These lag spike are driving me crazy

parrot

After I connect, about every two minutes or so this happens:post-8437-0-57746100-1338207042_thumb.jpg

I have killed every process I can find, transmission, pidgin, conky, serviio.....

I ran iftop, and during the spike the only thing using my connection was ET.post-8437-0-12479100-1338207762_thumb.png

my cfg settings are:

max packets at 50, rate at 25000, and snaps at 40.

Any ideas??

• Administrators

snaps 40 is of no use to u. I don't know why people change snaps...

From u lagometer, I see more of a ping issue. Run MTR ..

mtr hardcore.clan-fa.com

and post the results here.

in sequential order:

post-8437-0-88779600-1338210750_thumb.pngpost-8437-0-59497800-1338210769_thumb.pngpost-8437-0-13143700-1338210787_thumb.pngpost-8437-0-00250500-1338210796_thumb.png

ran with report parameter: post-8437-0-73988400-1338211124_thumb.png

I ran mtp on my laptop, and the spikes are confined to the desktop. I'm going to try a firewall and see what happens. (close some ports)

• Clan Friend

You have a very high ping in those mtr screenshots, an average of 21 ms at first hop is really bad. (I suppose you weren't dowloading/uploading anything while doing that test).

192.168.1.1 should be your router I guess, you have a high ping there already, so no wonder your ping to the server is high.

So it's definitely a network issue, your frames per second in game are probably stable (type /cg_drawfps 1 to show) unless your cpu is too busy and causes a delay, but when you were running mtr your cpu wasn't probably busy, and yet you have peaks of 600 ping.

If you ping 192.168.1.1 for a while, while not doing anything, is it always unsteady like that?

You say that from your laptop mtr output is normal? Maybe you have some qos rule in your router which limits your bandwidth in some way?

p.s.

use 20 snaps, the server runs at 20 fps, so you can't get more than that

tried pinging 192.168.1.1...steady at 1-1.6 for a bit, then three times running jumped to 4-500. wtf? I checked my router, and there is no qos enabled.

I'm going to power down and switch it to a hard line (involves moving this 60 pound beast into another room) and see if the problems persist.

Could be my wireless card perhaps?

• Administrators

OR Interference in your wifi from micro wave or near by router on same frequency, etc...

If you wireless card is damaged then you would see stable increase in your ping and not sporadic..

What router do you use?

• Clan Friend

at this point I think it's not your os configuration or game, it's the connection to your router itself.

I didn't know you were using wireless, but if there are interferences that could be the reason, maybe if you try to change the channel

ok.

Running hardwired to the router, the problem disappeared. (yay!)

Now, question is, is linux not playing nice with my usb wireless modem or do I just need to switch usb ports.....gonna find out in a sec.

@dare cisco linksys e1000

tried switching to a different usb port, no dice; if anything it got worse.

gonna see if I can switch freq.

edit* tried witching channels....got this:post-8437-0-27780300-1338243788_thumb.png

second edit* In any case I'm moving in a week or so, have to switch providers. Assuming there is no old cable bill lurking around, I plan on getting service with Time Warner. When they come out, I'll make sure the hookup is next to the desktop, thus rendering irrelevant the flakiness of the modem/router. I'm tempted to point the finger at my distro, cuz this problem never occured under winbloze 7 using the same setup.