• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log In with Steam Log In with Google Sign In
  • Create Account
Photo

FPS Drops

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

Quovadis

Quovadis

Recruiter for CS:GO

• Recruiting Team
  • 1,367 posts
Has a brilliant future
  • Admin:14
  • Server:Hardcore ET
  • Alias:Quovadis
  • T-M:ET:-3-1
    CS:GO:1-0
So my gf just bought a new PC so she can get on ET with me .
Specs : Alienware M18x
Icore 7 2.00ghz
6gb Ram DDR3 1333mhz
Geforce 460m 1.5Gb GDDR5

So heres the problem, on ET she gets fps drop ( like a 0.5 sec freeze) even in 800x600 with low graphics.
It happens regulary every 3 seconds and fps always goes from 76 to 56.
I tried everything can't fix this issue. Could someone help me?

Attached Thumbnails

• Copy of2012-01-04-161954-supplydepot2.jpg

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!

Chuckun

Chuckun

The Chuckunator

• Co-Leader
  • 5,935 posts
Name known to all
  • Admin:19
  • Alias:=F|A=TeaAndScones
Contributor
Make sure her windows power plan is set to 'High Performance' for a start. That's a common f*ckup with gaming on new systems..

Then obviously make sure you check for the latest graphics drivers on nvidia's website (dont rely on dell driver downloads - they are always out of date by at least a few months in my experience).

Other than that, turn threaded optimisation off for wolfenstein in the nvidia control panel, and then the obvious /cl_maxpackets 100 etc..

Chuck

EDIT: also not sure if it would cause FPS drops like that but try setting pb_sleep to 500 in order to minimise PB disturbance..

Unknown

Unknown

L9: Master

• Co-Leader
  • 2,491 posts
Name known to all
  • EvolveHQ:faunknown
  • Server:Jay1
  • Alias:Unknown*
  • T-M:ET: 29-16

Donator

try /com_maxfps 43 ??

Vanaraud

Vanaraud

L10: Grand Master

• ET Member
  • 3,416 posts
I am just really nice
  • Admin:15
  • Server:Jay2
  • Alias:Vael
  • T-M:ET:2-1
Contributor
I think 2.0Ghz is too low for ET, as ET uses only 1 core. So I wouldn´t wonder about the drops. Capping FPS to lowest FPS is good idea like Unkown said, maybe try firs \com_maxfps 50.
Also you can set different processes to use different cores in Task manager. OS uses usually core 0. So set Affinity for PB to 1st core and for ET 4th, so it sppreads the workload a little. I believe i7 is quadcore?

Quovadis

Quovadis

• Recruiting Team
  • 1,367 posts
Has a brilliant future

if its capped at 43, it just go down to 30 and feels the same . About processor , the comp can max MW3 and run BF3 , shouldn't be running great on ET? Btw it doesnt feel like pc cant run it since its a constant minefreeze every 3 secs , always same time between freezes. Anyway thanks for the help everyone , ill try everything said :)

nvm ET only uses one processor . I fail
Oh and yeah quad (some are 6)

I think 2.0Ghz is too low for ET, as ET uses only 1 core. So I wouldn´t wonder about the drops. Capping FPS to lowest FPS is good idea like Unkown said, maybe try firs \com_maxfps 50.
Also you can set different processes to use different cores in Task manager. OS uses usually core 0. So set Affinity for PB to 1st core and for ET 4th, so it sppreads the workload a little. I believe i7 is quadcore?

if its capped at 43, it just go down to 30 and feels the same . About processor , the comp can max MW3 and run BF3 , shouldn't be running great on ET? Btw it doesnt feel like pc cant run it since its a constant minefreeze every 3 secs , always same time between freezes. Anyway thanks for the help everyone , ill try everything said :)

iAbout processor , the comp can max MW3 and run BF3 , shouldn't be running great on ET?

nvm ET only uses one processor . I fail

Chuckun

Chuckun

The Chuckunator

• Co-Leader
  • 5,935 posts
Name known to all
Contributor
2GHz is plenty for ET.. But I agree, it wont give you great performance.. I run a 2.5ghz turboboosted to 2.8 when running ET, and it doesn't give me anything astounding..

Glyphz

Glyphz

L5: Journeyman

• Inactive Member
  • 751 posts
Getting Better
  • Admin:12
  • Server:Jay2
  • Alias:Glyphz
  • Steam ID:STEAM_0:0:40148521
  • T-M:ET: 1-1
    CoD: 0-0
    TF2: 0-0
Are you using a custom config or default settings ?

Do you have these settings turned off in your graphic cards Control Panel (anisotropic, pre-rendering etc) ?

stabak

stabak

L8: Grand Teacher

• Co-Leader
  • 1,795 posts
Has a spectacular aura
  • Server:None
  • Steam ID:Stabak
  • T-M:ET 1-0
Contributor
try to run it on just 1 core.
ET is using much CPU, but all this is not explaining why you have lags all 3 sec :?

maybe any program is using the conection ?

did you have a Antivir with livescan ?

blazer

blazer

L3: Novice

• User
  • 59 posts
Unknown at this point
  • Server:None
Contributor
There's no way that your computer wouldn't run ET smooth. try changing the max fps to 125. i used to get lag whenever i uncapped them . and also you should follow the advice of running ET with just 1 core which is enough. Make sure that you have no anti-viruses /firewall interrupting.

If it didn't work then let's believe that it's PB related. try the following cvars:
pb_security 0
pb_sleep 500
pb_system 0

Some times you get fps drops caused by interruptions on your sound card, remember that ET is really old and there's a chance that the sound filters aren't the most optimal for new age sound cards.

If it's the case then the following cvars should make a difference.

s_mixPreStep "0.05"
s_mixahead "0.2"
s_doppler "1"
s_separation "0.5"

If it didn't help either then let me ask you, did you copy paste that ET installation? If so there's an issue, whenever a profile is created an ET cfg is also created on each folder which includes everything related to your gaming interface /connection/ hardware, many times FPS drops are caused due to a command called r_lastvalidrender which sets the GPU that you were using when you created the profile. So delete all the profiles in your ET installation and try again.

VS|Argun

VS|Argun

L3: Novice

• Regular User
  • 110 posts
A step in the right direction
  • Admin:5
  • Server:Jay1
Everything except ET running fine? Maybe reinstal system? Delete ET, download it again and instal. I had the same situation (i had even weaker computer) but after system reinstalation everything was fine.

SunLight

SunLight

L11: Assassin

• Clan Friend
  • 5,091 posts
Is a bearer of wisdom
  • Admin:10
  • Server:ETSW2
Contributor
If it happens every 3 seconds I guess it's something external to ET. Check if other apps use your cpu while you play, via process explorer or any tool that can show you a cpu usage graph for every process.

Make sure you have a low detail cfg as well, but that is another problem.

Your screenshot doesn't show much tbh, ctrl+console key opens a smaller console (while alt opens it fullscreen) use ctrl next time.
And if you play etpro, try /cg_lagometer 2, it will show a graph of your fps, instead of the usual ping (I don't know about other mods).
A similar thing for every mod (it's in et engine) is /timegraph 1 but unless you have huge fps drops it's harder to read

Don't reinstall ET before you figure out what it is (imho)

Quovadis

Quovadis

• Recruiting Team
  • 1,367 posts
Has a brilliant future

pb_sleep 500

Is the only thing that changed something.
temporary fixing the problem but since it changes everytime I connect is there any other fixes.
is it this meaning there is another problem ? like firewall blocking PB or whatever?
Btw thanks to everyone for the help

Chuckun

Chuckun

The Chuckunator

• Co-Leader
  • 5,935 posts
Name known to all
Contributor

Is the only thing that changed something.
temporary fixing the problem but since it changes everytime I connect is there any other fixes.
is it this meaning there is another problem ? like firewall blocking PB or whatever?
Btw thanks to everyone for the help

Well, put it in your autoexec :P or just do /pb_sleep 500; pb_writecfg; to write it to your pb config :)

Quovadis

Quovadis

• Recruiting Team
  • 1,367 posts
Has a brilliant future
Kk thanks chuck :)