Snow Leopard VS. LION

kentikins

Hey, I've been a big fan of Snow Leopard and after using Lion, I didn't think it was worth buying, especially as Snow Leopard is compatible with older games and other software. But now i feel like upgrading my os.

Should I upgrade to Lion?

Should i not give in to the hype of Lion?

or Should i wait for Mountain Lion (this summer)?

help me out, please?

• 2 weeks later...

Wait. Lion is pretty good but it did get rid of some cool features i.e. Spaces. If Mt. Lion seems alright then you should get it. Like I did with Lion, I'm going to wait to see what M.L. is all about.

I personally never understood why you should permanently update. Half a year ago I switched from leopard to snow leopard and the only reason was a single programm.

Since the "older" OS Xs are still fine and (at least I hope/think so :) ) secure, I'll stay with snow leopard until 2015 ;).

Anyway:

If you want to update...wait for Mt.Lion. You'll be able to wait these few months ;)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

With Lion, they got rid of Rosetta so anything PowerPC based won't work...it's the only reason I haven't upgraded myself...so...for anyone thinking about making the switch, plug this into terminal:

system_profiler SPApplicationsDataType | grep -A3 "Kind: PowerPC"

It will give you a list of all applications that will not work in Lion unless you run an earlier version of OSX virtually. Make sure you can do away with those or are willing to pay however much it costs to run a virtual OS (Apple sells Parallels for $80...don't know where you'd get the OS, though) before you update.

• 4 weeks later...

I love lion, and I want mountian lion, but bring back power pc, I needed it.

Power is an evolutionary dead-end on personal computers, and was somewhat overhyped by Apple and IBM for such uses. It's fantastic on big iron, where power consumption and heat aren't a problem (not if you're willing to spend the money on big iron in the first place, anyway), but it had no future on the PC. Doing quite well in the embedded space, though, where Freescale is selling what is essentially a renamed G4 on a smaller die for mobile devices that don't require the calibre of horsepower that a Core chip brings.

What you might see Apple do in the future is drop Intel once their own "A" chips powering the iPhone get stout enough to handle laptops, iMacs, and Mac Mini's.

Edited by Sir Giblet Godfrey