Opinion on downloading music?

Dddrgn

What is your opinion on this, because I know quite a few people refuse to download music for free, they will only buy their music on itunes. Do you think that it is right that it is technically illegal to download music for free? Personally I think that the creators of the music should earn money for their work, but I also find it to be very convenient to just convert youtube videos to mp3 files. I used to buy my music until I learned I could do it free.

Well in the netherlands it's totally legal to do so (movies and music that is, not software!), in Belgium it's semi-legal. There is a gray zone, it's legal when you copy from within your private atmosphere (makes it's semi-legal, because what's 'private atmosphere').

To be honest I would never buy a download, if I would buy music it has to be a cd. The problem I have with that : not willing to pay 25 euro for it (got like 15 cd from metal bands which I payed @ max 12 euro). The most money I spend are on merchandise (bandshirts, flags, belts,...) and concerts/festivals I guess.

+ There are other alternatives: youtube playlists, spotify, ...

I usually download old underground stuff thats almost impossible to find. If i purchase anything i like to go to used CD/Record stores, $5-10 a CD with the possibility of finding something rare.

• Like 1

I started wondering What would I do without some yummy Waffles?

Probably pay for spotify ;)

My brother downloaded napster on our computer when it was new and i got songs from that and maybe something called kazaa for a few years, but after people started getting sued I took it off and never put it back on. When I had a job I bought all my music off itunes. Now that I dont have a job I don't buy or download any songs I just go to youtube lol.

Depends. I have some music that I like so much that I bought a record player so I could listen to the vinyls. Most of the bands I downloaded their discography before I paid for anything. Unfortunately iTunes does have music I have a hard time finding elswhere :<

Yeah. I hate that it's such a gray area. Heck, when I started downloading music I had no idea that It was technically illegal (except for the fan made music i download).

My motto: why pay if you can get something for free without getting the cops after you :P

Same with me. I never bought any music as far as I can remember.

Creators of music should indeed get some money. They spend so good amount in making music : studio recording , sound mixing , copyrights, promotion, publishing etc. But I think even if piracy exists they earn profits. If they would have not earned they would never release another album/music...

Some independent artists have also released their music for free...

I pay for music when I have a job :P. Back in high school I used to just copy/paste my friend's music. So far in college I haven't rlly downloaded music for free. But while I had a job I bought some songs.

Also back in Highschool, I used to torrent games as well, BUT I got sick of all the cracks and when they would mess up. Also only single player worked usually. Anyways, I got sick of it, so now I just save up and buy them. Any game that I downloaded illegally back then has been deleted.

What is Itunes? Amazon digital DL?

If I had access on them would buy my favourite songs and shows for reasonable price. Atm its youtube for music and movies\shows get from other sources.

I've been collecting free music for about 12 yrs on the internet, actually I'm lost when I open my external hard drives now to see what I have, my family uses them more than I do.

All of my 8 Tracks, cassette tape, vinyl, reel to reel, are stored now on my putor.

Never have enough music, lol.