KONY 2012

Wifestein

Today he is on the news,tomorrow there is anything else on the news. Nothing will change.

Also do you notice the Reactions from African peeps on this ? No ? Search a little bit in the (serious) worldpress.

This guy has been in the news for decades. I first heard about him in 1997 reading a book about Africa.The Lord's Resistance Army ruined the lives of thousands of children in Uganda.

Sam Childers announced in 2010 that he was going into Uganda to hunt him down. He was setting up a children's charity in Uganda as a cover to get lawful entry into the country so he could then pursue Kony. That was one reason why Kony has left Uganda to go into the Congo. Less chance of getting killed by a vigilante in Congo.

Kony will die of old age before anyone catches him. Sad story.

I am surprised by how many people have no clue about this. Really shows how ignorant and shallow people have become. First time I heard about him was 20 years ago. I went on a bit of a rant today when few people emailed me this. Anyways in a week you will all be blissful ignorant again. I will leave you with this thought, instead of sitting and talking about it, go and do one good thing every day and you will change the world.

I'm actually not surprised about this, i figured if i barely heard about him, almost no one would. i barely remember watching a random news thing on cable few years back the issues of Uganda and all the stuff that goes around over there and i remember his name being mentioned.

People aren't really informed at what's going on with the world..... or scratch all that--- they either can't (myself included) due to their life style or several other personal things unless it slaps them across the face. You can blame the media/press, but its a pretty long shot ---people have lives to live, everyone cant be a philanthropist every day. We can't focus or track on everything at once. We essentially need to take care of ourselves before we can for others, no? working our own things out, in effect, works the world out and makes it a better place... that's how i see it, but sometimes we need help. I'm not saying everyone now is selfish or even self-righteous, ergo ignorant, but I can see it feels like that now because we took so long to figure out who Kony is, in a sense.

But like how the video points out, the US congress didnt want to get involved in the "investigation" of the LRA/finding Kony because they literally didnt care about it, it didnt affect the economy, and they weren't a threat to us...Until they saw that people gave a crap.

and they will... as long as people still care about getting kony arrested.

Which its crazy to see how social media like kinda makes us have a new image of the world and how its a new way to raise awareness on things or really see whats going on in the world ... like the world itself is speaking. Look at Egypt and its so-called "Facebook Revolution" now.

But...it took 20 years for people to see who Kony is and what he's done...

So it makes me think, out of all the awareness that comes on an issue, how much action is on the reaction? How much is it possible? Why now, and not earlier? Uganda barely has anything to go on; its a third world country over there :/

*On a side note, the video also stirred some controversy that it was a scam played by Invisible Children all to get cash from the donations, accusing them of fraud and hypocrisy because they ask for money to contribute to the cause (the awareness kit) and that they claim that they are non-profit; and that Kony isn't necessarily a threat anymore.... the word of mouth etc etc.*

By the way, that pyramid scheme in the video completely reflected how we are in the world, we're all getting so materialistic, and i agree with that.

Interesting to see how the video compared Kony to Hitler during the Holocaust and how somewhat similar they are in what they believe in. but pointed how different in turn the world responded to the cause, it was the issue starting to take action on the world, now it should be the world taking action on the issue.

in the end--- *this would be the TL;DR section*

We can go on forever about how we should take action on the problems at hand in the future, and there will always be a different view, which as recent history suggests, caused more problems than solve them. Time will ALWAYS be our biggest challenge.

I'm glad we pretty much made Kony famous now and that hopefully we can bring him to justice, but as cynics or more likely nihilists would agree, the damage has pretty much been done already, eventually nothing will change and they would probably feel that it's too late already, never mind adding that its best just to find and kill him instead of letting him live or even to the morbid comments that we should just let Uganda screw itself over; kinda have to look at it both ways.

I agree with Joe, acknowledging his opinion.... and on the view that we should TRY to start being proactive in any way we can, whenever or however we can... because its actually a world effort to change the world... but...

Luke: All right, I'll give it a try.

Yoda: No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

its the classic "actions speak louder than words" thing.

An interesting blog post from one musician who kinda struck me on his remarks (i figured it would fit here, or add on for more reading spam if interested): http://deadmau5.tumb...nd-my-big-mouth

Edited by deadpnk
  • Like 1

http://blog.foreignpolicy.com/posts/2012/03/07/guest_post_joseph_kony_is_not_in_uganda_and_other_complicated_things

Basically, Invisible Children is a shady organization that uses way too much of their donation money on making videos than anything else. Kony is not in Uganda nor has he been in Uganda for 6 years, but the video does not say that. The video also is just devoid of information - it uses good film making to create a reaction in people. Invisible Children doesn't have a clear solution, except for "stopping Kony." They want to support using military means to do this, even though it will mean the death for the innocent children Kony has as his guards. Even though Kony has had attempted peace talks in the past...

I would not give a cent of my money to Invisible Children. There are better, less flashy organizations doing good work to solve this problem. This viral video is almost worthless (the day after it came out, there was huge talk at my school to start a club for Invisible Children. People made plans about fundraisers, donating, all kinds of stuff...a few days later, everyone had forgotten and no one talked about it anymore). Besides, if this is really your first time hearing about child soldiers in Africa then you need to turn on the news every once in a while.

• Like 2

Video as of this post's time has 77.4 million views from a week ago.... seems like Invisible children has successfully trolled us. :/

*sigh*