, but then it got voted again, my FPS dropped like hell, and got stuck that way... I deleted that map and it made no difference.

I will try a vanilla cfg and see what happens.

Well that's weird.. Everything is fine today :/ I didnt even shut-down my laptop so there's literally no explanation for why it was bad yesterday but fine today.. My internet wasn't SO slow that it couldn't give me better FPS.. :/ So weird!