Windows firewall open ports

G!NG3R420

Windows 7

So far from what I have found is,

"Start > Control panel > systems and security > Windows Firewall > Advanced Settings"

From there I had to input new rules for the firewall and allow inbound and outbound rules to allow communication through ports "27666" "27960"

I am not sure if this is correct or not, or if I should classify more rules for other ports, or perhaps this is completley wrong. Can anyone with more specific knowledge of windows 7 or just have done this before verify if what I have done is correct or not? I still seem to be getting some lag spikes and its annoying because I know that it has something to do with the firewall settings.

• Administrators

Open the ports in your router.

Also check the MTU settings and see the packets don't get fragmented. Normally 80% of network issues come from router. Windows firewall will not do much. Either it will allow connection or it will not. I assume you are not doing packet filtering on u PC so u don't need to worry about "Windows Firewall" much.

Sometimes anti virus firewall / scanns can cause issue and add lag because they go active in auto scan while u are playing and that pretty much spikes up HD and CPU usage.

Windows 7

So far from what I have found is,

"Start > Control panel > systems and security > Windows Firewall > Advanced Settings"

From there I had to input new rules for the firewall and allow inbound and outbound rules to allow communication through ports "27666" "27960"

I am not sure if this is correct or not, or if I should classify more rules for other ports, or perhaps this is completley wrong. Can anyone with more specific knowledge of windows 7 or just have done this before verify if what I have done is correct or not? I still seem to be getting some lag spikes and its annoying because I know that it has something to do with the firewall settings.

that was a good way to do it but don't create a new rule for a new port but or a new application (same setup) . Don't forget to setthe rule to allow it , not block it.

wireless or cat5?

not sure what cat5 is but its connected by wire.

that was a good way to do it but don't create a new rule for a new port but or a new application (same setup) . Don't forget to setthe rule to allow it , not block it.

Explain better please? I need to make a new application rule?

I think what he said was do what you did (create a rule) but not for a port, rather make a rule for an application?

And make sure the rule ALLOWS not blocks ;)

Edited by parrot
  • Like 1

Yes thanks parrot. In the same setup you found to create a new rule to a port at the second step (I believe) they ask you if the rile has to be for a port or a particular application.select aplication and point it to ET.exe

• Administrators

I have a new computer, and on the old one I never had the lag spikes. Still using same router.

What kind of lag spikes u get? Also check u GPU settings. I believe it has something to do with GFX settings too.

@Firewall: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/open-a-port-in-windows-firewall

Instead of port select application.

What kind of lag spikes u get? Also check u GPU settings. I believe it has something to do with GFX settings too.

on bottom of lag meter, the green lag spikes also the yellow lag spikes. Green lag spikes just jump me around the screen, and the yellow freezes me in place if that makes sense.

@GPU settings, how do I check those and what exactly am I looking for?