FPS Drops

Quovadis

So my gf just bought a new PC so she can get on ET with me .

Specs : Alienware M18x

Icore 7 2.00ghz

6gb Ram DDR3 1333mhz

Geforce 460m 1.5Gb GDDR5

So heres the problem, on ET she gets fps drop ( like a 0.5 sec freeze) even in 800x600 with low graphics.

It happens regulary every 3 seconds and fps always goes from 76 to 56.

I tried everything can't fix this issue. Could someone help me?

post-7409-0-41950500-1325712280_thumb.jpg

Make sure her windows power plan is set to 'High Performance' for a start. That's a common f*ckup with gaming on new systems..

Then obviously make sure you check for the latest graphics drivers on nvidia's website (dont rely on dell driver downloads - they are always out of date by at least a few months in my experience).

Other than that, turn threaded optimisation off for wolfenstein in the nvidia control panel, and then the obvious /cl_maxpackets 100 etc..

Chuck

EDIT: also not sure if it would cause FPS drops like that but try setting pb_sleep to 500 in order to minimise PB disturbance..

• Like 1

I think 2.0Ghz is too low for ET, as ET uses only 1 core. So I wouldn´t wonder about the drops. Capping FPS to lowest FPS is good idea like Unkown said, maybe try firs \com_maxfps 50.

Also you can set different processes to use different cores in Task manager. OS uses usually core 0. So set Affinity for PB to 1st core and for ET 4th, so it sppreads the workload a little. I believe i7 is quadcore?

if its capped at 43, it just go down to 30 and feels the same . About processor , the comp can max MW3 and run BF3 , shouldn't be running great on ET? Btw it doesnt feel like pc cant run it since its a constant minefreeze every 3 secs , always same time between freezes. Anyway thanks for the help everyone , ill try everything said :)

nvm ET only uses one processor . I fail

Oh and yeah quad (some are 6)

I think 2.0Ghz is too low for ET, as ET uses only 1 core. So I wouldn´t wonder about the drops. Capping FPS to lowest FPS is good idea like Unkown said, maybe try firs \com_maxfps 50.

Also you can set different processes to use different cores in Task manager. OS uses usually core 0. So set Affinity for PB to 1st core and for ET 4th, so it sppreads the workload a little. I believe i7 is quadcore?

if its capped at 43, it just go down to 30 and feels the same . About processor , the comp can max MW3 and run BF3 , shouldn't be running great on ET? Btw it doesnt feel like pc cant run it since its a constant minefreeze every 3 secs , always same time between freezes. Anyway thanks for the help everyone , ill try everything said :)

iAbout processor , the comp can max MW3 and run BF3 , shouldn't be running great on ET?

nvm ET only uses one processor . I fail

2GHz is plenty for ET.. But I agree, it wont give you great performance.. I run a 2.5ghz turboboosted to 2.8 when running ET, and it doesn't give me anything astounding..

Are you using a custom config or default settings ?

Do you have these settings turned off in your graphic cards Control Panel (anisotropic, pre-rendering etc) ?

try to run it on just 1 core.

ET is using much CPU, but all this is not explaining why you have lags all 3 sec :?

maybe any program is using the conection ?

did you have a Antivir with livescan ?

There's no way that your computer wouldn't run ET smooth. try changing the max fps to 125. i used to get lag whenever i uncapped them . and also you should follow the advice of running ET with just 1 core which is enough. Make sure that you have no anti-viruses /firewall interrupting.

If it didn't work then let's believe that it's PB related. try the following cvars:

pb_security 0

pb_sleep 500

pb_system 0

Some times you get fps drops caused by interruptions on your sound card, remember that ET is really old and there's a chance that the sound filters aren't the most optimal for new age sound cards.

If it's the case then the following cvars should make a difference.

s_mixPreStep "0.05"

s_mixahead "0.2"

s_doppler "1"

s_separation "0.5"

If it didn't help either then let me ask you, did you copy paste that ET installation? If so there's an issue, whenever a profile is created an ET cfg is also created on each folder which includes everything related to your gaming interface /connection/ hardware, many times FPS drops are caused due to a command called r_lastvalidrender which sets the GPU that you were using when you created the profile. So delete all the profiles in your ET installation and try again.

• Like 1

Everything except ET running fine? Maybe reinstal system? Delete ET, download it again and instal. I had the same situation (i had even weaker computer) but after system reinstalation everything was fine.

• Clan Friend

If it happens every 3 seconds I guess it's something external to ET. Check if other apps use your cpu while you play, via process explorer or any tool that can show you a cpu usage graph for every process.

Make sure you have a low detail cfg as well, but that is another problem.

Your screenshot doesn't show much tbh, ctrl+console key opens a smaller console (while alt opens it fullscreen) use ctrl next time.

And if you play etpro, try /cg_lagometer 2, it will show a graph of your fps, instead of the usual ping (I don't know about other mods).

A similar thing for every mod (it's in et engine) is /timegraph 1 but unless you have huge fps drops it's harder to read

Don't reinstall ET before you figure out what it is (imho)

pb_sleep 500

Is the only thing that changed something.

temporary fixing the problem but since it changes everytime I connect is there any other fixes.

is it this meaning there is another problem ? like firewall blocking PB or whatever?

Btw thanks to everyone for the help

Is the only thing that changed something.

temporary fixing the problem but since it changes everytime I connect is there any other fixes.

is it this meaning there is another problem ? like firewall blocking PB or whatever?

Btw thanks to everyone for the help

Well, put it in your autoexec :P or just do /pb_sleep 500; pb_writecfg; to write it to your pb config :)

• 8 years later...
Guest inf3rno
On 1/4/2012 at 10:27 PM, Quovadis said:

So my gf just bought a new PC so she can get on ET with me .

Specs : Alienware M18x

Icore 7 2.00ghz

6gb Ram DDR3 1333mhz

Geforce 460m 1.5Gb GDDR5

So heres the problem, on ET she gets fps drop ( like a 0.5 sec freeze) even in 800x600 with low graphics.

It happens regulary every 3 seconds and fps always goes from 76 to 56.

I tried everything can't fix this issue. Could someone help me?

post-7409-0-41950500-1325712280_thumb.jpg

Same here ever since 2008-2010ish when I changed to Win7 from XP. I changed a lot of hardware and even ISP too, I could not figure out in a decade what went wrong. :S I just noticed that even when I host server I got FPS drops in every 2-3 secs. I have i5 4670k, rx 580 currently, they should be able to handle this game. Even my previous config should have been a lot more than enough, still I got constant input lag and relative low FPS compared to the hardware. I solved the tearing with 120Hz vsync, but I still got this lag with FPS drops, which makes gaming a lot harder than it should be. I am curious if anybody managed to figure this out. I found a similar post in reddit and they just solved it by using ET Legacy, which does not have it according to them. I am still curious what broke my ET carrier in half...