How to manage hundreds of online passwords?

PiNoY

Do you have 10 or more passwords to remember? Have you tried not to use computer for quite a while and had forgotten your password as soon as you sit in front of your PC?

Here's a tip. Use LastPass. It's FREE, it's great to use and wonderful to have. Once you start using Lastpass, you will just need to remember one password ever to open up your jewelry box of passwords!

I personally use Lastpass to remember more than hundred passwords that I use with my online activity . This software can generate random passwords for new websites and save those with Lastpass. I have option to auto-fill, auto-login, auto-authenticate or manually authenticate.

You can setup one-way authentication system for all your favorite signup links like Facebook, Youtube, GMail, Yahoo and much more. Or choose to have a two-way authentication system using a unique and individual grid authentication image that you can keep with your mobile (or online storage) if you think you cannot trust the computer you are using at the moment.

It's available on Linux, Windows, Mac and mobile, you can install it with your Firefox, Chrome, Opera, See more: https://lastpass.com/misc_download.php

Lifehacker says:

LastPass puts all of your individual passwords behind one master password. When you type in that master password, LastPass can then automatically log you in to any web site you visit with saved login credentials. Even better, LastPass syncs passwords over the Internet, so all your saved passwords on your work computer, for example, will always be synced up on your home computer.

Video Tutorials: https://lastpass.com...screencasts.php

FAQs: https://lastpass.com/support.php?lpnorefresh=1

Of course, the premium version offers more features.

Edited by Fearless Staff

All my passwords are the same . Easier for me .

I'd say that's a bad and dangerous practice.

I'm not sure about having one master pass and when that one gets leaked, everything gets leaked, tho it looks like it got good reviews. Anyone had experience with LastPass so far?

I've been using a method for years that works damn near pretty awesome for me, don't have to remember any password, and every password is different. Here is what I do.

Whether it is a website or program I take the first and last characters of the website/program insert a set of numbers in between and one special character at the end.

For example:

http://novicelovessex.com

1. I would use the letters n & X (capitalize the last character as some website or programs require one)
  2. Insert 123456
  3. Append special character $

Password: n123456X$

Now all you have to ever remember is your #'s and special character.

I used Lastpass but they had a few security breaches that made me stay away from them, I can only imagine Lastpass is a honey pot for hackers, and thus under constant attacks and exploits.

• Like 1

Ive been using it for quite some time now and really works for me. I can change any passwords of any website anytime and still let Lastpass remember them.

Just sharing but if you change any of your password, you would instantly receive an email about that most recent changes. Also, if you think you can't trust your let's say your Windows for possible trojans/malwares, you can keep a printed copy of your unique grid image, which would serve as your secondary authentication that would be prompted if you chose not to trust that PC of yours.

So far so good. But dont just take my word for it, try it. It's easy to uninstall anyway.

• Clan Friend

I use a free software called keepass both for win and linux, but I don't have many passwords anyway

Probably that lastpass has got more features than the software I use, but I don't know if I would feel safe to store my passwords online in 1 place, with the one I use it's all stored in a file in my pc or an usb memory stick, and it's portable.

• Like 1

I'd say that's a bad and dangerous practice.

I'm not sure about having one master pass and when that one gets leaked, everything gets leaked, tho it looks like it got good reviews. Anyone had experience with LastPass so far?

Yes i agree but my email is slightly different , i had to change it because i forgot the password once . So if it gets leaked i can just find it and change them .

I probably have 30 passwords that I use. I can remember them all.

I probably have even more than that lol, I can remember them all. Worst case scenario, 99.9999% of sites offer password resets anyway..

• Like 1

What I don't understand is why lastpass is safer than just using the same password for multiple online accounts? isn't it worse? since now there are essentially two ways into any one of your accounts? the regular password and then the lastpass one?

Please correct me if I misunderstood something though.

I actually have 19 sets of 60-character randomly generated long passwords and 142 30-character short passwords. All saved with lastpass. I keep on changing those 19 sets of long password every 15 days using Lastpass, and I heard from cable news that CIA even changes their password every 2 hours...

BTW all of those mentioned passwords are work related and I cant afford to undergo password reset. Password reset to those equipment means they have to go offline for a while - which means service downtime to clients and end-users. :(

I actually have 19 sets of 60-character randomly generated long passwords and 142 30-character short passwords. All saved with lastpass. I keep on changing those 19 sets of long password every 15 days using Lastpass, and I heard from cable news that CIA even changes their password every 2 hours...

BTW all of those mentioned passwords are work related and I cant afford to undergo password reset. Password reset to those equipment means they have to go offline for a while - which means service downtime to clients and end-users. :(

You are not CIA though and 30/60-character passwords are pretty paranoid, aren't they? Even for work equipment.

You have 160 highly secure passwords and store them all in one location? I see a point in using 1Password locally on your computer, but it seems a little ironic to send your 60-character passwords to a central location where they are stored with millions of other passwords. I'd rather print them out and stick it on your computer.

A purely random 10 or 12-character password with uppercase letters, lowercase letters, numbers and special character is more than enough and you might even remember it without a password manager.

How secure is your master password though?

Here's a sample of grid authentication image :

grid.png

When logging in, Lastpass needs to verify 4 random characters chosen from the above. BOTH master password and grid authentication characters must be correct in order for a successful login.

Every lastpass user had its own randomly generated grid image as shown above, which anyone can print or stick to their PC/ wallet / mobile/ USB stick.

There are several personal passwords that I decided not to save with lastpass ofcourse...I have reasons for that.

Yes, lastpass is of beneficial to what I am doing on daily basis, paranoid as it may seem but I really got used to it.