ajnl

I searched around the forums in space/science and technology and was surprised no one has talked about these two space craft which are being developed to bring people into space. There are more of course, but I think these two are viable options which will be available very soon. These two companies are making these spacecraft specifically for bring people (like you and me) into space.

The first one I will talk about, which is also my favorite is Lynx. Link 1; Link 2

This spacecraft will be able to take off and land at any major airport. It does not need any extra propulsion, besides its own re-ignitable rockets. Now, anyone who knows about regular rockets knows that they are not re-ignitable. But the difference is that these new rockets use liquid fuel instead of solid fuel (which is what the nasa space shuttle used). This re-ignitable fuel is actually made up of two liquid which mix together. Once they are mixed, you have to use it. It is also very dangerous, but they hope to make it safe and stable.

You can already buy tickets for flights which the Lynx through KLM (and more airlines I am sure), which will cost around 100,000 dollars or euros. This is very cheap compared to what it cost to go to space with the space shuttle. People paid around 25 million to go with Nasa.

The Lynx can take one person and one pilot, including a micro satellite if they wanted to. These micro satellites will launch from the back of the Lynx into orbit, which the Lynx has reached max altitude of 100,000ft. 100,000m (100km) is the agreed upon border between our atmosphere and space. Technically our atmosphere does not end until about half way the moon.

The lynx can take larger macro satellites, but then there can not a passenger.

They hope to take about 4 flights a day with this spacecraft. Initially the Lynx will be flown by ex-nasa astronauts. But they believe that any Air-force jet-fighter pilot could fly the Lynx with proper training.

The other spacecraft is being built by Virgin Galactic. Link 1

They take a different approach by using an aircraft to bring the spacecraft to 21,000m (70,000ft), then launching the spacecraft from the aircraft to 100,000m (100km). This spacecraft will take more people (around 15 last I heard). This spacecraft will use the traditional solid fuel rockets, which means that on re-entry it will glide down to the runway for a landing. Like the nasa space shuttle did.

The tickets for virgin galactic space flights cost around 200,000 dollars or euros and I believe it is possible to buy them now.

The aircraft which takes the spacecraft up needs a much longer runway than any airport has. A specially runway and spaceport: Mojave Air and Space Port

I'm pretty excited about this, can't wait to fly up to space some day :D

• Like 1

It's awesome, but man... $100,000-200,000 for a four and a half minutes in space is outrageous (30 minutes total from take off to landing). I'm thinking for $200.000 you should get an orbit around the moon =) I'd want to spend a day or two up there.

Edited by TulsaGeoff

It's awesome, but man... $100,000-200,000 for a four and a half minutes in space is outrageous (30 minutes total from take off to landing). I'm thinking for $200.000 you should get an orbit around the moon =) I'd want to spend a day or two up there.

To go to the space station with nasa, back when the space shuttle was still active, was around 25 million. That is a huge difference already.

If you take flying with aircraft as an example. When they first started taking passengers it was very expensive as well, probably comparable to 100,000 - 200,000. So only the rich people in society could fly. But in less than 50 years later it was possible for almost anyone to go on a flight, depending on your destination. So I think that within 20 - 30 years, it will be affordable enough for anyone of us to go.

Edited by ajnl

that wouldn't even get close haha.

But it would still be AWESOME! :) make a video when you go dude, I want to see it. Definitely not a waste IMO.

Edited by ajnl

Their are plans for a space elevator to be built by Japan by 2050. Once that is up and running, costs would be very reasonable. NASA website has some info on the idea.

http://science.nasa.gov/science-news/science-at-nasa/2000/ast07sep_1/

Honestly, don't see that happening. How would it with stand the forces/moments and momentum? Also, what happens when the earth tilts a couple degrees?

But it would be awesome

Edited by ajnl

The idea of going into space has been a LONG time dream for me... I get all giddy thinking that I might just be able to in my lifetime!!

The idea of going into space has been a LONG time dream for me... I get all giddy thinking that I might just be able to in my lifetime!!

Me too. When I was younger and people asked what I wanted to be when I grew up, my answer was "An astronaut".

Being over 40, that dream is long gone. I feel now we have problems on the ground we need to fix 1st before looking to public flights into space. I feel space exploration is important as it has given us alot of the technological advances we see in medicine & daily life, but just for a joy ride? No.

I do think of how my parents were as kids and spaceflight was "fiction". The gains in the last century. And wonder what I will see as this century winds down in 50 years.

Me too. When I was younger and people asked what I wanted to be when I grew up, my answer was "An astronaut".

Being over 40, that dream is long gone. I feel now we have problems on the ground we need to fix 1st before looking to public flights into space. I feel space exploration is important as it has given us alot of the technological advances we see in medicine & daily life, but just for a joy ride? No.

I do think of how my parents were as kids and spaceflight was "fiction". The gains in the last century. And wonder what I will see as this century winds down in 50 years.

Yes, there may be problems on Earth. But there always have been and always will be. So I don't see the point in stopping the advancement of traveling to space. Making it public is going to decrease the price, plus having more companies work on the same or similar problems will yield better results.

I think the aviation industry is the perfect example, since spacecraft and aircraft are very similar.