Gabe Newell: Windows 8 a "Catastrophe"

SuperTaz

http://kotaku.com/5929067/gabe-newell-wants-to-support-linux-because-windows-8-is-a-catastrophe

The head of Valve says his company is working to develop for Linux, calling Microsoft's Windows 8 a "catastrophe" that will lead product manufacturers to abandon the platform.

"The big problem that is holding back Linux is games. People don't realize how critical games are in driving consumer purchasing behavior," Newell said, according to AllThingsD. "We want to make it as easy as possible for the 2,500 games on Steam to run on Linux as well. It's a hedging strategy. I think Windows 8 is a catastrophe for everyone in the PC space. I think we'll lose some of the top-tier PC/OEMs, who will exit the market. I think margins will be destroyed for a bunch of people. If that's true, then it will be good to have alternatives to hedge against that eventuality."

I bet my savings account that this mans predictions will not come to pass; at least not just because he thinks Windows 8 sucks. I see this as something that still has a few years before we see it happen. Most consumers will not buy a PC with Linux, because most people are not familiar with it. It would be nice to see someone give MS a run for their money, and to give them a reason to refine their product.

^^ MS is refining their product, the problem is that people are afraid for changes. Hence why people stick to WinXP and stuff.

Anyway, the main problem with Gabe's statement is that he doesn't precisely say why it is a catastrophe. Same with Blizzards statement: https://twitter.com/Rob_Pardo/status/228235190705729536, tell us what is wrong, not that it is wrong.

I'm with Gabe...the day linux runs my games is the day I uninstall windows completely. Yesterday I was trying to delete some file and windows was refusing to do it. Tried taking ownership, fixing permissions and everything I could think of. Spent almost 30 minutes. Nothing doing.

Switched into linux and it took me 3 seconds to delete it. Go figure.

I'm not sure about Win 8, the problem with it is that its a totally new interface and its hard as heck to figure out. I uninstalled the win 8 final beta(?) after 1.5 days as it was just so frustrating trying to get anything done. Unfortunately the same thing was said about every new OS ever made.

I don't look forward to the time that I am forced to upgrade. Be it for a game or that Win XP is obsolete.

Yes and someone always says MS is gonna lose an OEM Manufacturers. I just hope MS maked the final interface just a little more recognizable to people that have used their products before, so its not such a harsh learning curve.

I'm with Gabe...the day linux runs my games is the day I uninstall windows completely. Yesterday I was trying to delete some file and windows was refusing to do it. Tried taking ownership, fixing permissions and everything I could think of. Spent almost 30 minutes. Nothing doing.

Switched into linux and it took me 3 seconds to delete it. Go figure.

Could have entered safe mode it would have been a 3 sec job too

Edited by Waster

point is I shouldn't have to enter a special mode...windows is too bent on protecting people for my taste

• Like 1

all I've heard of windows 8 so far is that it's awful, but I'm sure people need to take a closer look at it? Windows 7 is great, so windows 8 (hopefully) is better. Linux on the other hand I have only seen a couple of times, but I assume it runs well.

Well, I can use windows 8, just don't like the fullscreen menu. Some changes in windows 8 are really nice (reboot time, taskmanager,...). Just that annoying fullscreen menu not so much XD. Not that I ever use the menu anyway (windows flag + start typing is way faster).

It just why the heck do we need a fullscreen menu on a desktop :o Yeah, I know 'metro' ,they abandoned the name btw I read today, is more than only a menu, I just don't need it. Give me an option to disable it :|

Anyway I already switched to linux on laptop and if their are more games on I will also switch on desktop.