Mac OS X: CoD4 Demo Management

Krauersaut

If you ever tried to record and view a demo on Mac OS X, you will have stumbled across the phenomenon that you can't view the demo you just recorded. This little workflow is going to show you how to efficiently manage your CoD4 demos, based on a cheater with the name Player123.

Recording Demos

The best practice to find demos of a cheater you recorded is to name the demo files after him, i.e. the demo of this cheater should be named player123.dm_1. To record a demo, join the Spectator team and follow the suspected player. Then open your console and execute the following command: /record player123

gallery_1846_136_32069.png

To open your console, you will have to activate it first. Go to your game's Options and set Enable Console to Yes. You can then open it by pressing the tilde key (~).

gallery_1846_136_169742.png

Once you executed the /record command, the game will start recording your screen to the file you specified and indicate the size of the demo in the lower left corner of the screen.

gallery_1846_136_4890.png

When you finished recording and got all the proof you needed, stop it by executing /stoprecord.

gallery_1846_136_3882.png

Viewing Demos

To view the demo you just recorded, run /demo player123. The problem is that this will return the error message "demos/player123.dm_1 not found.".

gallery_1846_136_6645.png

For some reason demos can only be viewed in the ModWarfare mod. By default, your recorded demos will be stored in:

• [Retail Version] /Applications/Call of Duty 4/Call of Duty 4 Data/main/demos/
  • [Mac App Store Version] /Users/USERNAME/Library/Application Support/Call of Duty 4/main/demos/
gallery_1846_136_16602.png

In order to be able to view them, you have to copy them to the demos folder in your ModWarfare folder. If the folder doesn't exist yet, simply create it.

• [Retail Version] /Applications/Call of Duty 4/Call of Duty 4 Data/Mods/ModWarfare/demos/
  • [Mac App Store Version] /Users/USERNAME/Library/Application Support/Call of Duty 4/Mods/ModWarfare/demos/
gallery_1846_136_28247.png

Then start the game and click on Mods. Select ModWarfare and hit Launch.

gallery_1846_136_25557.png

In the ModWarfare screen, open the console and execute /demo player123.

gallery_1846_136_5566.png

Tips

Copying each demo before being able to view it can be a pain. To skip that step, you could create a symbolic link from the ModWarfare demo folder to the main demo folder. Open your Terminal and execute the following command (the upper one for the retail version, the lower one for the Mac App Store version):

ln -s /Applications/Call\ of\ Duty\ 4/Call\ of\ Duty\ 4\ Data/main/demos/ /Applications/Call\ of\ Duty\ 4/Call\ of\ Duty\ 4\ Data/Mods/ModWarfare/demos
ln -s /Users/USERNAME/Library/Application\ Support/Call\ of\ Duty\ 4/main/demos/ /Users/USERNAME/Library/Application\ Support/Call\ of\ Duty\ 4/Mods/ModWarfare/demos
gallery_1846_136_10349.png

If you followed the tutorial and created the demos folder in the ModWarfare folder, you will get an error saying "File exists". Simply remove the folder and re-execute the command (the upper one for the retail version, the lower one for the Mac App Store version):

rm -R /Applications/Call\ of\ Duty\ 4/Call\ of\ Duty\ 4\ Data/Mods/ModWarfare/demos
ln -s /Applications/Call\ of\ Duty\ 4/Call\ of\ Duty\ 4\ Data/main/demos/ /Applications/Call\ of\ Duty\ 4/Call\ of\ Duty\ 4\ Data/Mods/ModWarfare/demos
rm -R /Users/USERNAME/Library/Application\ Support/Call\ of\ Duty\ 4/Mods/ModWarfare/demos
ln -s /Users/USERNAME/Library/Application\ Support/Call\ of\ Duty\ 4/main/demos/ /Users/USERNAME/Library/Application\ Support/Call\ of\ Duty\ 4/Mods/ModWarfare/demos
gallery_1846_136_25807.png

Hints

The Library folder in your user folder is hidden by default. To access it, click on Go, hold down the Alt-Key and click on Library.

gallery_1846_136_106739.jpg

Edited by Fearless Staff
  • Like 1

• 5 months later...

Whenever I view a demo, I can't get out of it. I have to either quit the program or just wait for it to end. My understanding is that I should be able to hit Escape and return to the menu, however, whenever I hit it, the only thing it does is slightly flash the text at the bottom right a little darker for a split second. Any suggestions? Is there a console command I can put in to end the viewing session of the demo?

Thanks

• 1 year later...